Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

2 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Actually that's not necessarily true. If you look up the Noclip series about DOOM4, they have some footage from the version they've been working on initially, back in 2008 and they have been prototyping melee executions way back then already.

Oh? I've never seen said footage I'm very intrigued now!

It looks great. Embrace the changes, Doom is evolving with the times. I'm happy I can still recognize some of the baddies, and the fact that enough people still want a new Doom game. I'll buy it! 

45 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Actually that's not necessarily true. If you look up the Noclip series about DOOM4, they have some footage from the version they've been working on initially, back in 2008 and they have been prototyping melee executions way back then already.

And both id and Mark probably took it from the fact that takedown executions were a trend in the game industry last gen.

I would personally love to see more horror based segments, only at small portions or one dedicated level. However I'm happy with the current direction.

I mentioned this in an older thread but seeing the horrors of Hell on Earth would provide good fuel for Doom Slayer. Also as we know the classic Dooms have their moments of horrifying gory rooms in which you stop for a moment, giving a thought to the vastness of Hell and its ultimate evil.

In regards to the intention of classic Doom guy, I believe he starts as a terrified marine fighting for survival but gradually becomes blood thirsty and driven to eliminate Hell's forces. Sort of the same evolution as the player.

As for context of Doom Slayer being an enraged hell infused warrior, it allows the game to provide him with all sort of abilities and upgrades. It also gives justification for him to delve deep into Hell alone, rippin n tearing.

1 hour ago, bigbossbalrog said:

All the people yelling about the Doomguy being a coward and "not badass"

No one is saying that Doomguy was a coward and not badass. Doomguy was a badass because he was a survivor. That despite all of the overwhelming odds, through sheer grit, determination, and lots of guns and bullets, he overcame them all. At least that's always how I imagined him.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:03 AM, RightField said:

Oof, I guess I can always count on doomworld for negative pessimistic opinions on pretty much everything, including what looks like to be the best new fps this decade. It looks like they made everything more fun, and I like fun, so I'll love this.

Not blindly praising something has nothing to do with pessimism, i personally am very open minded in regards to video games, movies, etc, i take what they give me instead of thinking of them about how i would want it to be. D16 was a good game, but it was not great, it is okay to be objetive and not to think that something is the best or worst thing ever, i see good and bad things in the gameplay video.

By the way, as usual the person playing the demo is someone who has never touched a videogame in his/her life.

PS: I wrote that yesterday and it did not uploaded for some reason.

It seems to me that the new Doom makers have turned the spirit of the game into some kind of power fantasy.

9 hours ago, Touchdown said:

That's just my take on it. Of course I haven't been documenting what people have been saying about DOOM/Doomguy over the years. But I certainly don't remember folks throwing terms like 'rip&tear' or 'badassery' all the time. There were talks about the number of enemies and how it should be much faster than DOOM3 but that's about it. BD re-introduced DOOM to a lot of people and many treat it as a replacement. I personally think there must have been some influence at least, considering its popularity.

Not necessarily. The Doom Marine was likely a normal dude throughout E1, maybe even the entirety of Doom 1 and 2. But after seeing so much demented shit and killing so many demons, the most realistic evolution of the character is what we see in 2016 and Eternal. Even Doom 64 made him into a badass when he remained in hell forever. After surviving and seeing so much fucked up shit (and still remaining relatively sane) you are bound to be just a little psychotic and even cocky.

Of course, that is if Doom 2016 is indeed a sequel (or semi-sequel)

Ok here is something interesting. See that doorway? It looks quite a lot like Argent D'Nur architecture. Perhaps those realms are more like secret levels in this game? That would be really cool and Doom-like.

image.png.2a1091bec4f7c674fff951b34cb258b7.png

Ok, there are so many things to say about this trailer! Amazing stuff overall, and I'm mad stoked for the game to come out. 

- The Meathook looks like something that'll increase your mobility to even more ridiculous levels, which is perfect for a classic FPS like this. Really, one can only but stand in awe of how "classic" as opposed to "realistic" id is making this one (though it was already apparent in Doom 2016 as well). We're being constantly flooded with realistic shooters with handholding mechanics, so this new trend is really a welcome change, also much more fun to play. And id are absolutely nailing it. 

