Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The-Heretic-Assassin

My Thoughts on Eternal

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I waited patiently for Doom Eternal to come up during the stream, and it was gladly shown. After watching gameplay footage, I was both happy and nervous. There were things I liked and things that set me off. I'm going to list the pros and cons of Doom Eternal right here. Ok first off, the good parts.

 

+Demons, weapons, and Doom Marine get classic designs

 

+Earth at last being the next setting for Doom once again

 

+Maps are open and explorable once again

 

+Perfect Dark's Counter-Operative mode is at last brought to a new game, in this case Eternal, under the name Invasion

 

Now for the bad parts.

 

-You get a compass showing you where to go. Please let us turn it off, id

 

-Glory kills not being optional again?

 

-Pain Elemental didn't spit Lost Souls

 

-Chainsaw still has limited uses

 

I'm not sure how I feel about enhanced movements in Doom Eternal. They could be a good or weird thing. Now, who's doing the music for DE...Mick Gordon again? I'm not trying to be rude, but couldn't they get Ashley Carr or Per Kristain to compose for Eternal? Just listen to this masterpiece 

 

 

Now let me show you the game's suit here

 

2018-08-10-14-34-56-2.png.f1c27a4839019d8d81c90e7b126930ac.png

 

The Eternal Marine kind of looks like he came out of Gears of War, hehe. ^^'

 

So, what are your thoughts on Eternal? Do you like the changes? Are you happy the game is more like classic Doom than Doom 4? =)

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

Share this post


Link to post

I actually did see the pain elemental spit out a few lost souls in the open city level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Well... I like Mick Gordon's music so seeing him produce for Eternal makes me really happy.

 

Also, Doom2016 also had a compass.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

About your cons:

 

- The compass was already present in Doom 2016, as mentioned by fant0m999, and you could already turn it off

 

- Glory kills have always been optional, even in Doom 2016, as you could remove the flashing indicator. Plus, performing glory kills or not is completely up to you: if you don't feel like walking close to an enemy and press F, just don't.

 

- I had the same concern as you in regards to the Pain Elemental not spitting out Lost Souls, but it looks like I must've missed it, as STILES saw PEs spit them out.

 

Music itself works in the reboot context. A Pure oldschool metal soundtrack would feel kinda out of place for me, but that's just my opinion.

The track you specifically linked sounds off to me: it still sounds very MIDI-ish, and would feel completely out of place in the reboot.

The new Praetor Suit is cool, and again, in a reboot context, it works quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, STILES said:

I actually did see the pain elemental spit out a few lost souls in the open city level.  

Really? When I watched the gameplay, I saw blasts like the Cacodemon's. Maybe I missed the Lost Souls.

1 hour ago, Remmirath said:

About your cons:

 

- The compass was already present in Doom 2016, as mentioned by fant0m999, and you could already turn it off

 

- Glory kills have always been optional, even in Doom 2016, as you could remove the flashing indicator. Plus, performing glory kills or not is completely up to you: if you don't feel like walking close to an enemy and press F, just don't.

 

- I had the same concern as you in regards to the Pain Elemental not spitting out Lost Souls, but it looks like I must've missed it, as STILES saw PEs spit them out.

 

Music itself works in the reboot context. A Pure oldschool metal soundtrack would feel kinda out of place for me, but that's just my opinion.

The track you specifically linked sounds off to me: it still sounds very MIDI-ish, and would feel completely out of place in the reboot.

The new Praetor Suit is cool, and again, in a reboot context, it works quite well.

Didn't know Doom 4 had a compass. Glad there's the option to turn it off. :3

 

Glory kills are required in order to earn more health. There are health packs lying around the maps, but there's not that many it said.

 

The suit in Eternal looks super awesome. The style reminded me of Gears, so I was just making a little comment on how it looked a bit like COG or Locust armor, especially because of the blade on the left arm.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Really? When I watched the gameplay, I saw blasts like the Cacodemon's. Maybe I missed the Lost Souls.

Didn't know Doom 4 had a compass. Glad there's the option to turn it off. :3

 

Glory kills are required in order to earn more health. There are health packs lying around the maps, but there's not that many it said.

 

The suit in Eternal looks super awesome. The style reminded me of Gears, so I was just making a little comment on how it looked a bit like COG or Locust armor, especially because of the blade on the left arm.

But since there are no hitscanners, having a low amount of health on the map isn't the end of the world - it just raises the skill bar a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

If anything, the player exhibiting the gameplay didn't exactly stress importance on glory kills, often preferring to blow them away rather than lop off their heads. Plus, the number of items dropped after a glory kill appears to have been reduced, making it more of a "rule of cool" factor.

