Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

Weirdest/Rarest games that you own?

I don't think these games are that rare but they're definitely weird...

20180803_115922.jpg.8bb9647f962cad64257185caf9e252c3.jpg

Surprisingly, CoD for DS is actually kinda fun ._.

i own Alien Solder for the Megadrive/Genesis - its roughly £300 complete on eBay at present

unfortunately mine is missing the manual but im not looking to sell it so not really that bothered

(this isnt my copy, just a random pic from ebay i c&pasted)

s-l500.jpg

I have 2 copies of E.T. and one pacman for the 2600, i suppose both games aren't that rare since they were quite common, but still it's weird owning both games that get the blame for the 1984 crash.

I also have a pole position arcade machine in my garage, it sometimes works.... Also stored somewhere in my house is an original pacman arcade board, that most likely doesn't work anymore since it was stored in a moist place, along with plenty other arcade boards that i have no idea what games they are

I used to have a captain comic nes cart (the one with the baby blue color), but i sold it. Big regret of mine since i understand that game was quite rare!

As for snes games, well the one's i have aren't that rare, but the one's that most rare and complete it's sunset riders, since it has both box, game and manuals (including a free subscription to the konami gaming news... or something like that... oh boy!), but the box it's quite messed. I also have a super metroid cartdrige. Not rare sure, but i thought it was worth mentioning that the battery still worked in 2015 (haven't checked it out ever since), so that means that 20 years later, you could still save the game lol

What else...hmmmm... Oh!, i have R.O.B. somewhere around my house too!

Rarest is probably a complete boxed copy of Spelljammer in near mint condition. The guy on Ebay had no idea what it was (neither did I to be honest), only that it was taking up space in his attic.

I'll mention Crusader of Centy for the Genesis, which isn't super-rare but is notorious for replicas being sold as original. I always ask for a closeup photo of the cartridge label, to check for VCR heat damage. :D

Dragon Warrior 2 and Faria both had working batteries last I looked; this hasn't happened to me yet, but while there's life there's hope.

The well of weirdness never runs dry with old Mac shareware. Doom scripting still hasn't caught up.

I have all my 2600 games... I guess. For rare games they're usually $2 at retro stores. Are those rare? A working knob controller for the 2600, because they all go bad. I have a few pre-Atari consoles that I inherited since my dad owned a vacation resort. So there are a bunch of old entertainment things that are probably rare.

Other than that I have a bunch of GBA forgeries. Why make a forgery of an expensive $80 cart when you can make a $5 forgery complete with the box, instruction manual, the secondary care manual and so on. I have DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 on GBA. I hear those are rare.

I still have a pre-order slip of WWF Royal Rumble... for GameBoy. A game that never came out, but they still took my money. That's probably the rarest of all. I assume it was an error on a Toys R Us flier. I can't find any information on the GameBoy version or that it was ever in the works.

An Original CD copy of Ultimate Doom.

Also UFO:Enemy Unknown with Box, Manual, and Floppies. Worms 1 on CD. And the special edition of Morrowind. All bought with pocket money when I was a kid.

Probably not too rare, honestly, but I've always been of the opinion of 'why buy the original carts when you can emulate?'

Hard to say when it comes to rarity since I mostly focus on the 1990s-era vintage PC sphere, where it seems like stuff can often be rare without having a lot of demand to drive prices up the way you get with, say, the NES scene.  Good candidates off the top of my head:

- Realm of the Paladin on CD-ROM.  (A DOS RPG obscure enough that it seems to be under MobyGames' radar.  Not exactly a good game though.)

- Zaero expansion for Quake II.  Although I've seen this come up for sale often enough that I wonder how much it's actually "rare" and how much it's just overpriced.

- A rather extensive number of shareware game / add-on compilation CDs, some of which may well be fairly rare in terms of surviving copies though they're usually not priced very high (nor deserve to be, usually, though there's always a chance to strike gold on something that wasn't widely distributed but happened to get onto a particular disc).  Some of these are probably also good candidates for "weird" depending on what your definition of weird is (discs that include bootleg stuff, discs with funky frontends and whatnot, discs that are so trash you wonder at the audacity of printing and selling them, etc).

Other candidates for "weird" that aren't necessarily rare:

- Mega Race.  A not-super-interesting combat racing game as far as the gameplay is concerned, but the FMV clips are priceless.

- Etrom: The Astral Essence.  An action RPG with a weird blend of post-apocalyptic/Orwellian/occult stuff for a setting.  Frustratingly buggy, story felt a little half-baked, and probably not that great on balance either, (plus how long I ended up wandering looking for the path to the endgame because of a misprint in a vague clue that said northwest when it should have said northeast), but undeniably interesting.

- Necromania: Traps of Darkness.  It looks sort of like a Gauntlet-style game at first glance but it actually has this weird deathmatch element where you fight against players/bots to try to be the one that makes it out of the level, instead of cooperating.

