Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

What weapon sprites does Freedoom need replaced?

I think one thing that needs to be done if it hasn't already is decide whether the hands should be consistently gloved or bare. If the former, then the pistol and shotgun should be adjusted or replaced, and if the latter, then it's the fist and SSG.

If I may carelessly wander into The Opinions Zone, I'd prefer gloves because I quite like the fist and SSG, something seems off to me about the current shotgun's pumping animation, which I realize isn't a very specific or helpful criticism but it's the best I can do, and while I don't mind the current pistol I was also a fan of the previous one by Scuba Steve.

6 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I think one thing that needs to be done if it hasn't already is decide whether the hands should be consistently gloved or bare. If the former, then the pistol and shotgun should be adjusted or replaced, and if the latter, then it's the fist and SSG.

I prefer gloved, but I know they are trying to be different from Doom, so I think that's why a lot of the new ones are bare.

7 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

If I may carelessly wander into The Opinions Zone, I'd prefer gloves because I quite like the fist and SSG, something seems off to me about the current shotgun's pumping animation, which I realize isn't a very specific or helpful criticism but it's the best I can do, and while I don't mind the current pistol I was also a fan of the previous one by Scuba Steve.

I like the old pistol too! (In fact, I like a lot of the old weapons. Which is why I made a mod that adds them back in.)

I might give the SSG a go. However I can't do the realistic bare hands that are being used on the other weapons. Which is why I'm probably not doing the fist.

None of them. The ones that Freedoom has are already reasonably decent, and I'd far rather see effort put into improving the monsters (for example).

39 minutes ago, fraggle said:

None of them. The ones that Freedoom has are already reasonably decent, and I'd far rather see effort put into improving the monsters (for example).

Honestly, a few of the weapons need reworked, They're not very consistent with the hands. Although I might dabble with the monsters a bit. No promises though. :D

I think the Freedoom pistol could do some work. Seeing how that's the first thing you see when you load the game, it doesn't look that impressive. Either that or give it a new firing sound effect

I concur the pistol could be cleaned up a little. It looks a little too 'busy' with the 3 red dots and the odd black dots along the top (barrel porting?). It needs a prominent front sight post. A less conspicuous rear sight post as well. A service/ combat pistol would have slim/ streamlined features. Maybe add a simple feature or two like an ejection port or a squarish feature in the back like a modern striker-fired gun, but it's a space-gun in the future so it doesn't need to look like any modern gun in particular.

Fun fact with the pistol, for doom mods that have akimbo-pistols modeled after the left-handed Doomguy pistol, the right-handed freedoom guy pistol's mirrored akimbo looks hilarious.

I also concur the weapons are mostly pretty good the way they are. I could live without the barrel porting on the minigun too. If it's ported it needs to at least blast fire out of them when you shoot it. A futuristic, single-barreled machinegun would be even better.