• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

That's the BFG 10000.

Thanks for clearing it up.

2 minutes ago, Ex Oblivione said:

My question is what are they firing at?

It actually looks like it's the humans vs the demons. Maybe the demons are backed by the UAC.

Well none of the gameplay looks at where the gun is firing, so they could be keeping whatever it is a secret.

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

Well none of the gameplay looks at where the gun is firing, so they could be keeping whatever it is a secret.

The smaller guns seem to be aimed at keeping demons away. My bet is the BFG is attacking the demon mothership.

Probably gonna have to use it to destroy a demon-infested Earth or Mars. Wonder if this phobos mission is the intro or ending?

6 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

Probably gonna have to use it to destroy a demon-infested Earth or Mars. Wonder if this phobos mission is the intro or ending?

If it only damages things with argent energy, it could be used at the end of the game to save Earth.

2 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

The smaller guns seem to be aimed at keeping demons away. My bet is the BFG is attacking the demon mothership.

But demons can use portals or  teleportation. 

7 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Hopefully not the Cacodemons.  The UAC is just firing it to get the Doom Slayer all jacked up and ready.

Space is a dreadful place to invest in BFG artillery, and the fact that it's on Phobos—the closest natural satellite to its parent body of any in the solar system—just makes it doubly dumb. If you miss with the main ball projectile how on God's Green are you going to know when those tracers hit? Phobos orbits Mars completely within just 8 hours; can you guarantee you won't end up obliterating Martian settlements because your chief Big Fucking Engineer didn't log the weapon orientation before firing and missing the target?

Maybe the UAC should have read the BFG FAQ before committing to such an expensive mistake.

26 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

If you miss with the main ball projectile how on God's Green are you going to know when those tracers hit?

Ball projectile? It looks to me like it fires an energy beam.

I think they're firing at Earth to help the demons.

But hopefully Doomguy can just run over that big gun and pick it up.

12 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

My impression was that they're firing the swarm of demons floating in space going to Earth or something. Or it could be a demon mothership, who knows :D

I guess we will see only when the game is released. :)

8 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

The hell spaceship from TNT evilution or Hell floating around the planet from Doom 1? Both sound awesome.

My initial guess is that the BFG 10K is how they deliver argent energy to Earth, in a slight retcon to Doom 2016 (where flavor text vaguely mentions that the Argent Tower sends the energy to Earth somehow). I'm guessing that they are re-aiming the BFG10K to not shoot at the argent energy collector pad or whatever, but instead to just annihilate bits of Earth's surface as part of the invasion or whatever. (I should mention that my guess is Phobos is the first level.)

I always had a sort of headcanon that BFG's in general were developed as "Blast Field Generators"; Big cannons made to destroy anything and everything in a wide area. Stationary BFG Turrets would make sense to have been made first taking into consideration that whatever kind of ammo/power source for them would be too big and heavy for handheld use.

Also take into account how the Lazarus Labs had a BFG Division to test the BFG 9000 in secret and, I assume, relative safety. The Phobos base may be similar in that it is a remote and "safe" place to test an orbital denial cannon in hopes they can mass produce it. It could even be a sort of last resort defense against a demon incursion heading to Earth in the event Mars is lost to the demons.

Just now, Stale Meat said:

Also take into account how the Lazarus Labs had a BFG Division to test the BFG 9000 in secret and, I assume, relative safety. The Phobos base may be similar in that it is a remote and "safe" place to test an orbital denial cannon in hopes they can mass produce it. It could even be a sort of last resort defense against a demon incursion heading to Earth in the event Mars is lost to the demons.

I still think it is an Earth defence thing. The gameplay reveal showed demons being destroyed by small guns on the ship. It seems like the person at the top was in favour of the demons, though.

What I am really curious about other than what the BFG10k is shooting at, is what the demons plan on doing to it? They could simply be trying to destroy it, but they could also be trying to capture it to do all sorts of nasty shit. Whatever the case, I also wonder if Doomguy is trying to save the facility and the BFG or if we will have do something like the Argent Tower and break the Gun to keep the demons or the crazy UAC from using it to cause more chaos.

54 minutes ago, Linguica said:

My initial guess is that the BFG 10K is how they deliver argent energy to Earth, in a slight retcon to Doom 2016 (where flavor text vaguely mentions that the Argent Tower sends the energy to Earth somehow).

The Argent tower utilized the same principle as Doom 16's gauss gun, so somilar usage of BFG might not be omitted.

13 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Space is a dreadful place to invest in BFG artillery, and the fact that it's on Phobos—the closest natural satellite to its parent body of any in the solar system—just makes it doubly dumb. If you miss with the main ball projectile how on God's Green are you going to know when those tracers hit?

But that's 10,000, not 9,000. Moreover, it may be similar to Quake 3 one.

Edited by Boilers!

54 minutes ago, Stale Meat said:

What I am really curious about other than what the BFG10k is shooting at, is what the demons plan on doing to it? They could simply be trying to destroy it, but they could also be trying to capture it to do all sorts of nasty shit. Whatever the case, I also wonder if Doomguy is trying to save the facility and the BFG or if we will have do something like the Argent Tower and break the Gun to keep the demons or the crazy UAC from using it to cause more chaos.

We're going to destroy it, for sure.

If the plot involves a Titan the 10K would be an effective way to drop one. The demons could've repurposed it to tear a bigger rift between dimensions. Hell has an amazing engineering department. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

Is it just me or is the BFG the big cannon on the space ship now?

I'm just taking a guess. But maybe that SUPER BFG Cannon is actually the Original design. The UAC was just able to shrink it down to a "Man-Portable" sized weapon over time. You know, kinda like with computer chips, over time the designs become more advanced and efficient, the chips get smaller.

Edited by tsareppsun