One seemingly rare game I've got is the Hidden below. The first German made FPS

My weirdest game would probably be Doraemon 2 for Gameboy, I never understood what the characters were saying since it was in Japanese but I was able to beat it many times since I was a child. Maybe also my PC copy of Team Xtreme - Operation: Eco-nightmare.

I'm a huge fan of the Parodius Series, they're not particularly rare besides being mostly jap exclusive but definitely some of the more weird games in my collection.

20180805_142149.png

I have a copy of the PC game XS.

Then there's my copy of Faselei! on my NeoGeo Pocket Color.  And the NeoGeo Pocket Color in general, I guess. I also have a King of Fighters game for it, and Super Real Mahjong.

I have a copy of The Last Blade for NeoGeo, despite not having a NeoGeo anymore. I keep it in the hopes I'll have the system again someday.

And of course a bunch of odd 2600 and 7800 games from my childhood, along with some TI-99/4a games.

I don't have any of my old STe games anymore, got the manual for Substation still.

My small jaguar collection is slightly rare I guess. Oh and I do have a copy of the PS1 Spacehulk: Vengeance of the blood angels (one for you @YukiRaven ) Still kicking around, easier to get running compared to the PC version.

EDIT: Also I have a CD copy of Space crusade, can't believe I forgot that considering my avatar!

Edited by Liberation

@Liberation ooo I love that game.  I have it on Saturn, though.  It's atmosphere has been a big influence on me, I think.

Speaking of Jaguar, I still have one of those.  The games I have for it are Alien vs Predator, Checkered Flag, Tempest 2000, Doom, Kasumi Ninja, Cybermorph, Flashback, and I think a few others.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the DOS version of Space Hulk as well.  And the D-Rok album that came out around the same time.

@YukiRaven Has found the record archive viewer!

The close combat with the genestealers was the best combat ever, 2/10 chance of winning I reckon with practise.

Your jag collection is bigger than mine :-) Got AvP and Doom though!

I've got G-nome and Helicops in their Big boxes.

Edited by MrD!zone

I have a bunch of small press tabletop RPGs, all of which are probably a good deal more rare than even the rarest computer game, simply by virtue of the comparative market size :)

I once collected Sega Saturn games and Hardware. I guess the most "rare" one of those games was Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru. When I bought my copy it cost me about 200 USD. Worth it? Kinda. If you have the money and / or are crazy. It's a neat little game that looks quite beautiful on the Saturn.

For the PSone my most rare possessions were probably Adventures Of Little Ralph, Gaia Seed and Stahlfeder. But a couple of years ago I decided to sell everything off. Like literally everything. All my games, all my DVDs, all my Blu-rays, etc. Now I have virtually nothing apart from standard things like clothes, a phone and a computer. xD

For a long time I actively collected Nintendo/SEGA bootlegs, so a huge chunk of my collection is weird.

Famicom (nes) bootlegs include

Donkey Kong Country 4

Earthworm Jim 3

Kart Fighter

Super Mario World

Aladdin (extremely faithful SNES port)

various versions of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter

For Genesis, the biggest offender would have to be "Super Mario Bros" which is a hack of "Squirrel King" which is a ripoff of Chip n Dale. Yeah..

Crush! Deluxe, Ripper, Rexblade, Cyclones, Civnet, Fucking Brink...

Edit: Also Weird Dreams and Ed Hunter

Edited by Randy87

im an avid video game collector and have a huge collection i have spoke about my 93 boxed doom on here before that has to be the most expensive game at around £400, but i got die hard arcade saturn exclusive today it was about £50

3f2h81ijvue11.jpg

My dad has quite a few old Sierra PC games in the basement on a shelf. Never tried to get any of them working (don't have any compatible computers), but we've got the original Leisure Suit Larry (1-3 I think), the Space Quest collection (I-IV), Space Quest V, the King's Quest collection and various others. I don't know how rare they actually are, but they are all complete-in-box.

While I've never played any of them, the quirky in-universe magazines that Sierra put in all of their games are simply a delight to flip through:

Spoiler

650444682_SpaceQuestarticle.jpg.cf5a831567e3e062179f1a194e777f92.jpg

Does Cyril Cyberpunk for the DOS count?

It's not that rare, but sure is weird, partially because, similarly to the first, 1995's Rayman instalment, it wasn't even properly playtested, given you cannot even progress beyond one point quite early in the game without cheating (I guess the second Egyptian-themed level). The premise of slaughtering teddy bears on a hoverboard just because a stuffed toy got flushed down the toilet and that in 2224 a kid with an alter-hero alias like Cyril Smith counts as "normal" is wicked enough I guess.

Also! Being absolutely oblivious to consoles and their respective games until quite recent days, the first Mario game I was introduced to was the 1994 "Mario & Luigi" programmed by Mike Wiering.

I'm gonna be honest, I was genuinely baffled by the fact that the entire franchise wasn't meant for PC at all.