Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

Watching the gameplay a little, I'm so far reminded of the obscure 2003 FPS Firestarter.

I just watched it in more detail, but the longer the video went on and the more battles happened I started to think... wouldn't it just be easier to run around the enemies than kill them? Then I remembered... oh Doom 4 locks you into an area and forces you to fight.

4 minutes ago, RightField said:

but you want to fight, that's the... point of the game

Were there points and a score system? Some people play games to finish them.

I just hope they're eternally long so I don't have to go back to rewatching seasons of buffy or whatever. but I do hate self-repeating games like souls and diablo, I want something new for sure

For people who don't know: Extra Lives are basically Saving Throw runes.

Seriously though, please give me 62,442 copies.

I have mixed feelings about the cartoony visual style.  On one hand, I would kind of prefer more realistic, convincing monster designs.  On the other, I do like that they've used the cartoon style to make monster designs that are very faithful to the originals.  The Pain Elemental's animations don't bother me because I think they fit well with the goofy design.  Besides, the original Pain Elemental was also pretty goofy waddling around with little arms.

My impressions: overall, like DooM II, Eternal seems a bigger "more of the same" brother of the first chapter, and that's OK because DOOM 2016 was great. ;)

I like the environments but this time my personal acceptable limit of "cartoon-style" was reached. I'll surely look for one of the alternative renders in the engine to make it darker and less colorful.

I DON'T like the "new" design of:

- Mancubus: in DOOM 2016 its reinterpreted style was "charismatic" as much as that of the Revenant. Maybe this new version is more faithful to the '90s, but aestetics evolve, and the final result seems to me a generic, homemade 3D render from some kind of GL_DOOM mod (sorry).

- common Zombies: again, 2016 design was darker and more interesting IMHO. But I love that new Zombiemen!

- Winged-imp: dunno why, but I really can't stand this one... I find it generic and out of context.

- Baron of hell + Wolverine + flames? BURP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really picky here and my general feeling is positive on DOOM Eternal (I'll surely buy it on day one). But I still hope that Id Software will somehow polish this cartoon-style, and at the same time recover some very good DOOM 2016 monster design.

Everything else: can't wait! :D

980523120_DOOM_Eternal__Official_Gameplay_Reveal_-_YouTube_-_2018-08-11_09_49_51.png.257d51dd259f5a60e5910ba15e95857f.png

I wonder were's the people who think it looks like bloody Diablo 3? (what a dumb comment) and want the game changed. Like ID is going to cater to a handful of people instead of the vast majority.

It looks slightly more cartoony than 2016 and I'm not complaining. I love goofy shit as long as it's not overdone. And that segment with the Argent D'Nur architecture and the sad Sign of Evil rendition are clues that it will have serious moments too. There's Doom 3 for those of you who want a more serious experience. And don't forget about Doom 3: Phobos.

The new devs want to channel as much of the old Id spirit as possible. Do you really think that these guys are interested in making a serious game?

yB0RHmj.jpg

LgZBbVw.jpg

Edited by DooM_RO

59 minutes ago, bigbossbalrog said:

980523120_DOOM_Eternal__Official_Gameplay_Reveal_-_YouTube_-_2018-08-11_09_49_51.png.257d51dd259f5a60e5910ba15e95857f.png

I wonder were's the people who think it looks like bloody Diablo 3? (what a dumb comment) and want the game changed. Like ID is going to cater to a handful of people instead of the vast majority.

*posts single frame of 20+ minute long video*

-___-

6 hours ago, dsm said:

- Classic redesigns (monsters and some items). Not sure what I think. The Classic 1990s Doom fan in me has a massive nostalgia-boner, but the Doom 2016 fan in me is a little annoyed they apparently ditched what I thought were fresh and good-looking redesigns in the Doom 2016 title.

The new(/old) Mancubus seems like a completely different demon from the 2016 Mancubus (but with the exact same behavior/abilities) and I find that rather jarring. I can only hope that the game's lore provides a good reason for the sudden, massive change in appearance.

