Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanomen

Blood decals and disappearing bodies

Well at least thanks to this thread I did some research and understood how resources files work. I will try and unpack some of them, curious to see what can be done. 

So if I understood correctly, once the files are unpacked they need to be repacked into a .resource archive. How did the python script solved that issue exactly?

Python pulls files from a "mods" folders , If the files match the extracted directory structure of the resource file , then it replaces them.

there are some .exe edits that have to be done; as the game by default will not accept a modified resource file as any update to the file(s) within changes the hash of the file .. meta.resources expects one particular hash from gameresources. therefor you have to run idrehash to update it.  

I had success in modifying the exe (wanted to try that by myself) with x64dbg so game runs successfully your modified resource files. Did some investigations in exe with no luck so far. Are there any news right now?

No...not really. No one really cares much for destructibles at the moment. 

I think in part cuz everyone has ideas for their own mods and figuring out what's actually happening with destructibles isnt very easy on the surface. So they are kinda doing the things that do work now. I even offered one person to combine my mod with his and make a "brutal doom" type of package for Eternal,  if we could figure out destructibles,  but he didnt seem to care much for the idea as he really didnt even acknowledge that part of my comment so... meh, is what it is I guess. 

I however;  have a few ideas.. inside the .exe there are strings relating to the "destructible manager" . The manager is responsible for allocating and freeing destructibles. Both have strings in the .exe,  It's that "freeing" part that may hold some promise but have to stop it without breaking the .exe . 

That's my idea right now. I have seen nothing in regards to anyone figuring out how to extract .streamdb files or the like. I guess I'm on my own with it, well me and those of us that care about persistent gore. 

The script was updated that patches the .resource file . So, theres a chance that maybe it just wasn't working correctly but idk. That seems a long shot as other edits with other decls worked just fine prior. Still its worth looking into , which I intend too here in a few days. 

Eternal will be updated soon, likely breaking the mod as it is now. Should be a relatively easy fix as just have to repatch it. As long as the code in the .exe doesnt change. 

One guy says hes been talking with the guy that inspired me to figure this out for 2016. The one that made the initial videos of persistent corpses..(I link below) If that's true, hopefully he could help out with this endeavor.. though I'll admit, it seems a long shot, this guy hasn't been around for 3 years.

This guy never released his mod , which is why I looked into it in the first place, to at least get the persistent gore part to work as best as I could and release that since all we had was videos from him showing it but nothing in terms of how to get it working, or even a mod from him that made it work.

This guy: 

Edited by KNIGHTMARE077

9 hours ago, KNIGHTMARE077 said:

No...not really. No one really cares much for destructibles at the moment. 

I think in part cuz everyone has ideas for their own mods and figuring out what's actually happening with destructibles isnt very easy on the surface. So they are kinda doing the things that do work now. I even offered one person to combine my mod with his and make a "brutal doom" type of package for Eternal,  if we could figure out destructibles,  but he didnt seem to care much for the idea as he really didnt even acknowledge that part of my comment so... meh, is what it is I guess. 

I however;  have a few ideas.. inside the .exe there are strings relating to the "destructible manager" . The manager is responsible for allocating and freeing destructibles. Both have strings in the .exe,  It's that "freeing" part that may hold some promise but have to stop it without breaking the .exe . 

That's my idea right now. I have seen nothing in regards to anyone figuring out how to extract .streamdb files or the like. I guess I'm on my own with it, well me and those of us that care about persistent gore. 

So man please listen!

I DO care very well to find a solution for that. I also do much research (mostly on the net) for any help very often. But the problem is, even though I'm technically experienced, I'm really bad in programming or understanding program codes and commands and so on.

You are right (and it was the same with D2016 in the first years!!), no one besides a few like you were interested in Legacy Mod. Many users were angry about the fact of vanishing stuff, but nearly no one did something to prevent that.

So thanks to you, emoose, the guy below and some others, that we all finally have the solution for D2016 years after the release..

With Eternal it looks a little bit similar, even if there already are some good solutions.

I can confirm that I've also haven't seen many good answers to your questions on other boards, even one incomprehensible to me by a board operator.

So (to speak for myself): Tested many, many different CVARS already and also combinations of them in hope, that not working commands by now could be activated in that way. No success at all.

Also analyzed the Eternal.exe with x64dbg to find something noticeable. 

Completely underline your assumption that (de-)activating must be somewhere inside an executable file.

So please tell me what I can do to help you. Will try my best!

I also want to thank the other people here like Kaos and many others who try to help us.

This forum is simply the best place for our needs!

10 hours ago, KNIGHTMARE077 said:

The script was updated that patches the .resource file . So, theres a chance that maybe it just wasn't working correctly but idk. That seems a long shot as other edits with other decls worked just fine prior. Still its worth looking into , which I intend too here in a few days. 

