Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

Just now, Stale Meat said:

Finally, we can enjoy the Mancubus in all of his 6 tit glory.

Super super excited for this, it really looks like they are going above and beyond with what they had in DOOM.

The Mancubus looks EXACTLY like its classic counterpart.

The opening to the Phobos bit was clearly inspired by a scene in Robocop, and it absolutely works here.

Really liking just about everything I've seen so far; My opinion might change later when I've had time to fully digest everything, but right now, I think Hell on Earth looks pretty much exactly what I feel Hell on Earth should look like (not quite as I imagined, but this works). I like that there's a lot more fleshy growths around this time, as the relative lack of that was one of the issues I had with Doom 2016's Hell. Very promising.

I was mildly disappointed to see some glory kill animations that were exactly the same as in Doom 2016. While it's understandable why they reused them, I feel it would've been better for gameplay if they went all-new. Oh well, there's enough new animations to make glory killing exciting.

In all honesty, the reveal left me with mixed felings. Make no mistake, I think it looks absolutely fine for the most part, but I'm not a fan of some elements in the visual department. For one thing, the enemy designs sort of put me off with essentially being the classic enemy designs but in 3D model form. That and the new (as in the new new) enemies looked like they'd be more at home in a Quake game than a Doom one.

The lives system also concerns me. My only hope is that it's in a game mode of its own rather than a mechanic of the main campaign. That whole mechanic became obsolete for a reason, and it belongs more in arcade games anyway.

And finally, the Invasion thing. While I can see the fun in it, other players invading my "peace" isn't an idea I'm all aboard for. Thankfully it appears that the campaign can be played offline as well.

Once again, though, I can't emphasize enough that I think the game looks mostly fine. I just hope that you can understand my concerns.

I think it looked brilliant.

The world seems immense, the enemies look awesome (finally the abomination of Mancubus was re-imagined in the style of the original) and so do the weapons, especially those redesigned in the style of the classics, on top of also building Doom lore, not just a game with a story, which is exactly what I wanted.

All in all, if the game lives up to the hype generated by the gameplay footage I'm more than satisfied. I got pretty much everything I wanted, minus the Arch-Vile in action, but that's a story for another time I guess.

I wonder how far in the game was the footage taken. As revealed at the end right before the duel with the AV Doomguy had the Crucible, so I suppose he already faced Hayden at that point. I think?

Edited by Agent6

One thing that really jumped out was the sheer amount of air control.  Between the double (triple/quadruple) jump, the air-dash and the shotgun-hook-thingy, you could probably spend an entire fight just bouncing from one floating enemy to another.  

There might even be a section (maybe in a Challenge room) that requires you to make it across a canyon by hook-chaining through a whole swarm of Cacos.

It seemed like there weren't any locked rooms, which is cool. I also like the added mobility, guns, and enemies. 

The map they showed seemed to have a meter of Demon Invasion? Maybe that means that some levels are open and your goal is to clear the demons so that the Demon Invasion bar goes to 0? That could be a cool idea to change up the levels.

It feels like Lives are likely to be a, "Oh, you died in the middle of a firefight but have a 1-Up? You'll respawn and get to continue from there instead of having to go back to the last checkpoint and lose your battle progress."

9 minutes ago, crylon said:

It seemed like there weren't any locked rooms, which is cool. I also like the added mobility, guns, and enemies. 

Well, the levels shown, despite their enormity, also seemed linear and the action mostly took place in open areas on top of it, so it didn't make much sense to spend time looking for other rooms anyway given how intense was the action.

Although, a yellow key was needed at some point to gain access to the next area.

The Former Sergeant seems to be based of its Doom 64 variant. It also seems like we'll have actual hitscanners this time.

fULq2op.png

The height variation shown is welcoming, love that things are more vertical and open instead of flatness and/or just two different floor heights from room to room. Hope they show more non-linear gameplay though, I get what was shown is for presentation sakes but it'll be great to have more levels like the Foundry or Argent Facility.

its incredible i am hyped!

wait

I have not played doom 4 yet....................

i am poor person...............

:"v

Well what to say... Isn't the doom we all know. I would say it was a darksiders with guns, but I love darksiders so...

The gameplay looks fantastic and I see they took a fair amount of inspiration of project brutality where you can combine shoots from different weapons. I think it would not entice the purists but after all so much water has passed under the bridge the gameplay can't be the same of 20+ years ago. 

And I'm very curious about the dark doomslayer. He is a demon or someone just driven insane? I mean more insane... 

Looks lots of fun. 

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

The Former Sergeant seems to be based of its Doom 64 variant. It also seems like we'll have actual hitscanners this time.

I think there's also different types. Some of the Sergeants seen at the end looked really similar to the ones from the first games.

