Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

The Find That Game You've Been Trying To Find For Years Thread

On 8/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, SiFi270 said:

The closest thing I have is that I associate it with the first house I lived in, which only narrows it down to somewhere from '94 to '99.

I've been looking and looking. And I can't find anything. :(

On 8/9/2018 at 12:50 AM, Ajora said:

It's in first-person much like Castle Master is. The shooting only comes near the end when you get the laser gun. 

Still can't find it. :(

My Sister recently asked me about a game, map etc. (It could actually be anything)

She said that it was a level where you roam around on the streets, not sure, if it was a city. She also said something about black and white blocks and good music.

I apparently have showed this to her some time ago but I cannot remember what it was. It could also be an old game, but I am not sure on that.

I remember a top down tank game called Lockup 4 which was puzzle like with locked doors and keys for an example I forgot what else it had, the demo was on a PC Gamer disc for the November 2001 edition in Australia, every time I try to search for it on the internet I can find no results regarding it. It's like the game just disappeared.

Hey, this thread's back. I still lament not ever finding that one Castle Master style game.

Though, I did rediscover this ultra-obscure Windows 3.1.1 gem a few years ago, back when I inquired about it on the Escapist Magazine forum. It was pretty damn good. Made it as far as the very final boss battle in the game, but I didn't quite beat it. I got it on a random freeware disc my cousin gave to me around 1996. Sadly, it doesn't run on the majority of Windows operating systems. 

I'm trying to look for a old Xbox game (not sure if it was on other platforms) where it's a third person sci-fi action game and you are a young man, possibly a teen or kid in a strange plastercine like world.

The actual material is the name of the game but I forgot what it's called and never see references to it. This material is to be harvested which can produce almost any objects you can mold with it.

The enemies are living corrupted molded monsters and your suit and all its weapons / upgrades is based on this material.

It was a interesting concept and a fun little linear action game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

On 8/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Game #1

- It was an Atari 2600 game.

- The perspective was sort of top-down, with the game area starting with a green background (presumably meant to be grass and hedges) and different screens you could flip between (i.e. if you ran off the edge of a screen on the left, you'd appear on the right side of a new screen, that sort of layout).

- The protagonist was a knight (well, possibly a ninja or something, but a humanoid with a sword at any rate--we're talking Atari 2600 graphics here) colored white and the one enemy I encountered was a palette swap of the player sprite, in black.

- I would have played it sometime in 1985 or 1986 probably, so could have been released at just about any point in the system's run.

- The obvious candidate is Adventure, but I really don't think that was it unless I'm seriously misremembering some of the details (possible, I was pretty young at the time).  It was roughly that style of game though, I think, as far as theme and traversing the world was concerned.

The Chuck Norris game? There is no sword, but a green background, top down perspective and enemies that look like yourself:

There was this game I played around the mid 2000's in the windows xp era. It was a shooting galaga kinda game. All I remember this snail thing would drop power ups, also balls one brown and one grey, to shoot and they dropped power ups, they looked like cinnamon toast crunch, there were eyeball enemies that would bounce down when they took too much damage, smiley faces, and I believe a smiley face was the icon as well. 

3 hours ago, Noiser said:

The Chuck Norris game? There is no sword, but a green background, top down perspective and enemies that look like yourself:

Overall it looks like a better candidate than Adventure and if my cousin remembers having it I'll consider it case closed and just a very distorted memory, but I'm not 100% convinced.  I still feel like it would've been flip-screen without scrolling (although the way the enemies appear on a separate screen in Chuck Norris could account for that) and that the enemy sprite(s) were black, and that there weren't brown paths, just lighter and darker green.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:32 AM, Chezza said:

I'm trying to look for a old Xbox game (not sure if it was on other platforms) where it's a third person sci-fi action game and you are a young man, possibly a teen or kid in a strange plastercine like world.

The actual material is the name of the game but I forgot what it's called and never see references to it. This material is to be harvested which can produce almost any objects you can mold with it.

The enemies are living corrupted molded monsters and your suit and all its weapons / upgrades is based on this material.