Eternal will be updated soon, likely breaking the mod as it is now. Should be a relatively easy fix as just have to repatch it. As long as the code in the .exe doesnt change. 

One guy says hes been talking with the guy that inspired me to figure this out for 2016. The one that made the initial videos of persistent corpses..(I link below) If that's true, hopefully he could help out with this endeavor.. though I'll admit, it seems a long shot, this guy hasn't been around for 3 years.

This guy never released his mod , which is why I looked into it in the first place, to at least get the persistent gore part to work as best as I could and release that since all we had was videos from him showing it but nothing in terms of how to get it working, or even a mod from him that made it work.

This guy: 

Ok that gives some hope again. It is really sad the noone else like you seems to take care about the resource files, nor to keep track for a repack method.

I also followed that guy from your video in past.

As you may have seen some pages before, I already asked you one thing about him.

So I unpacked the game resource file gameresource.resources.

I found a bunch of monster folders, but I have there only .tgs files (that I could not open, don't know why, tried with both gimp and a tga viewer) but no scripting at all.

Then there are some discrete animations, I suppose for glory kills, some shockwave flash files, for menus and... nothing much else. 

Where are you looking?

I think we have breakthrough curtousy of nikkmann . I have a lot of work to do but I think we have worked around the limitations to a point where all of this will stay.. still lots of editing and testing to do but i think we at least have a beta release with all gore staying..i think.  more as soon as possible

I know glory kills stays, crucible kills stay... gibs etc are being reported as staying as well but I cant confirm that myself. Yet. 

Interestingly it was in the same locations I spent a week editing ... idk if I just edited the wrong entries or the early script just didnt import the files or what but it may be remedied ...😬

Absolutely great job!!

Finally THAT is Doom!! I cannot feel any performance break. So it encourages me again in my impression that many argumentations for decals to have to vanish fast under the cloak of performance in many games are nothing else than censorship!

6 minutes ago, SamIam76 said:

Absolutely great job!!

Finally THAT is Doom!! I cannot feel any performance break. So it encourages me again in my impression that many argumentations for decals to have to vanish fast under the cloak of performance in many games are nothing else than censorship!

Well I think it's more of PC being held to a console standard. It's the problem with "mutiplatform" games. They make 1 version with only fidelity and fps differences between them. PCs get higher resolutions and potential extras but core gameplay gets 0 bonuses. 

Their breakable demon system work quite well for this purpose. It's a shame they did not implement it in the unmodded game, eventually with just an option to switch on and off.

Alright...we are close now... just small things left...so close... lol 

Brief list of additions to expect and bugs (subject to change):

-Gibs blown off stay

-FBG stays

-Gibs blown off have that glow effect removed (most enemies)

- All Chainsawed enemies stay

(Blood pools are being added to cs corpses.)

- All Glorykilled enemies stay.

(Blood pools are being added to GK corpses)

-Crucibled enemies stay

-Cacodemon ragdolls was changed to fbg 

-Cacodemon crucible will cut then explode

-Painelemental shares those caco changes (this was due to janky physics with both flying demons)

-Breakables like barrels misc items will also stay. *timer*

-Pieces tagged as "a.i" stay *timer*

-Mancubus Signature Death stays.

-Tyrant signature death stays.

Bugs:

-Destroyer blade kills and slices still fade..

-Sounds of demons may play even though they are dead.

-Gladiator corpse is reanimated during cinematic. 🤷‍♂️

-blood pools kinda spawn if they want to. 2/3 times.

Crucible rampages may break spawns (testing / investigating )

Hopefully we will have a release canidate ready soon and also that any game update doesnt destroy this before that. 

Credits for all the Keep The Dead Eternal Edition Ver 0.5b hard work:

NikkMann, Blubber, Knightmare077.

Credits to those who make that work possible and all Doom 2016/Eternal modding possible:

Emoose, Infogram, SunBeam, Zip-Zwap Zapony, Suntado Tsukai181, Visual Studio. 

Edited by KNIGHTMARE077

What do you mean with FBG? Fucking Big Gib? 

And how does the currrent version of the mod affect the AI count? I'm assuming that only gibs, that worked with the early Cheat Engine version of the mod, still count to the active ai count. Is that how it works or was a way found to make those ragdolls no longer count to that limit either? 

In case of the former, I guess using a lot of glory kills, chainsaw kills, or fully gibbing demons avoids hitting the ai cap as these gibs and ragdolls might not count to the ai, right?

