Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Anyone on the fence about the reveal?

I am super curious about the new game and obsessed with everything Doom related but I remember watching the Doom 2016 gameplay trailer over and over again. Eventually, I got used to the weapons, animations and overall feel about the game, to the point where I feel it affected my enjoyment of the game. 

I am tempted to not watch the gameplay reveal but I don't know if I will be able to...what do you think?

I am eagerly anticipating the reveal of Doom Eternal! Doom 2016 was a solid game, I expect Eternal to raise the bar. I am certain Marty Stratton will go above and beyond and deliver a truly amazing Doom experience. That little teaser we got, that was just an appetite. Bigger and better things are on the way.

Once upon a time someone had similiar thoughts.

I ended up failing at that because at one point I unintentionally heard some stuff that made me think I won't like the game so I stopped caring. But my opinion is this: I don't think watching the reveal once or twice will make the game too familiar. It will serve as a tease, nothing more. But yeah, if you keep watching it until you can replay it in your head then it might affect your actual experience. I mean it's not gonna ruin it but if you want to be safe then... just don't watch it ten times in a row?

If anything it might be a good idea to skip all the 'proper' trailers because those usually spoil the most. Raw gameplay like the E3 2015 or nVidia Lazarus video are fine because those only show specific sections.

Personally I will watch it. I'm not gonna rewatch it a hundred times but I will watch it.

I'm as eager and excited as their Marketing department wants me to be. If they show an Arachnotron do you really not want a gander?

I will definitely watch the reveal, but much like 2016 itself I probably won't watch it repeatedly. I just want to get an idea on the direction they are going in with this one.

I'm gonna watch this reveal once or twice but not like I did with the previous showings. I feel you on it maybe hindering the enjoyment of the actual game once you get it for yourself too as I was one who watched the e3 stuff over, and over and over.. and over..

I digress a little, but I played the shit out of Doom 3s alpha leak and it ruined much of the experience for me. I would imagine mass video watching can do the same.

6 hours ago, amackert said:

I will definitely watch the reveal, but much like 2016 itself I probably won't watch it repeatedly. I just want to get an idea on the direction they are going in with this one.

Same.

I'll probably watch it a few more times so I can understand what they're doing better and not miss anything important, but that's about it.

I did watch the 2015 E3 demo and a 2016 gameplay demo of the Res Ops level.

I will say that it did make me enjoy the Res Ops level a lot less than it would had I not been binge watching the demo, but on the flipside, I've later got past that issue with subsequent playthroughs, so in the long run, it ended up not affecting much.

The 2015 E3 demo didn't really affect much of anything, due to how much the game changed in the release version (better shotgun sound, less bleak colour palette, faster glory kills etc.).

I did skip spoilerific discussions of the game until I had played the game myself and I'd recommend avoiding forum threads or other bits of info that spoil the game's story or its later levels, because that worked well; The Opening level of Doom 2016 was awesome and I really enjoyed most of the rest of the game (I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would and I was positively surprised by most of the monsters and with how fun they were).

So no, I'm not worried about the upcoming reveal of Doom Eternal, because I expect the gameplay (and the demo levels) to be far more polished in the final version. I might be worried about footage and info released closer to the game's release date though.

I remember when they releases a short video of the LAST level of Doom 4 shortly before the game released.  Like what the fuck!  That was the only video that brought disappointment to me because it looked uninspiring and lacked any new encounters.

All the crapy design of the last Doom was only to attract new people, they're not true to that. They basically teased how they're drawing a bit closer to their roots, so I'm pretty sure they're taking it in a right direction. No need to watch it more than once, maybe twice, just to make sure I caught all the new stuff, then I'll come back here to see what you guys think and after that, I'll just wait for the release date if we don't get at least a window now.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:11 AM, DooM_RO said:

I am tempted to not watch the gameplay reveal but I don't know if I will be able to...what do you think?

Damn! I'm almost ready to bunk by Commerce classes for this!!!

AAAARGH!!!! I think I'll watch it in the end...Even if I don't watch it, I won't be able to avoid this subforum.

I really wish there was a way to show the game without spoiling too much. A bit of mystery would be cool.

I'm just afraid that it will look/play really similiarly to Doom 2016, being pretty much like DLC for it. Really hoping it won't be though ._.

44 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

I'm just afraid that it will look/play really similiarly to Doom 2016, being pretty much like DLC for it. Really hoping it won't be though ._.

That's pretty much what Doom 2 was.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

That's pretty much what Doom 2 was.

That's true. Although Doom 1s level design was more special/unique I always enjoyed Doom 2 more due to the additional weapons, better enemies and levels like Downtown. 

I'm perfectly fine with DOOM Eternal being just an expansion upon the DOOM4 foundation rather than a completely new thing. The reason for this is very simple.

When the team builds a new game on a new tech they venture into the unknown. They have to figure everything up from the ground up. But by the end of the project they already know how it works, which ideas were good and what can be improved. For instance I would risk saying that something like the Dishonored DLCs (Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches) was a much more focused and polished exprience than the main game, simply because Arkane already knew what they were doing.

Same thing can be said about XCOM2. Firaxis created it on the foundation of the previous game - keeping a lot of systems and assets - but with all the experience and lessons learnt from the development of XCOM: EU. As a result it's to a certain degree more of the same BUT much, much better on all fronts.

I kind of hope DOOM Eternal will be something like that - not a complete redesign but a project that aims to perfect what id started with DOOM4.

It seems a little... overdesigned... to me, but time will tell.

Also I really wish they wouldn't throw in tired gags like "Saying 'demon' is offensive, call them 'mortality-challenged'!" because now I get to deal with "see, Doom is anti-SJW!!" posts forever.

You probably should have considered not mentioning it in the first place. Now people will do it on purpose.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

Also I really wish they wouldn't throw in tired gags like "Saying 'demon' is offensive, call them 'mortality-challenged'!" because now I get to deal with "see, Doom is anti-SJW!!" posts forever.

Of course, chuds will be chuds regardless of whether or not id gives them an excuse, and I don't envy you having to deal with that.  Maybe id will get feedback on it and remove it from the final release.

But the obvious response is that the in-game UAC's (mis)use of that concept doesn't discredit it, anymore than the concept of workplace safety was discredited by DOOM 2016's funny fluff about what to do in the event of a demon invasion.