Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I just watched the video yesterday, so these are my initial thoughts (and I haven't read through pages 4 - 11 of this thread to see if any of these have been said).

• They made the Doom Slayer a jacked, overpowered-looking, near cartoon version of the idea behind the character.
    • At least they acknowledged this by saying that you just want to kick ass as a bad ass demon slayer.
    • id evidently does not want you to feel trifled by being just a slightly stronger version of a normal space marine.

I liked the original space marine because he's not some overpowered ancient martian warrior in modified power armor.  Just some run of the mill grunt survived the original chaos and kicked Hell's ass on more than one occasion. Doesn't that count for something? This has to be Bethesda's handy work. They love taking other people's ideas and making their own versions out of them while barely keeping to the franchise canon. Doom 3 introduced us to ancient martian civilization and their war through the artifacts dug up on Mars. Doom 2016 you basically play as such a relic since no human could survive that shit and Bethidsda says this is a reboot and totes original!!111! (Which explains why the "Doomslayer" can't speak the universal language, Engrish). Also.. Why "Doomslayer?" It sounds like something a 12 year old could come up with on XBO as their gamer ID tag.. Anyone gonna help my oldschool mind make sense of this?

As for the main subject, I love the plasma rifle reincarnation. Nice and beefy, and I hope it hurts the demons more this time.

8 minutes ago, Houndoom said:

I liked the original space marine because he's not some overpowered ancient martian warrior in modified power armor.  Just some run of the mill grunt survived the original chaos and kicked Hell's ass on more than one occasion. Doesn't that count for something? This has to be Bethesda's handy work. They love taking other people's ideas and making their own versions out of them while barely keeping to the franchise canon. Doom 3 introduced us to ancient martian civilization and their war through the artifacts dug up on Mars. Doom 2016 you basically play as such a relic since no human could survive that shit and Bethidsda says this is a reboot and totes original!!111! (Which explains why the "Doomslayer" can't speak the universal language, Engrish). Also.. Why "Doomslayer?" It sounds like something a 12 year old could come up with on XBO as their gamer ID tag.. Anyone gonna help my oldschool mind make sense of this?

As for the main subject, I love the plasma rifle reincarnation. Nice and beefy, and I hope it hurts the demons more this time.

I think id stated that this is the same Doomguy, just with a nickname the demons gave him

As someone who started Doom with Doom 2, I personally believed 2016 was great and Eternal is going to be neat

On 8/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, Man of Doom said:

YES, this was something I’ve been meaning to talk about!

While it’s not really a deal-breaker, the fact that the scientists (especially the red keycard guy) looked more like characters from Dishonored or PREY 2017 is really off-putting and actually kind of tosses them into the uncanny valley, whereas Doom 2016 was more focused on actually making people look like people. 

It’s actually kind of a shame too because the exaggerated facial proportions of human NPCs in DE actually clash with the rest of their bodies which are realistically proportionate for a human being (for example, you can actually see the individual fibers on the suit the keycard guy is wearing, yet his face looks like some sort of high official in Dunwall). The other scientists actually seem to have it worse, a couple of them being reminiscent of that one scientist you have to save in a particularly notorious QTE in the Spider-Man 3 video game. 

Hopefully, this is just a development quirk that should get worked out before the final release. 

I think that's part of the style on the basis of the former human. Redcard bro seems to have similar facial structure to him pre-zombie love. They seem to be open to feedback so maybe they will dial it back a bit to give a little continuity from 2016.

16 hours ago, Chezza said:

Did we see Revenants in any footage? I wouldn't be surprised if they were reworked.

Yes.  During the part when the 'invaders' join the game the first one that can be seen is a Revenant.  He seems a bit smaller, but it could just be the distance. You can see him if you put the video in slowmo and pause.