I have similar thoughts about the new Possessed Soldiers, who at first glance look redesigned just for the sake of nostalgia-pleasing (although I do like them a lot), but seeing as the 2016 counterparts were created from what the game called a "Lazarus wave", the new possessed could have become possessed through different means and that would be a good explanation (though it doesn't explain why these guys are out of uniform; that is why they forgot their helmets...).

I will say though, that I like the redesigned civilian possessed; they found a neat way to have civilian enemies that are easily identifiable without having to do a million different models for different clothing and such to make them more confusing to pick out from the crowd - this is essential in a fast-paced shooter like this.

I like the classic-looking medkits and health potions, but again find it weird that the perfectly functional and good-looking argent stim-pack designs of 2016 have been ditched. Again hoping for some lore explanations.

I kind of have mixed feelings about that as well. Honestly, I'm not one of the people who go crazy when they see a classic sprite recreated in a new game. Some nods are fine but I vastly prefer something a bit more original. For instance the D4 Imp is pretty cool - it harkens back to the original but without being a 1:1 recreation. Or the D3 Pinky - it's completely different visually but the idea behind the monster remains. The recreations in the DE footage seem like pandering to me, they know people love that stuff. Kinda unnecessary in my opinion, though I will admit I had a big smile on my face when I saw the new-old Plasma Rifle.

I just wish they were a bit bolder to include some of their own ideas - they seem to be somewhat paranoid about offending the oldschool players by 'going too far' with the monster designs.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

It looks slightly more cartoony than 2016 and I'm not complaining. I love goofy shit as long as it's not overdone. And that segment with the Argent D'Nur architecture and the sad Sign of Evil rendition are clues that it will have serious moments too. There's Doom 3 for those of you who want a more serious experience. And don't forget about Doom 3: Phobos.

The new devs want to channel as much of the old Id spirit as possible. Do you really think that these guys are interested in making a serious game?

yB0RHmj.jpg

LgZBbVw.jpg

You do realize those are the same guys that did Quake and DOOM3, right? ;)

For me personally the topic of "serious vs non-serious" comes down to two things. First of all, you have to remember that DOOM1/2 came out 25 years ago. The more cartoony monster designs fit the graphical fidelity of the originals. That's why with DOOM3 they did not keep those designs, because they were no longer limited by the primitive technology and they could do whatever they wanted.

The second is the consistency. One of the few things I didn't like about DOOM4 was that there was a bit of a clash between art styles sometimes. The environments look realistic, monsters like Hellknights, Imps or Cacodemons are kind of stylized but do not look too goofy. And then you have Pinkies that look like cute toys. So for me that's kind of jarring. That's the problem I have with the DE Mancubus / Pain Elemental. They don't really fit within the style of the rest of the game, in my opinion. I do realize that's not the case for some people but it really stands out for me.

And honestly, some of those things are nitpicky, others we can just agree to disagree, opinions and stuff. But this just looks plain stupid:

Now imagine if instead of that we had a modern, id Tech 7 powered rendition of the DOOM64 Pain Elemental. O_O

Edited by Touchdown

So, it certainly looks good, to me it still feels like some other games put together barely resembling a Doom game, but taking it as what it is, it looks really good.
I kinda do like the whole not-serious self-referential celebration of itself and how over the top everything is, that BGF in planetary scale is orgasmic.
A lot of stuff looks very cartoonish, and while i love to see stuff like the medkits and bottles back they looked out of place, and the violence has lost its punch this time.

I dont like the sword or grappling hook, i mean it looks cool and fun, but i dont really see the point to them.

I really like that they tried to bring back the aesthetic of a lot of stuff regarding enemies, weapons and power ups, instead of something generic like the D16 plasma rifle design, it is a really nice touch.
The scene of Doomguy entering that base and the reaction of everyone was great, very funny.

Teletransporters are back, i like that.

The two guys talking before the gameplay were a little cringe worthy but is usual in video game events.
Anyway i am sure it will be a good game, i have no worry about that at all, i just hope is not just more of the same but bigger and they have polished some stuff and gave us more variety in level designs and gameplay.

