Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

Just now, Agent6 said:

I think it looks fantastic, and certainly less disgusting than its original counterpart.

Personally, I found the light armored look of the 2016 Mancubus to strike more fear into me then a snarling blob with cannons for arms

16 minutes ago, Dear Hoplite said:

Personally, I found the light armored look of the 2016 Mancubus to strike more fear into me then a snarling blob with cannons for arms

Yeah, it was more intimidating for sure, yet at the same time so bizzare I could never know what to make of him, so naturally seeing his classic version recreated is just perfect for me.

17 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Yeah, it was more intimidating for sure, yet at the same time so bizzare I could never know what to make of him, so naturally seeing his classic version recreated is just perfect for me.

Personally, I always found the classic mancubi to be laughable. I almost didn't want to slaughter them with a chaingun

55 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

At least it isn't the ridiculous lumbering oaf looking Doom 64 design, that thing's waddle was legendary.

Yeah, Mancubi were ridiculous in D64.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

I dunno, I liked them, they felt more imposing than the originals.

Until you see them walk, then all horror vanishes :v .

I do love their death animation though, that's pretty epic. How they seem to open up while their flesh appears to fall off the spine, which remains straight and visible after death.

I would say the Doom Slayer's most powerful weapon is his presence. When the Doom Slayer appears demons cower on the spot. Some will try to fight just to realize seconds into the battle they committed a grave mistake (you can see it in their eyes right before they are beaten to death with their own limbs). Hell, even humans when they see him they are like: holy shit look at this behemoth, get out of his way. they don't even know who to fear more, the endless hordes of demons trying to take over their dimension... Or a single guy. the doom slayer is not humanity's enemy, but do not intervene in his perpetual quest against demons. Because he will remove those who stand in his way, even if its God himself.

I like how we see the AA guns firing at Cacodemons.

On another note, "too much work" and "enemy recognition" are poor excuses for justifying lazy development.

There have been model packs released for Doomsday that feature random skins for the zombies (a sadly underused feature of the port), that didn't cause me any issues with enemy recognition.

Obviously, it requires extra work though.

5 hours ago, Vermil said:

There have been model packs released for Doomsday that feature random skins for the zombies (a sadly underused feature of the port), that didn't cause me any issues with enemy recognition.

Wow, really? I know this is kind of off-topic, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of something like this. 

Where would I be able to find those model packs, by any chance?

This looks great, really love the way you can grapple enemies and slingshot yourself off of them. Looks like the environments are much more vertically oriented as well. From the way the player in that clip was navigating the level, it seems like there's quite a bit of Quake inspiration going on here. The hologram lady was a little too wink-wink-nudge-nudge for me, but I'll take that over a gravelly-voiced marine commander shouting into my commlink a-la Call of Duty any day.

I only played about halfway through Doom 2016 before I had to put the games away and focus on college. It was a breath of fresh air at the time, and in hindsight it was probably my favorite game that year. Now I'm feeling inspired to reinstall it and see if I can plough my way through the rest of it before Eternal launches.

The extra mobility is great honestly. Only complaint is that the speed of Doomguy seems to have been sacrificed a little. I hope it is not so, but that is what it looked like to me.

Just need to see they bring back classic Cyber Demon to this DOOM...*** hate that lame @ss DOOM3 and DOOM 2016 design,

2 hours ago, Linheli said:

Just need to see they bring back classic Cyber Demon to this DOOM...*** hate that lame @ss DOOM3 and DOOM 2016 design,

All Hail Death Moose. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Man of Doom said:

Wow, really? I know this is kind of off-topic, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of something like this. 

Where would I be able to find those model packs, by any chance?

The standard jdoom resource pack for one.