8 hours ago, KNIGHTMARE077 said:

-Gladiator corpse is reanimated during cinematic. 🤷‍♂️

Oh yeah, that amusing bug existed since the first version of the mod. For anyone curious, here is how it looks: 

Edited by Lampenpam

What counts as a.i still counts as a.i 

Most other stuff you see in the preview vid isnt a issue. Gibs pieces,  signature deaths corpses etc ... 

Looking into crucible stuff there might be a issue there... still cant confirm. Trying our best to enabled as much as possible without crapping all over the spawn mechanics.. it's a bit of a balancing act in some regard but all in all i think we are going to be fine. 

The a.i limit , how it's set, where it's set etc Is a bit of a mystery. It appears like each map has a pool and each enemy a.i  is a assigned a token value that represents a chunk of that pool... 

Now no idea if it's really per map or if it's just global,  this pool.. nor do I know where to find the values to the tokens or the actual assigned pool maximum values etc

So a.i limit is still a thing but it's something that can be managed like in 2016... 

The difference is most of the stuff in 2016 could be done through the console...with eternal there isnt any commands really to enable most of this , it was all either stripped out or left over code for 2016 that doesnt function. So all the files have to be edited . 

I gave it a go and started a new game. First level worked fine without issues. I kinda like how slow the Cacodemon corpses burn away, like they are actually on fire and slowly burn to ash. And apparently chainsawed corpses or broken props stay forever? 

Anyway, I'm stuck in the second level. There is a crash right when you enter the cave with the first purple goo pit. Right here.

46 minutes ago, Lampenpam said:

I gave it a go and started a new game. First level worked fine without issues. I kinda like how slow the Cacodemon corpses burn away, like they are actually on fire and slowly burn to ash. And apparently chainsawed corpses or broken props stay forever? 

Anyway, I'm stuck in the second level. There is a crash right when you enter the cave with the first purple goo pit. Right here.

Try the 0.51b files *the beta blues* but progress :)

I see you are now required to use DEternal_loadMods? Or is that only required when you want other mod to work with it too? It kinda confuses me as that other mod also requires two other exe files and I'm not sure what I'd have to use there and in which order.   

But I tried it without DEternal_loadMods and my game still crashed at the exact same spot. 

So I used 0.5b again and jumped into the master level. It was quite a blast and looking at the aftermath is awesome: 

dotkrCb.jpg

Performance was fine and I beat the level without big issues. Only a few amusing visual bugs occurred. Like after some time the Mancubus doesn't fully explode anymore when killed by a strong attack. However it then still does the same animation, which stretches out model. I guess there is a cap on exploded Mancubus corpses, as these don't burn away and I never reloaded any checkpoint through the entire level.   

And when the Cyberdemon upper bodies gibs, it re-appears after some times which leaves him with two sculls.  

Two more screenshots:   

Spoiler

2hYsDgC.jpg

nvyBtrm.jpg

So yeah, it works great so far. The mess you can make is delicious. 

Edited by Lampenpam

7 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

I see you are now required to use DEternal_loadMods? Or is that only required when you want other mod to work with it too? It kinda confuses me as that other mod also requires two other exe files and I'm not sure what I'd have to use there and in which order.   

But I tried it without DEternal_loadMods and my game still crashed at the exact same spot. 

DEternal loadmods is only required when using the modloads version. 

0.51b has a Steam version, Bethesda version and a modloads version. 

So I uninstalled the mod, went through the purple goo cave and at the next checkpoint I installed the mod again. At the next purple goo pit the game crashed again. So I'm pretty sure that tentacles inside of purple goo cause the crash because the first map has Tentacles and worked fine and Arc Complex has purple Goo and worked fine as well. Only Excultia crashes and only when you are about to enter the areas with tentacles and purple goo.   

After beating that level I could properly continue to rip and tear without issues.   

EDIT: bonus clip

Edited by Lampenpam

3 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

So I uninstalled the mod, went through the purple goo cave and at the next checkpoint I installed the mod again. At the next purple goo pit the game crashed again. So I'm pretty sure that tentacles inside of purple goo cause the crash because the first map has Tentacles and worked fine and Arc Complex has purple Goo and worked fine as well. Only Excultia crashes and only when you are about to enter the areas with tentacles and purple goo.   

After beating that level I could properly continue to rip and tear without issues.   

EDIT: bonus clip

I'll have to check it out.

It will be a few days but heres my list lol:

1) some Mancubus chunks still disappear (reported by tester)

2) add destroyer blade edits too keep gibs etc

3) purple goo and tenticles cause a crash in excultia level. 

4) Mancubus stops exploding after a awhile but still does animation.

Edited by KNIGHTMARE077

Yep, just looking over the files I have with me, I think I see the issue with the goo and tenticle... maybe. Be a few days before I can test a solution but I think I see the problem.