Edit: By the way, what was that Revenant with a name in top on him? It was weird.

Edit 2: That female voice with ironic statements was also great.

Edited by D88M

Looks Freakin' Awesome!

Except for that shoulder Predator/Revenant Cannon got distracting at times, and most of the knife Kills just don't have the same "oomph" as the punch/kick ones.

Love the classic Designs coming back though, and Cacos bleed blue again!

Interesting that the Arch-Vile seems to be this game's posterboy compared to DooM 2016's Revenant.

Overall very solid. I can understand why some fans aren't jazzed with how goddamn cheesy it all is but I honestly don't mind. Doom always was sort of a goofy Metal cover come to life, even if I will admit I wish they'd still take some of the horror aspects a bit more seriously. Though Hell does look more Gothic, gross and weird and I do like that. 

I do hope that they're not setting up the Arch-Vile as being a boss monster. I get that they're probably just doing what they did with the Cyber-Demon largely because of how notorious the Arch-Viles are but I get the sneaking suspicion they're saving him for a boss and I dun like that.

I'm super intrigued to go to new worlds. That was something on my "Things I really want from Doom Eternal" checklist was to see other worlds that the Demons consumed. Plus more environmental variety was something Doom 2016 needed to begin with. I also am wondering if perhaps one of the images they teased show a twisted vision of Heaven, which I am so down for.

I dislike that they're adding a lives system. Seems superfluous and dated. But we'll see how they integrate it.

I definitely think this is going to be a good sequel. It's clear that Hugo Martin is a dude who just wants to have fun above all else and I respect the hell out of that.

6 hours ago, RightField said:

Oof, I guess I can always count on doomworld for negative pessimistic opinions on pretty much everything, including what looks like to be the best new fps this decade. It looks like they made everything more fun, and I like fun, so I'll love this.

Not blindly praising something has nothing to do with pessimism, i personally am very open minded in regards to video games, movies, etc, i take what they give me instead of thinking of them about how i would want it to be. D16 was a good game, but it was not great, it is okay to be objetive and not to think that something is the best or worst thing ever, i see good and bad things in the gameplay video.

By the way, as usual the person playing the demo is someone who has never touched a videogame in his/her life.

Oh no its Cartoonish!!

Look at the original revenants and Cacodemon and Daisy, totaly not exagerated and silly cartoons 

0/10 NOT TRV DOOM. Wheres my 320×200 pixels?

in all seriousness

Doom Eternal really sold me on the Grapling hook and Dodge system as well as the the overall visuals. I expected more vertical level design with the new Setting and thats what i got.

Nice to see some classic designs making a return especially the Plasma Rifle.

You can tell the id team are just enjoying what they make.

Also does invading involve me spamming my Blue Eye Orb over and over? :P

1 hour ago, bigbossbalrog said:

Look at the like to dislike ratio genius. 

Playing DOOM is great for letting out your frustration, it sounds like you need it :)

I watched most of the stream, kind of stopped after the Doom footage was over, because I was desperately waiting for only Doom. I got what I wanted. Thought the new Hell on Earth was cool. It actually looks better than the "Hell on Earth" scenario from Doom 2 now that I think about it. Now we have actual buildings high up in the air, burning after the demons have wrecked it.

It was kind of weird seeing normal humans who aren't possessed (or already dead) move around and walk. Though I think this is because I saw the Doom movie (2005) a couple weeks ago and was disappointed, so now I'm a bit concerned about the quality of having human NPC's in Doom.

Edited by crazyflyingdonut : I was in a rush writing this, was paying more attention to trying to make food.

15 hours ago, pigherp64 said:

i'm really liking the new environments they're showing off. I also like new weapons ,but one that i would like to see return is the unmaker, anyone with me?

I certainly am, that's my favorote weapon in the series.

But I wonder, what other weapons that were not seen in the gameplay footage are making a comeback? I still remember the Soul Cube easter egg from Doom 2016, and I'm still curious if it really was just that or a sign of things to come.

