Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grillsen

how to play pwads through crispy doom

this may sound stupid but i cannot figure out how to load a pwad with crispy doom. It works fine with prboom and zdoom but crispy doom refuses to work. The pwad i'm trying to load in particular is "doom the way id did" which i know for a fact is supposed to work with crispy doom or chocolate doom. I tried dragging and dropping the wad on crispy doom exe and it just loaded normal doom 1 and i also tried launching it through zdl and i got an error that said, "this is not the registered version". I was however able to make the wad run if i created a multiplayer game with the wad, so clearly is able to load some how but it just refuses to for some reason.

You say it works with PRBoom, so I'm assuming that you have doom.wad and not doom1.wad.

Does it work with Chocolate Doom? If so, then it may be an issue with Crispy Doom and you'll want to bring it to fabian's attention.

If you do have doom1.wad and not doom.wad, then that's what the problem is, because doom1.wad is the shareware version of Doom and doom.wad is the registered version.

I have Doom.wad because i bought all the games off steam so that can't be the problem. And like i said i can get the pwad to run through multiplayer in the crispy doom setup so it works but not through zdl or by dragging and dropping like i should be able to do. And no i have not tried it through chocolate doom so i will try but i would imagine i would run into the same problem since they are both very similar.

I always use command prompts for Windows. If you are on Windows, try that.

winkey+R.

Then go to browse and locate where Crispy Doom exe is. Then after all that type in (after one space) -iwad doom.wad -merge dtwid.wad

That's assuming those are both in the same folder as Crispy Doom. If not, either move them there or you will have to type the full path for them.

For me the full command prompt looks like this:

"C:\Ddata\Doom\Crispy Doom 5.2\crispy-doom.exe" -iwad doom.wad -merge dtwid.wad

Note: Doom 2 is the default, so you don't need to type in "iwad doom2.wad" for anything that uses Doom 2.

12 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I always use command prompts for Windows. If you are on Windows, try that.

winkey+R.

Then go to browse and locate where Crispy Doom exe is. Then after all that type in (after one space) -iwad doom.wad -merge dtwid.wad

That's assuming those are both in the same folder as Crispy Doom. If not, either move them there or you will have to type the full path for them.

Note: Doom 2 is the default, so you don't need to type in "iwad doom2.wad" for anything that uses Doom 2.

That worked thank you very much. I knew that it was probably just me being stupid and not doing something right. It would be nice to figure out how to run it through zdl though since i use that as kind of a hub to load all my doom wads and select between source ports.

ok i figured out why the pwad wasn't playing through zdl its because i'm playing through steam and steam creates these random command lines (-exit -fullscreen and etc). These command lines were clogging up the external files section of zdl and not allowing it to read the pwads that i was putting in at all. Anyways thanks for all of your guys' help and sorry for such a dumb post lol

I might suggest setting up your preferred launcher as a "non-Steam game" to not get those annoying command lines for DOSBox, and honestly it be easier to play from one general shortcut than say "The Ultimate Doom but not really." Up to you on whether or not you really care about sharing screenshots or tracking your playtime on Steam.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Don't think you'll ever need to use -merge for WAD files on Crispy Doom, just using -file should do.

3 hours ago, Grillsen said:

ok i figured out why the pwad wasn't playing through zdl its because i'm playing through steam and steam creates these random command lines (-exit -fullscreen and etc). These command lines were clogging up the external files section of zdl and not allowing it to read the pwads that i was putting in at all. Anyways thanks for all of your guys' help and sorry for such a dumb post lol

Once you've got the files downloaded from Steam, you can transplant the iwads away from Steam's grasp and use whatever sourceport you like. Generally recommended if you just used Steam as a means to get the files because you're not an antique who still has them on floppies like some of us here.

You can find your steam games downloaded at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

(Where C is the drive steam is installed, but its usually C or your boot drive unless you tried some clever alternate drive shenanigans for your games library)

Just copy and paste them somewhere else (I have a personal stuff/games directory I keep GZDoom in, in my case, but the same can applied for Boom/Chocolate/Zandronum etc.)

If you do want to continue using Steam to launch Doom, there's a nifty little program called SteamEdit that lets you alter your local Steam files to change how the game launches, among other things. You can easily get rid of the parameters intended to be passed to DOSBox there.

As for why you'd bother, I personally really like Big Picture Mode as a game launcher when I play on my TV, so it's nice being able to launch sourceports right from the Doom entries in my library, rather than being stuck with DOSBox or a single alternative executable. Now we just need better controller support in more ports and a controller-enabled Doom launcher!

Edited by Dragonsbrethren