Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka 1.24 Released

23 hours ago, andrewj said:

I have released a new version of Eureka Doom Editor, version 1.24.

Thank you for your work on this update. Looking at the changes, there are some nice features and bugfixes. I'm looking forward to using this once the Mac package is released.

23 hours ago, andrewj said:

(there is no MacOS X package yet, since I cannot build it myself)

Paging @printz. Your skills are needed in the Eureka area.

14 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Paging @printz. Your skills are needed in the Eureka area.

I already asked him in a PM, but no reply yet.  No hurry though.

8 hours ago, andrewj said:

I already asked him in a PM, but no reply yet.  No hurry though.

True, there is no rush. In the past, he has done the build within a week of the release, which is more than fine. I was shooting for wry humor.

12 minutes ago, mistersector said:

2D Background image

For crazy mappers that want to trace topographical images, or any image for that matter.  Scaling the image uniformly/non-uniformly would be desirable.

I was just thinking the other day that something along those lines would be cool, myself.

I have tried Eureka briefly and my impression is that the editor looks like something from Windows 95. It doesn't help that it feels slugish, either in 2D or 3D mode. I'm happy that there is an alternative mainly for people who prefer it that way. But even then I wonder why should I use Eureka instead of Slade3? What is it's selling point?

Well SLADE3 is cross-platform too. The old hardware can be an argument but knowing how laggy Eureka feels (and I have quite competent machine) I wonder if this problem isn't pronounced on older hardware even more?

14 hours ago, mistersector said:

Hello, Andrew. I hope you are still supporting Eureka. Bugs and/or feature suggestions incoming!

Yeah sorry but development with Eureka is definitely over (like my interest in DOOM) -- I will fix serious bugs but that's about all.

2 hours ago, Paar said:

it feels slugish

Eureka does all it's rendering using software (i.e. with the CPU) and not with the GPU.  That can be good for old computers without a 3D card, but nowadays everything uses the GPU and if I was starting over then I'd use 3D acceleration which would be much faster.  Kinda moot saying all this, but it had to be said.

2 hours ago, andrewj said:

Eureka does all it's rendering using software (i.e. with the CPU) and not with the GPU.  That can be good for old computers without a 3D card, but nowadays everything uses the GPU and if I was starting over then I'd use 3D acceleration which would be much faster.  Kinda moot saying all this, but it had to be said.

That explains it. Thanks.

5 hours ago, andrewj said:

Yeah sorry but development with Eureka is definitely over (like my interest in DOOM) -- I will fix serious bugs but that's about all.

That's too bad to hear, but thanks for all the effort that you've put in to this point to get Eureka to where it is!

19 hours ago, andrewj said:

@andrewj A very nice program indeed, and very impressive! Doubly impressive is the cross-platformness, especially for a program so dependent upon a rich GUI! Sorry to hear about the interest. Maybe a nice long break will change things :)

22 hours ago, Paar said:

But even then I wonder why should I use Eureka instead of Slade3? What is it's selling point?

I find SLADE's map editor to be in serious need of user experience improvements. Also, on macOS it's a total trainwreck, crashing every time, with no thanks to wxWidgets. Eureka is much more stable, even though it also needs a better UX in some places too. 

58 minutes ago, printz said:

I find SLADE's map editor to be in serious need of user experience improvements. Also, on macOS it's a total trainwreck, crashing every time, with no thanks to wxWidgets. Eureka is much more stable, even though it also needs a better UX in some places too. 

Unfortunately is seems that it's author doesn't care very much about improving the map editor (apart from some bugfixes). I can't blame him though since majority of the community uses DB2/DBX/GZDB, it's hard to justify the development time.

1 hour ago, Paar said:

DB2/DBX/GZDB

All those three have a huge drawback, called Windows. 

I was talking about SLADE, not about Eureka. That's misunderstanding.

2 hours ago, printz said:

All those three have a huge drawback, called Windows. 

No, none of those editors break Windows...

6 hours ago, kb1 said:

No, none of those editors break Windows...

They are limited to Windows. Good luck running them on Mac or Linux.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

True enough, you're out of luck unless you want to run a virtual machine. Not everyone does. In that case, it's nice to have one that runs natively. At this time, the only "modern" editors that run on Macs are Eureka and Slade3.

I heard that DB family editors run fine through Wine. It's probably a hassle to set up though.

DB works fine with wine, but not the others afaik. once ran DB2 with wine but 3D mode was a mess. I used to use slade3, but due to some bugs I will use eureka now. I've send the slade3 guys bug reports and they do fix them which is nice. nevertheless, one specific bug slade still has eureka does not so I will use eureka for now.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:29 PM, Dark Pulse said:

It was a joke, based on the jab at Windows. The WinNT core is very tight, smart code, and has been for many years. Can't say the same for the front end. Even it was decent for a while, until they started prettying it up.

It is a shame that, in 2019, you still can't build an app, compile it, and run it everywhere. But, that's what keeps the ball rolling.

It is nice that Eureka supports DiHF and UDMF, although the 3D preview does not show 3D constructs.

What would be a good improvement is to allow flats on walls and textures on floor/ceiling.

3 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

It is nice that Eureka supports DiHF and UDMF, although the 3D preview does not show 3D constructs.

What would be a good improvement is to allow flats on walls and textures on floor/ceiling.

UDMF is actually not supported, I have done some work on it recently but won't be able to finish it for the next release.  Eureka doesn't support PK3 files either, which is a big lack for people making (G)ZDoom mods.

Support for flats on walls and textures on floors has been implemented recently.  Showing 3D floors and slopes is something I hope to get done soon.

2 hours ago, andrewj said:

for the next release

That is awesome news that you're back to working on the next release! I'm glad to found the energy and motivation to work on Eureka again. I think it's already a great program and it sounds like you're making it even better.