Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Fallout 76 will not launch on Steam

Here's some evidence that Doom Eternal may be coming to Steam:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/doom-eternal-pc/

It's one of those issues where there is a legitimate concern over a possible slow "creep" towards each publishing company requiring its games to be authenticated via its own client.  Each individual instance isn't a big deal on its own, but when they're allowed to mount up over time they can have unintended consequences, and the obvious way to take a stand against this potential trend is to boycott games that require authentication via other clients.  I generally avoid anything published by EA/Origin primarily for this reason, but I imagine if Doom Eternal does end up Bethesda.net exclusive I may well make it one of the few exceptions and buy it anyway.

Some say that it's good to have different publishing companies having their own clients to provide "healthy competition", but I don't think that's accurate.  Healthy competition would arise if the consumer had a choice of clients to use for their games, which would pressure companies to try and make their own clients attractive enough to tempt gamers away from sticking with Steam.  Maybe in an ideal world this would be the PC gaming industry's way forward.  But instead, publishing companies are typically making games exclusive to their own clients, which means that their clients don't have to compete directly with Steam.  All they have to do is make their clients bearable enough to not put gamers off from buying the games they publish.  To take a shopping analogy, instead of being equivalent to consumers choosing between Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons for buying food, it's like consumers having to buy fruit from Tesco, potatoes from Sainsbury's and vegetables from Morrisons, and then calling it "competition".  In the long run gamers lose because instead of having everything on a decent client (Steam) they have games on several different clients, most of which are substantially inferior to Steam, but not inferior enough to detract much from game sales.

8 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Here's some evidence that Doom Eternal may be coming to Steam:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/doom-eternal-pc/

I saw that a few days ago and that's no evidence. There's no price for a pre-sale. It's just a placeholder.

If everyone has their own client to sell only their own games, that's not competition, that's just them not paying 30% to someone else. Origin and the Windows store sell games other than its own. That is competition. HumbleBundle, Greeman Gaming, Indie Gala and Fanatical all sell Steam keys, which just brings more people into the all mighty Steam.

23 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Well, not blow out of proportion, but some of us simply aren't willing to fill our HDD with "Steams".

I'd rather not fill it with bloatware, that's all.

Fair enough. I guess it's just that my approach is that if there was a game I really wanted to play then the requirement to install an additional launcher would not stop me. I wouldn't buy a console just for one game but a launcher doesn't cost me anything so I'm not too bothered by that.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

Fair enough. I guess it's just that my approach is that if there was a game I really wanted to play then the requirement to install an additional launcher would not stop me. I wouldn't buy a console just for one game but a launcher doesn't cost me anything so I'm not too bothered by that.

Yeah, if it was a must play (which seems to be the case tbh) it would probably not be that big of an issue (but I won't be able to run the game anyway). I wouldn't buy a console for one game either. I suppose that part was in reference to my reply to @CARRiON (or maybe not?), I was talking in general.

What I don't understand is the following: Why does everybody assume that the cut that Valve get's if the game is bought on Steam is equal to the additional profit if the game is sold on the companies own store? You need additional developers and customer support people, additional servers/bandwidth or CDN capacity, etc. You have to provide enough capacity on the game's launch. If you mess that up, it will generate bad press and might cause a loss of sales.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:15 PM, Chezza said:

I'm not a crazy fan of steam but I much rather not have 4 different digital "services" to play 4 different games. Steam give them a bigger cut and just earn your lazy money.

Give us HL3.

This. They will do it anyway but this times a gazillion. And maybe HL3 too love you Gaben bye bye. 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, Nems said:

Eh, no big loss for me. I got Doom 2016 for the PS4 and I'm gonna get Doom Eternal for the PS4 as well.

If D:E is going to have cloud-based saving, RIP all chances of getting D:E on the PS4, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Jerry.C said:

You wouldnÄt think that they implement a fallback, would you?

Thanks for ignoring me.