I am the most excited about the expanded lore. Would really love to see how they expand the Doom universe. Visiting other places other than just hell sound amazing to me.

Doomguy's got a new glove!

I was just listening to "Nobody told me about Id". It occured to me that it would be pretty badass if you fought a Cyberdemon on the Eiffel Tower and that song played in the background. (it's because of the accordion)

I thought it was fantastic. one thing I hated about doom 2016 was how it felt like every battle was in an arena. you couldn't escape until all the monsters died, and it felt like the entire map was built around it.

In this one, you walk into the area, the monsters are there, in the middle of a firefight, waging their own little war and you interupt. the demons aren't WAITING for you, they have their own things to do.

To me, it felt so much like the original doom. The levels felt alive, not empty until you crossed a certain line to trigger the next encounter. in this, you have to be ready around every corner. It doesnt look like rooms will be empty, there will always be something there.

And the enviroments! Earth looks fantastic, including the hellish areas. The gothic realm looked absolutely absurd in a marvelous way. it looked so unique, nothing like we'd ever seen in doom.

and PHOBOS. The fact they're doing phobos proves that they know what people want. People want to be able to play this game, and have memories of the original doom. this game looks like its going to do that.

10/10

The gameplay looked really great. Even more movement focused too. The quick dash is neat I guess but while I was sceptical about the hook at first, it's actually a brilliant feature making yourself pull to enemies which looks just so much fun if you pull yourself up to flying demons.    

I just wish corpses would stay on the blood ground for a bit longer. It just looks great watching the aftermatch after the battle, instead of feeling like a janitor.  

At least the injuries on living enemies make up for that, that looks pretty cool. 

Edited by Lampenpam

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Is it just me or is the player slower this time?

The first and third gameplay videos were of controller gameplay. The second video was kb&m and looked significantly faster/more agile.

Okay, impressions of Doom Eternal's gameplay reveal.

There are clear inspirations from Classic Doom. Enemies seem like revamped versions of their classic counterparts and maintain their design. Some weapons like the Plasma Rifle are like the classic versions as well.

This game is almost definitely more inspired by Doom 2: Hell of Earth, the same way Doom 2016 was inspired by Doom (not Ultimate). There are more open sandboxy maps this time around, like Doom 2's city maps. The occasional gimmicky concept or two would be great as well.

The movement mechanics are legit as heck. Double jumps, dash, double dash, air dash, double airdash, hangbars, wall climbs, and of course, the grappling hook. They'd fit like a glove and make traversal through the open maps much better. Grappling hooks also seem to use enemies as grapple points which will make the movement more dynamic.

The double shot using different weapons (and ammo) a la DESYNC is also hype. Want to see how far iD can push this stuff. Maybe using enemies as giant projectiles? There are charged weapons, scopes, and multi-ammo weapons which is pretty cool as well.

The Invasion mechanic seems interesting. Could be a good duel mid-game or a gang war. Co-op could balance this out rather nicely. The effects of life-up will have to be seen in time. 

Regardless, I'm pretty stoked after the gameplay reveal. Doom 2016's core was pretty great and a solid departure from the Classics (which are still alive and kicking). If they limit the excessive Painkiller-esque arena battles, improve the upgrade system, and balance resource management, we'd have arguably the best AAA FPS in a while.

ARCH-VILE HYPE!!!

I've noticed that the Super Shotgun and Shotgun have different ammo types now, with the Super only taking one "shot" per fire. Makes sense I guess. And damn, the Minigun Shotgun alt fire tore that Mancubus into shreds faster than other weapons.

It's funny because this is to Doom 2016 what Doom 2 was to the original game: the same, but with more stuff (not that that's a bad thing). I'm really looking forward to this one.

20 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Having thought about it carefully, I've decided this guy was the best moment of the reveal

Funnily enough, you can hear for a split second what sounds like a dog toy squeaking when this happens.

The sound design is definitely on point so far. The Arachnotrons electric gurgle, the creepy Arch Vile alien-like purr, and especially the weapons firing and hit sounds giving a powerful sense of impact. Looking forward to more awesome Mick Gordon tracks too!

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

It's funny because this is to Doom 2016 what Doom 2 was to the original game: the same, but with more stuff (not that that's a bad thing). I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thinking back my biggest complain with Doom 2061 was certainly the lack of focus on additional Single Player content after the base game. In a way I am glad that they went with making a proper sequel than releasing small little snippets of DLC stuff every 3-6 months.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

fULq2op.png

If you are talking about these new possessed soldiers, their attack is the same as in D16. Dodgeable plasma rounds + alt fire (Big, slow moving plasma balls). But I'm really pleased with their design. They look just like the original zombie guys. Only beefier.