It was a interesting concept and a fun little linear action game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The only thing that comes to my mind is Phantom Dust, but i'm not entirely sure that's correct...

I guess this is worth a shot. When I was small and stupid child, waaay before I even started playing Doom on the good ol' Doom95 sourceport, I played this FPS game on my computer. I have no idea what it was called, and my memory of it is so incredibly hazy that searching for it is hard. All I remember is the very beginning of the game, which I've mapped out in paint for your convenience:

start.PNG.fa97b902ddff7fd9740bf14adbc56a9b.PNG

If I recall, everything looked pretty techbase-y. That first enemy down there(was it even an enemy?) started facing away from the player. He was crouched down and he might have had a wrench with him. I remember that attacking him would make him run in circles around the structure in the middle of that first room. I don't remember if he ever attacked you.

Moving on from this first room is a hallway I guess, with a secret to the right, a stronger weapon up on a ledge. It had some sort of projectile attack, that I would guess from memory might have been a rocket launcher.

In the last room I remember you fought your first enemy proper, and he had a long ranged projectile attack. He scared me, and I would very rarely get past him. Mind you I must have been 5 years old at most, since this was definitely around 1998 or 1999, and I was used to simpler games like Sonic and Mario. Getting the stronger weapon was mandatory here for me to defeat him.

So this is basically all I remember. The accuracy of my statement may not be 100% there since, like I said, my memory of it is very hazy and I was very young. I can't say I expect much of this given the sketchy details, but what the hell, might as well try.

8 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

The only thing that comes to my mind is Phantom Dust, but i'm not entirely sure that's correct...

Thanks for giving it a shot, but this isn't it.

It's a more colourful game and looks to be western made.

Old game, probably late 90's

I used to play on PC, it was a racing game where you race as those weird kinda boxy looking "cars" with no wheels that float

The game was 3D and did not have a cockpit view

2 hours ago, Hugo6467 said:

Old game, probably late 90's

I used to play on PC, it was a racing game where you race as those weird kinda boxy looking "cars" with no wheels that float

The game was 3D and did not have a cockpit view

Maybe Star Wars episode 1 racer?

11 hours ago, Chezza said:

Thanks for giving it a shot, but this isn't it.

It's a more colourful game and looks to be western made.

Alright. Well, before i posted Phantom Dust i also came up with another possibility so i'll just post it just in case (i should of posted it along with my first guess). Alter Echo. The name of the game isn't what the substance is called though but overall from reading the plot it seems to fit the bill much better. It's a Western made game and it's pretty colorful too. It was released on NA and PAL region consoles, as well as on Xbox, PS2 and later PS3 (probably on PSN i'm assuming).

15 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Alright. Well, before i posted Phantom Dust i also came up with another possibility so i'll just post it just in case (i should of posted it along with my first guess). Alter Echo. The name of the game isn't what the substance is called though but overall from reading the plot it seems to fit the bill much better. It's a Western made game and it's pretty colorful too. It was released on NA and PAL region consoles, as well as on Xbox, PS2 and later PS3 (probably on PSN i'm assuming).

You got it! Thank you!

Ok I was wrong, the game wasn't named after the substance. My memory is too poor but you did an excellent job. I recall quite enjoying this and needs to look out for it to give it a play.

Thanks heaps CyberDreams.

@ChezzaNo problem! Glad i could help :) I used to play my Xbox a lot so it wasn't really to much work to just look up a games list and refresh my memory on some as well.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:12 PM, Doominator2 said:

Maybe Star Wars episode 1 racer?

Yeaah, i remember Star Wars racer

But it wasn't this one : (

It was either a dos or Windows 95 game. You controlled some kind of car that could shoot other cars. In the beggining of the game, There are two paths, left or right, left brought you to a drop, which led you to a infinite loop, unless you turned around. This then brings you to a strange place with turret enemies. I don't remember where right led you 

On 4/26/2019 at 3:13 PM, marver0PS said:

It was either a dos or Windows 95 game. You controlled some kind of car that could shoot other cars. In the beggining of the game, There are two paths, left or right, left brought you to a drop, which led you to a infinite loop, unless you turned around. This then brings you to a strange place with turret enemies. I don't remember where right led you 

Long shot, but maybe interstate 76?

