Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Plutonia Experiment

I still can't believe that I almost managed to get into the top 10. I've only played Plutonia a couple times and can't remember half of the maps, how the hell did that happen?

30 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Well, you called it. At least you can take comfort in that. That and you have company, what with joining all the others souls staring down at the mountain of bodies on that bridge.

By the way, nice job sneaking in right under the wire for this month!

Yes, I do take comfort in the crowd of people who died on Map02, but that doesn't make me any less angry with myself. I watched the whole demo before I posted and I was just shaking my head over what I did. It shouldn't have happened. I should instead have been facing the several gnarly situations in Map03 and Map04. Instead, I flat-out choked and snatched defeat from the slavering jaws of victory . . . again! :D

The problem really seems to be flop-sweat. Sometimes I've thought about recording a practice run so I wouldn't have flop-sweat, but that defeats the purpose of Ironman. If I started recording practice runs, I could quietly decide to pick the one that turned out best. Instead, the right way is to not record the practice runs, and instead build yourself up until you're supposedly "ready" for the official run, and record that. And that's where the flop-sweat and the choking comes into play. It's part of the experience that this time you have to make it count, because there's no turning back. I just have to get better at handling my nerves. ;)

On getting it in under the wire, that's an unfortunate consequence of how I get loaded with commitments by the middle of a month, so I have little or no time to practice from that point forward, but somehow I can usually find a couple hours at the end of the month for an official run. I started this run much later than I wanted to, and I was worried that if the run became successful, I might not have time to actually win the Keyboard Kup and would have to commit suicide somewhere in order to have time to pack and upload it. Heh, didn't have to worry about that, now did I? But having that extra time constraint may have contributed to my bad performance. Yeah, we'll blame it on that. ;D

I look forward to seeing you back in the mix for September. :)

ok, that bridge claimed the most doomer lives of any plutonia map, I see. I would have liked to participate  (never did,  mostly for having little time or being away), but i have to endure 3 more days of my little vacation before returning to the fray :p

no idea up to where I'd make it, I know plutonia of course, but just not well enough.

@Steve D Well, no matter how hard you try, you will never truly beat me and my actual mad doomgod skills! It's not like I will ever make the same mistake as you and choke on the first map like a- what are you saying what april run I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA KSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRTH

The way I've found to avoid flop-sweat is to just... not really expect anything when you go into this. Play for the sake of playing, if you die you die, if you win you win, whatever happens happens. While this does sometimes result in me successfully fulfilling my lack of expectations (sic), I've found that on average this helps with maintaining the kind of dissonant serenity that is rather conductive to not making mistakes. Also, one of the reasons I uploaded that delightful 50 monsters performance is because I knew that it would ensure that whatever I do in the future I couldn't possibly embarass myself any more than that, which kinda helps?

Although that run didn't actually get last place, so you know, there is actually room for improvement on the embarassment front????

I might stream my next ironman live. Maybe. I'm not sure. Still working out the details. If I do stream, I guess I could toss the time and link to your PM or something?

14 hours ago, Steve D said:

I look forward to seeing you back in the mix for September. :)

Thanks.

I look forward to being back, even if it does end up being toward the bottom. But who knows? Maybe I'll surprise everyone (myself included) and climb out of the basement next month. Either way, as long as Alfonzo chooses anything but TNT: Evilution, I'll be back.

Edited by Pegleg : Grammar

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Thanks.

I look forward to being back, even if it does end up being toward the bottom. But who knows? Maybe I'll surprise everyone (myself included) and climb out of the basement next month. Either way, as long as Alfonzo choose anything but TNT: Evilution, I'll be back.

Ok Alfonzo, you know what to do for this month's Ironman ;D.

7 minutes ago, Anima Zero said:

Ok Alfonzo, you know what to do for this month's Ironman ;D.

If he doesn't want me filling out the bottom of the curve, I can't stop him. Of course, he can only do that once more, and then you guys are stuck with me. <maniacal laughter>

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Either way, as long as Alfonzo chooses anything but TNT: Evilution, I'll be back.

My bet is TNT for september :D

19 minutes ago, yakfak said:

I just wanna bump this to have a giggle about the concept of Plutonia being "not that hard"

It's the players that makes Plutonia harder than it is.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

I just wanna bump this to have a giggle about the concept of Plutonia being "not that hard"

But it's true.