Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anyfreedoomtexs

Are there any good Doom or Quake texture packs that are available for commercial use?

Hello everyone, so recently I had a pretty cool idea for a retro-styled FPS game I decided to make in Unity. Now while it won't exactly be Doom styled per se, I do want to use a more old-school simplistic lighting model and low-res textures (with no filtering of course, AA and bi/trilinear filtering on classic or low res games games looks like crap) to give it that 90s PS1/PC vibe, and I know that the Doom and Quake communities are in no short supply of those :D Now I haven't gotten very far into the development process yet but I was thinking that I might want to sell the game on say Steam or GOG when I am done with it, so I was wondering if there are any god Doom or Quake texture WADs that give permission to use them in commercial projects. If anyone knows of any that match that criteria feel free to post links to idgames or quaddicted or wherever the pack is. Of course I will give credit to the texture authors as well :)

Freedoom's assets are royalty-free, that is the best place to start.

Good to use them as placeholder and eventually create your own art.

It's smartest to make your own assets if you are making a commercial project, however. Even if you don't go for the same amount of detail as Doom, you can still make a good looking game with a cohesive art style.

Take for instance Cybershade being made by @TwinBeast 

cybershadedoom_1.png

Edited by wheresthebeef

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

Freedoom's assets are royalty-free, that is the best place to start.

Good to use them as placeholder and eventually create your own art.

It's smartest to make your own assets if you are making a commercial project, however. Even if you don't go for the same amount of detail as Doom, you can still make a good looking game with a cohesive art style.

Take for instance Cybershade being made by @TwinBeast 

cybershadedoom_1.png

That looks pretty nice :) It looks like Doom with a custom palette and color restricting shader. Which isn't exactly the style I am trying to achieve, I was thinking more of a more "realistic" kind of retro style, like the kind of graphics you would normally see on games of the time, like MGS1 or Syphon Filter 1, that kind of style. Not the caricaturistic "modern" low res/low poly kind like your screenshot. Sort of like this:

52847-Syphon_Filter_2_(E)_(v1.0)_(Disc_1

hqdefault.jpg

Except of course in 1st person

Unfortunately while I do have some coding experience I have relatively little game dev experience so some things are proving to be a bit of a hassle, especially getting the shader and lighting settings down. I know more or less what I want but it's proving to be a bit annoying to get there :/ though I'm mostly chalking that up to lack of experience for now. If I can get the stupid lighting right then I will be good to go since I would consider myself an OK level designer (although it does take me a while to make maps but that's beside the point...) I have made a couple of maps for Doom before, in fact I have actually released a couple on here before. I just made this acc specifically to ask the texture question, if you couldn't tell by the name lol