Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zombieman

What is the best map you've ever made?

If you've ever made more than one map, what is your best one (in your opinion)? Maps that were made with more than one person count.

Edited by Zombieman

Eternal winter from confinement community project(map12).

Darkness Flaw, which was released 7 months ago. 

Other maps are also good, but those two mentioned are the best ones. 

Five Rooms of Doom MAP17: Blackfire

I think my best one is my UAC Ocean Base map and, as my first map, I'm proud of it...vanilla textures only. But that decision will change in time.

According to the number of downloads and the sheer plethora of deaths Fonze experienced, this is the best map I have made so far, assuming that maps made in cooperation with somebody else count:

According to the number of downloads and the sheer plethora of deaths Fonze experienced, this is the best map I have made so far, assuming that maps made in cooperation with somebody else count

Can count because you're the main author, I guess

My Doom levels aren't really anything special. The best is probably one called Fatsmack, but apparently I never uploaded that to /idgames, only my old host, which is down. Finding it in my backups right now to rectify that.

Game design in general? I'm really proud of the recreations of movie scenes I did for the Goldfinger 64 Prison:

(Level geometry and prop models are not mine. All prop placement and mission design is.)

I've never made a map that I can really look back on and say "that was a great map." I suppose my MAYhem Orange map is the best I've done but it was only ever supposed to be a small little opening map, I had more I wanted to do with the concept but was too slow to get anything more than that one map done.

I hope in a year's time I could answer this question again with the map I'm making for Dragonfly's Eviternity, it should be the first to actually capture one of my bigger visions. And then I never have to make a map again.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm just the person who uploaded it. Don't let that fool you

Ah...pfff

I remember somebody disagreeing with me which map is my best, but my favorite of my maps is Descent, EMP09 in Emprion.

Edited by Empyre : replaced file link with thread link

Since I've basically only made Depths of Insanity (which still isn't done), I have to say my favourite out of that is XMAP05 (Ignoble), the first Hell level. It's quite fun to play (maybe because I challenged myself to use neither HKs nor Barons in it, to stay true to its name), and I like how it looks. Some quite fun secrets too (including telefragging a Cybie because who doesn't love that).

I like these types of threads. Here's one from the past if anyone wants more answers:

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I have a feeling it's gonna take me some large degree of effort to top Mercury Rain.

Hmm? Better than "Tungsten" and "Unorthagonal" you say? Tickles my interest!

Tungsten's pretty good, and features a lot more of my own resources including the music, but I like how the custom ZDoom resources in Mercury Rain, like the outdoor sector color, the color-coded forcefields, the rain effects, and the hellshrooms all ended up working together really nicely.

Unorthogon is also a nice map but I like its sequel quite a bit more, a map creatively named "Unorthogon 2" which is in a yet-to-be-released project.

As of now, I guess I would have to say Harkonnen, for the 4800 HK project that's unfortunately still ongoing. This was my first serious mapping attempt and I especially enjoyed building the ending fight. 

Just wish the damned project will be released. Anyhoo, it's really nothing special but it's probably better than my other two releases. 

"From a Hideous Road of Corpses and Misery to Satan's Secret Oddities" is probably my single best map and it's pretty long as well. It's a Doom 3/Aliens inspired level. At the time I thought having a super long and a complex sounding name was funny, but now I realize it was a mistake since it makes it virtually impossible to google or find unless you remember the entire name, which virtually nobody does. Not even me :/

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/From-a-Hideous-Road-of-Corpses-and-Misery-to

Some screens from the old newstuff review:

https://www.doomworld.com/php/screenie.php?dir=/images/newstuff/380/&filename=faroh02.jpg

https://www.doomworld.com/php/screenie.php?dir=/images/newstuff/380/&filename=faroh03.jpg

https://www.doomworld.com/php/screenie.php?dir=/images/newstuff/380/&filename=faroh05.jpg

EDIT: Dear lord, it's over 8 years old. I feel very old now :(

Dunno, I never really made anything grand and a lot of my levels can be described as 3 minutes of shooting imps with the shotgun, so it's hard to choose. I guess Map14 of Dominion comes to mind. It's just a good classic style map of actually decent length, which is rare for me. Superwad is pretty cool too, I like the detailing in that one. It was inspired by Vae Victus 2 and Kama Sutra. But like a lot of my wads, these can be hard to enjoy due to strict health balance (and no skill settings, of course).

38 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

According to the number of downloads and the sheer plethora of deaths Fonze experienced, 

I dont think it is in my best, long-term interest to approve of the categories for your new rating system, but that said rd and your map scored at least a 350, which without context seems much better than five little stars ;D

Idk if I have a map I'd consider to be my best map, but my favorite maps among what I've built are ironically speedmaps. If I had to pick one to call my 'best' I guess I'd pick Toom of Domb from The Joy of Mapping 4 since that was my most well-received map, though to be fair I also put in a few things just to make the map easier for players, especially with it being in a cp.

9 hours ago, Fonze said:

I dont think it is in my best, long-term interest to approve of the categories for your new rating system, but that said rd and your map scored at least a 350, which without context seems much better than five little stars ;D

I think you and I should make a map together at some point. Nothing big or amibitious, just good ol fashion shooting stuff

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

Map 1 of The Rending of Syataqwa is probably my best as far as conventional Doom gameplay goes.  On the other hand, while the monster encounters were meh in my map for the WAD Wendnesday 1 Year Anniversary Mapset, it's the most detailed map I've made to date, and unlike Map 1 of Syataqwa it wasn't the first time I built a lot of fancy geometry and incorporated a lot of custom textures.

Edited by SuperArjunaButt

I've released about ~60 sp/coop maps and about ~80 deathmatch maps publicly over the years so it's tough shit to narrow it down to just one.

Shovelware Adventure is my gut reaction, but other maps that I've gotten comments on include Map07 of TheDevilzWork, Map07 of SinSeven and Map16 of Revenge of the 90's. None of them are perfect by any means but I can see why they stand out.

The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite Episode 0 MAP31.

Why the first secret level of my first ever completed megawad? The original wad file this map was based of (I've lost that file.... OOF) was the starting foundation of the TMoD series and my forte into DooM megawad creation. Sure I would have inevitably made a map and release it but that map is to me what ignited my passion to start making wads.

And here I am over 2 years later and I'm wrapping up Season 1 of TMoD. (Season 1 being non-cannon and merely used as templates and funny shenannigans)

Picking from over a hundred maps that do all sorts of different things is pretty difficult... So I'll cheat a little:

For The Ultimate Doom: E2MWalter

For Doom II: Big Woodchip

Although given the breadth of my work, I imagine people would disagree with me on the latter and disregard the former. That's why my best of episodes are 10 maps or so each.