Here's a thought.

The Grapple Hook is on the SSG because the SSG has always been a sort of pseudo-melee weapon. Therefore, speed is important if you want to be good at using it. Since the Doomslayer is not nearly as fast as in the classic games and also seems slower than 2016, the grapple hook seems to compensate for that. 

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Grapple Hook but I really think you should be able to find a few upgrades that only affect mobility. For example, there are a total of three and you can switch between them at any time. I love the Grapple Hook but I would prefer a more constant speed at the cost of air control. For example, instead of the Grapple Hook, you trade it for a rune that makes you twice as fast or something like the Blood Fueled rune from 2016 but stackable.

23 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I certainly am, that's my favorote weapon in the series.

But I wonder, what other weapons that were not seen in the gameplay footage are making a comeback? I still remember the Soul Cube easter egg from Doom 2016, and I'm still curious if it really was just that or a sign of things to come.

I cannot see the Soul Cube in DOOM Eternal. It took ages before the Thing would kill anyone, and the healing would be odd, considering we have glory kills and what not.

7 hours ago, RightField said:

Oof, I guess I can always count on doomworld for negative pessimistic opinions on pretty much everything, including what looks like to be the best new fps this decade. It looks like they made everything more fun, and I like fun, so I'll love this.

Or maybe people just have different opinions on what the atmosphere and tone of Doom should be like. It's not just pessimism for the sake of pessimism. In Classic Doom, there were definitely moments where you felt like a bad ass and were just annihilating everything in sight. There were other moments in the game that felt darker and more sinister and it felt like you were struggling just to survive. Unfortunately, it seems the team over at id simply took one aspect of the tone of Doom, the "I'm the biggest bad ass that ever lived!" part, and have just gone full bore with it and have forgotten everything else. And although it is a little disappointing, it is something that I can live with for now. I still liked Doom 2016 and I will probably still like Doom Eternal. I hope that as the game is further developed, that the environments and the monsters will look a little less cartoony and comic book like and that the team will find that good aesthetic balance that was struck in Doom 2016.  

1 minute ago, DoomMan777 said:

I cannot see the Soul Cube in DOOM Eternal. It took ages before the Thing would kill anyone, and the healing would be odd, considering we have glory kills and what not.

Hm, now that I think about it you're actually right.

Still, they could just as well redesign it so that it has other abilities and is used for certain scenarios.

@doom_is_great

True, you often felt like a badass in the originals but that was more because of a well-landed shotgun blast or rocket or causing infighting. In other words: skill. Not skill in the Dark Souls sense, but rather as in completing an encounter in the most efficient way possible, similar to completing a Mario level without stopping at all.

Hugo said that a hero is only as strong as the enemies he defeats and that is 100% true but it seems he sees it from a more visual angle and less from a gameplay angle. It is true that the new monsters have a lot more interesting attack patterns and movement, but that doesn't really matter when you practically have infinite ammo through the Chainsaw. I really like the Chainsaw mechanic but it needs a serious nerf. Since you are carrying infinite ammo with you, the pickups are more lip service than valuable resources. If it gave you 15% of your ammo back when you use 6 fuel it would be ideal. Just enough to keep you going. That would make pickups more relevant AND also allow the devs to put ammo in secrets too. See how a seemingly small change could change everything?

Despite this, it should be noted that the player likely played on the easiest difficulty. I know this since the armor pickups gave 5 armor, just like in 2016's ITYTD.

...I would mod that if I could.

23 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Oh no its Cartoonish!!

Look at the original revenants and Cacodemon and Daisy, totaly not exagerated and silly cartoons 

0/10 NOT TRV DOOM. Wheres my 320×200 pixels?

They were cartoonish looking because that's the best the technology could produce at the time. I believe one of the developers at id said that if they had the technology back when they made Classic Doom, Doom 3 would have essentially had been the game they would have made. Of course, if no one ever said that, feel free to correct me.