Again.

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Thanks for ignoring me.

Again.

That's why my sentence still stands. You find your own answer to your question.

Sony BMG's DRM is one example of DRM that hacks your system.

Edited by Cacodemon345

Honestly, this is why I use a console for everything. I use Steam for MP games and occasionally Castle Miner Z since it's a Steam/XBox exclusive, but singleplayer games on PC are usually crap. SO much drama over a laggy launcher

For the most part singleplayer games on PC which happened to be ports of console games turn out to be crap.

24 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

For the most part singleplayer games on PC which happened to be ports of console games turn out to be crap.

The reverse can also be true. PSX Duke3D sucked because of its low framerate.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Sony BMG is one example of DRM that hacks your system.

Sony BMG is a company, not a software application. I've still not seen or found evidence on how it "hacks" your system. The mere fact I've given the best example of any software doing this (nProtect's GameGuard), yet I'm the one disputing the point is the problem. People like @Jerry.C are scared of providing evidence for their wild claims. "Keyboard warrior" comes to mind. Fiction as fact, etc.

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Sony BMG is a company, not a software application. I've still not seen or found evidence on how it "hacks" your system.

It is their copy-protection software that got recalled back in mid-2000s. It has rootkit behaviour.

Edited by Cacodemon345

22 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Sony BMG is a company, not a software application. I've still not seen or found evidence on how it "hacks" your system. The mere fact I've given the best example of any software doing this (nProtect's GameGuard), yet I'm the one disputing the point is the problem. People like @Jerry.C are scared of providing evidence for their wild claims. "Keyboard warrior" comes to mind. Fiction as fact, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Capcom's SFV had a rootkit to fight back cheaters\pirates suddenly added without warning to their game with an update, that rootkit made the OS much more at risk for everyone just to "stop users from getting things free out of entitlement", oh yea time to fuck everyone just to sell some bikini skins. Some devs are incredibly STUPID and don't deserve support after moves like that.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Interesting read, and thanks Caco345 for informing me of it. Are there any such examples of this in 'very' modern history? Ones that are perhaps in the last 3-5 years? I feel like the world is much more savvy to this kind of malicious software, laws are stricter (GDPR Anyone?) and also feel that modern operating systems are far more secure and proactive in preventing such software from running.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:55 PM, Dragonfly said:

Interesting read, and thanks Caco345 for informing me of it. Are there any such examples of this in 'very' modern history? Ones that are perhaps in the last 3-5 years? I feel like the world is much more savvy to this kind of malicious software, laws are stricter (GDPR Anyone?) and also feel that modern operating systems are far more secure and proactive in preventing such software from running.

Last time I heard on ICARUSLIV3S Discord, Black Desert Online, an MMORPG, has an anticheat software that logs your files and paths you've modified in the last 48 hours from the time your computer is running. It also has rootkit behaviour. That said game was released on 2016.

Interesting, MMO anti-cheat systems being the cause yet again. Admittedly it does somewhat make sense that they need "rootkit like behaviour" to do their job as best as possible, but monitoring every changed file is certainly too much!

Well, thanks for replying. At least someone does. :P

I wouldn't be surprised if such kind of shit also acted as a way of anti-piracy/DRM.

Anyways, I was glad not to have such kinds of shit on my computers.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Anyways, I was glad not to have such kinds of shit on my computers.

Yeah me too, I'm amazed by what people are up to these days.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:28 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

Last time I heard on ICARUSLIV3S Discord, Black Desert Online, an MMORPG, has an anticheat software that logs your files and paths you've modified in the last 48 hours from the time your computer is running. It also has rootkit behaviour. That said game was released on 2016.

What if you ran it from a virtual machine? Not that you should have to.

All this talk of DRM reminds me of star force protection messing up my disc drives. Nothing like legit software screwing up your hardware. StarForce Technologies can suck a fuck. Ok now I've calmed down now.