Oh wow, this thread got revived! I forgot about it. XD

On 4/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, Ajora said:

Hey, this thread's back. I still lament not ever finding that one Castle Master style game.

I'm actually still trying to find it, haven't had any luck yet, but I ain't giving up anytime soon.

I have another game, so I remember it being similar to halo. The planet was similar to the planet on the second level of halo 1, and it was an xbox game. You played this guy who had an energy sword (that looks kinda like... well... halo's :P) and I remember the end of the demo being in this place that looked a lot like the Cerebro room from X-Men.

17 hours ago, Hugo6467 said:

Long shot, but maybe interstate 76?

No, I forgot to mention it was in first person.

I think the game in my mind was from around the time of Epic Game's Jill of the Jungle (but might have been a little earlier than that). Heh, just watching a LP of Jill of the Jungle and a news bulletin appears in-game saying "B. Blaze retires at age 13, saying that he 'just can't keep up with those cool epic games". 

Anyway, the game was a side scroller and it might have had some RPG elements. I think you were an adventurer of some kind and had to go on a quest. I remember there being forests and maybe a castle and maybe a lake of lava. I only played it once or twice and not sure why I didn't play it more. I feel like it may have had "adventure" in the title. I would have played it on a PC. Seems it may have had a Tolkieny vibe to it.

44 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

I think the game in my mind was from around the time of Epic Game's Jill of the Jungle (but might have been a little earlier than that). Heh, just watching a LP of Jill of the Jungle and a news bulletin appears in-game saying "B. Blaze retires at age 13, saying that he 'just can't keep up with those cool epic games". 

Anyway, the game was a side scroller and it might have had some RPG elements. I think you were an adventurer of some kind and had to go on a quest. I remember there being forests and maybe a castle and maybe a lake of lava. I only played it once or twice and not sure why I didn't play it more. I feel like it may have had "adventure" in the title. I would have played it on a PC. Seems it may have had a Tolkieny vibe to it.

I don't remember any DOS game with "adventure" in the title. If it's a medieval kind of game, I would try Realm of Chaos or Dark Ages. But if it's similar to Jill of the Jungle it could be Xargon.

Edited by Noiser

There was a demo of a PSX game I once played where it was top down, the menu had either a guy with a single glowing red eye or a hand covering his other eye, every button I seemed to press returned to the menu, I never escaped that first room (which I assumed was a rooftop). Details are sketchy to say the least, perhaps I remember key cards playing a role in the first area as well, I believe I was also accosted by the first enemy with no means of defending myself.

An example of what it looked like would be GTA, the original that is, every now and then I remember that odd game from my very early years and hunt for it to no avail.

-

There was another PSX game I remember, side scroller, I believe you were a kid, shadows (literally) were the first enemies and if one got you it would pounce on you and rip you apart from the belly, also vague memories of that.

@Noiser thanks for those suggestions!! I mentioned Jill of the Jungle but I do think it was a bit earlier than that; maybe 1989 or 1990. I remember the graphics being not quite as good as the examples you gave. and that the characters on the screen were smaller. Cheers! 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, DiaBomb said:

My Sister recently asked me about a game, map etc. (It could actually be anything)

She said that it was a level where you roam around on the streets, not sure, if it was a city. She also said something about black and white blocks and good music.

I apparently have showed this to her some time ago but I cannot remember what it was. It could also be an old game, but I am not sure on that.

Cubefield maybe?

there was an arcade game where you'd go around crushing buildings? were you a giant gorilla in that one? I only vaguely remember it, but at the time it was fairly popular. You probably showed her the noir fetish film puzzle doom wad, although I found the music in that to be rather intolerable. Duke Nukem 3D had you roaming streets in the beginning I believe.

1 hour ago, Hellbent said:

there was an arcade game where you'd go around crushing buildings? were you a giant gorilla in that one?

Was it Rampage, by any chance?

Im still trying to find out this gameboy game i had back then... its where you flip the squares on the ground and it keeps the monsters still and stuff.

If anyone knows the name, that would be great.