- I like the flamethrower - this new mechanic of setting enemies on fire to obtain armor shards from them constitutes a perfect parallel to chainsawing them to obtain ammo. More tactical options is always great! On the other hand, the blade on the left arm looks like it just affects glory kills aesthetically rather than providing an actual advantage in combat - though we've seen too little to know for sure.

- The weapons look amazing. The recognizable ones look upgraded (SSG, HAR), and the functional equivalents that don't look recognizable look much closer to their classic Doom inspirations - most notably the rocket launcher and the plasma rifle. The latter deserves a mention all on its own - in D2016 the plasma rifle got a lot of shit for being weak and sounding unimpressive when fired (and maybe for looking too much like as if it were from Doom 3, depends on who you ask). This time the firing sound has been made much more satisfying, and the gun appears stronger overall. Deservedly so. The new rotating machinegun replaces the functionality of D2016's HMG and looks quite strong with how quickly it put down those Mancubi, while the HAR itself appears even stronger at sniping than before, and with no scope on appears to fire some really threatening-looking sharpnel rounds or something. Looks really cool.

- They've done an amazing job of conveying the threatening, yet somehow soothing and welcoming atmosphere of Hell on Earth (is it just me who's a psycho that actually relaxes when around in Doom's Hell?). That first gameplay bit made me feel like I was watching Bedlam from D2TWiD. The accuracy of conveying the atmosphere of old Doom is simply astounding. And I'm not talking about the game per se, engine and all. I'm talking particularly about the feel of the original levels of Romero, Petersen, Hall, McGee, Green and Willits (and their TWiD equivalents). This feels freaking spot on! 

- Same with Phobos. It just felt so accurate! Can't wait to play this thing.

- The inclusion of Phobos made me wonder - do you think this game is going to contain an arc mirroring that of both Doom and Doom 2? Phobos, Deimos, Hell, Earth? Now that'd be something else.

- Doom 2016, while a great game in its own right, did feel a bit too red coloristically. Which is understandable, because it took place on Mars (when not in Hell). But even though there were bluish indoor areas and such, one couldn't help but feel the game was a bit too red/orange - kinda like how Quake is considered "brown" by everyone these days, though obviously not to the same extent. This game on the other hand, from what we've seen in the trailer - offers much more coloristic variety. Take the beautiful grayish-white areas from Phobos for example - a marvel to behold. Red is overall a color that fatigues the eyes somehow, when looked at for too long at a time - the same is true for games like Descent and Descent 2, with their Martian/"Fire" levels. Good thing this new Doom is exploring new palettes so that we're spared red all the time. And for the record - I do realize Doom 2016 wasn't red/orange all the time, but there was always this reddish/orange glow that both the Martian and the outdoor Hell areas had, so it subconsciously made me think red was the dominant color in this game. 

- It's great to hear that id are self-proclaimed lore buffs. Fans of the classic games seem to care very little about lore (what little of it there is in those games, lol), but I personally always enjoyed the D1/D2 story arc, minimalist as it was. I also liked theorycrafting about how Thy Flesh consumed fits into the storyline, and put value on canonicity (never considered Final Doom canon, even though it's an official product. It's just two fanmade megawads to me). Because of this, I'm really stoked about how id is now putting effort into creating an immersive universe with some serious lore in it. I'm expecting lots of exposition and flavor text in the new game, things that I really appreciated in Doom 2016 as well.

So yeah, overall I'm 100% excited for the game, I think it's going to be an absolute blast and actually surpass Doom 2016. 

If somebody can provide footage of actual IDTech in action, I'll gladly appreciate it and may change my opinion on

"complicated" dev and modding tools for new games.

But that might not be necessary, because it seems that modders will get nothing with this game anyways:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/doom-eternal-will-not-feature-a-snapmap-editor-may-support-mods-in-the-future/

They seem to be very clear about this. And now that my question has been answered, I'll accept the reality that there will be no tools for

my beloved DOOM games for a long time.

It's alright though, I knew what was coming, but I had hopes like many others as well.

But in the spirit of getting a new DOOM game soon, I wish y'all a nice day :)

I wonder why they haven't shown the Revenant, they just teased him when the invaders appeared. It seems his attack is a bit different.