Share this post


Link to post

Eternal seems to have more health items lying around, too. So far, glory kills don't seem to yield much health if at all. 

 

Yes, the pain elementals do spit lost souls but they don't seem to attack immediately.

 

Also, what is doom guy's flame cannon?

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I waited patiently for Doom Eternal to come up during the stream, and it was gladly shown. After watching gameplay footage, I was both happy and nervous. There were things I liked and things that set me off. I'm going to list the pros and cons of Doom Eternal right here. Ok first off, the good parts.

 

+Demons, weapons, and Doom Marine get classic designs

 

+Earth at last being the next setting for Doom once again

 

+Maps are open and explorable once again

 

+Perfect Dark's Counter-Operative mode is at last brought to a new game, in this case Eternal, under the name Invasion

 

Now for the bad parts.

 

-You get a compass showing you where to go. Please let us turn it off, id

 

-Glory kills not being optional again?

 

-Pain Elemental didn't spit Lost Souls

 

-Chainsaw still has limited uses

 

I'm not sure how I feel about enhanced movements in Doom Eternal. They could be a good or weird thing. Now, who's doing the music for DE...Mick Gordon again? I'm not trying to be rude, but couldn't they get Ashley Carr or Per Kristain to compose for Eternal? Just listen to this masterpiece 

 

 

Now let me show you the game's suit here

 

2018-08-10-14-34-56-2.png.f1c27a4839019d8d81c90e7b126930ac.png

 

The Eternal Marine looks like he came out of Gears of War, hehe. ^^'

 

So, what are your thoughts on Eternal? Do you like the changes? Are you happy the game is more like classic Doom than Doom 4? =)

That armor change is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

-but couldn't they get Ashley Carr-

 

Assuming by Ashley Carr you mean DJ Redlight, he passed away two years ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

It's more of what made the 2016 version great, with some new stuff like the Forearm Blade, grapple chain cord, Predator style Shoulder Cannon, new enemies, Redesigned weapons, original Plasma Rifle returns, Earth, PHOBOS!! 

My big complaint is the sound design of the weapons, Is it just me or the guns Sound Really Bad. Like they have no "BASE" no "BITE" no "PUNCH" to them. And why the MachinGuns's "Rate of fire" so Damn Slow? I felt the MG on the last game was slow, Now it's even slower!! I know it's named "Heavy MachineGun" But WTF is the caliber it's firing for it's fire rate to be so damn slow? .50 cal or 12.7mm?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tsareppsun said:

My big complaint is the sound design of the weapons, Is it just me or the guns Sound Really Bad. Like they have no "BASE" no "BITE" no "PUNCH" to them. And why the MachinGuns's "Rate of fire" so Damn Slow? I felt the MG on the last game was slow, Now it's even slower!! I know it's named "Heavy MachineGun" But WTF is the caliber it's firing for it's fire rate to be so damn slow? .50 cal or 12.7mm?

It's not just you. I was really unimpressed by the gun sounds - particularly noticable for me with the new pump-action shotgun, because I love the combat shotgun's sound from Doom 2016, but the new one didn't have a sound like that - it sounds more ... generic? Forgettable?

 

Hell, even the SSG sounds underwhelming - the Doom 2016 had a much more noticable *WHAM!* sound.

Share this post


Link to post

I completed nm and competed well into unm without the need for a single glory kill, they are optional in the sense that u can kill the demons with an extra shot and my experience proved to me at least they are not necessary for more hp armor and ammo, there are enough already plus the chainsaw is fit for that when you are low. Plus again i rarely, if any at all, had use for the saw myself personally

Share this post


Link to post

The guns sounded fine to me and woah are they more badass looking and powerful than ever!! Plasma gun is insane. The little effects like the lightning streaks it leaves and the charred corpses, so sickly sweet :)

 

The combat shotgun seems to have taken cs, hmg/minigun,and car / grenade launcher duties and consolidated them into one gun perfectly for me. Guys a heavy machine gun, both in real life and in all doom games, is meant to be slow but yet powerful and this one seems to capture that effect perfectly to me. Look how it tore into the mancubus's health pool so quick, slow but deadly. Perfecto maestro!!! And the ballista replacement for the gauss, plus the sniper rifle being really powerful and accurate with the headshots and the normal ammo being some sort of head homing ricochety boomerangish razorcutting type of shot, is even more awesome!!! I love it, no complaints from my end!!! Bring it on ASAP, id!!!!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×