Has there been another presentation than the one during the keynote on Friday?

7 hours ago, D88M said:

By the way, as usual the person playing the demo is someone who has never touched a videogame in his/her life.

Funny. I thought they were actually a decent player.

6 hours ago, Hofmann said:

I wonder why they haven't shown the Revenant, they just teased him when the invaders appeared. It seems his attack is a bit different.

I sort of wonder if the Revenant is going to appear as a regular enemy in Doom Eternal, since in Doom 2016 the lore was that they were specifically created by the scientists in the Lazarus Labs, and thus wouldn't be on Earth.

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

I sort of wonder if the Revenant is going to appear as a regular enemy in Doom Eternal, since in Doom 2016 the lore was that they were specifically created by the scientists in the Lazarus Labs, and thus wouldn't be on Earth.

Maybe not as a regular, but at the Quakecon panel, both Hugo and Marty said they love and are huge fans of the DOOT revenant and hinted that there maybe something to that effect somewhere in the game.

2 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Maybe not as a regular, but at the Quakecon panel, both Hugo and Marty said they love and are huge fans of the DOOT revenant and hinted that there maybe something to that effect somewhere in the game.

Yes please!

Imagine this, you explore the ruined landscape then come across some abandoned building, seemed to be a music shop. Then there's a Revenant in a corner, puzzled and dooting on a trumpet.

That or it's gonna be somewhere in a UAC facility, some promotional poster in-game advertising a dooting revenant as concert for the UAC staff, or something equally ridiculous.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:44 AM, Chezza said:

I would personally love to see more horror based segments, only at small portions or one dedicated level. However I'm happy with the current direction.

I mentioned this in an older thread but seeing the horrors of Hell on Earth would provide good fuel for Doom Slayer. Also as we know the classic Dooms have their moments of horrifying gory rooms in which you stop for a moment, giving a thought to the vastness of Hell and its ultimate evil.

In regards to the intention of classic Doom guy, I believe he starts as a terrified marine fighting for survival but gradually becomes blood thirsty and driven to eliminate Hell's forces. Sort of the same evolution as the player.

As for context of Doom Slayer being an enraged hell infused warrior, it allows the game to provide him with all sort of abilities and upgrades. It also gives justification for him to delve deep into Hell alone, rippin n tearing.

Agree with everything you said above, especially the horror element of DOOM.

Taking the level design into consideration, I really like the way how the game portrays the UAC. When the Slayer reaches Phobos, scientists cower in front of him and fear him. I guess it might be due to the events that happened in the previous Doom. This shows us that the UAC has advanced dramatically(compared to previous games) and is populated for the first time in awhile( not mentioning those scientists from Doom 3, they are dumb) and that another scientist gone rogue might be behind all of this. Wonder who will it be?

19 hours ago, Linguica said:

but this was also true of the mancubus who has returned in its original form. I'm guessing they're gonna remodel him to be more aggressive like the irritating real threat like he was in Doom 2, but haven't gotten that far yet

25 minutes ago, RightField said:

but this was also true of the mancubus who has returned in its original form. I'm guessing they're gonna remodel him to be more aggressive like the irritating real threat like he was in Doom 2, but haven't gotten that far yet

I think this only applies to the Cybermancubus, Cyberdemon and Revenant.

2 hours ago, MTF Sergeant said:

Taking the level design into consideration, I really like the way how the game portrays the UAC. When the Slayer reaches Phobos, scientists cower in front of him and fear him. I guess it might be due to the events that happened in the previous Doom. This shows us that the UAC has advanced dramatically(compared to previous games) and is populated for the first time in awhile( not mentioning those scientists from Doom 3, they are dumb) and that another scientist gone rogue might be behind all of this. Wonder who will it be?

I hope they have something more interesting or maybe even complex in store than just reusing the "mad scientist behind all of it" cliche again, since that's what happened in Doom 3 and Doom 2016 already.

27 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I hope they have something more interesting or maybe even complex in store than just reusing the "mad scientist behind all of it" cliche again

I still believe Satan himself uses Hayden as dark priest to rise his hellish empire. He does so against other powers in hell. Maybe we're witnessing the transformation of hell from an empire of chaos (after the titans age) to a kingdom of Satan.