Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Do You Like Doom 3?

I've spent hundreds+ (maybe even thousands) hours in DOOM 3. Great atmosphere, almost photorealistic (in that time) graphics. After real good looking QUAKE, QUAKE 2, shock looking QUAKE 3 - DOOM 3 was like movie quality game. Real time shadows, sfx - steam looks like real, sound, design, and story. That was something new in id software games. Still remember old trailers with running Hell Knight (in a game they don't run), pinky eating fat zombie, and the "birdman". Yes, that was something great. Still love it.

One of my fav trailer:

in really bad quality :(

I enjoyed Doom 3, but I feel like if it didn't have the Doom name slapped on it, it would just be an average shooter that would have been forgotten by the gaming community. Most of it takes place in similar looking corridors and rooms, and it only really felt like Doom during the hell missions.

It's alright. Some of the darker sections look astounding to this very day, the atmosphere is incredibly thick with the Hell section being one of the most memorable, most of the monster redesigns look great with the addition of some insect-like features. On the other hand, the scares get cheaper and cheaper as the game goes on and some of the weapons sound like NERF toys. While Doom 3 does get plenty of undeserved flak, I do understand why some people left disappointed awaiting a proper sequel to the classics.

7 hours ago, Teder said:

One of my fav trailer:

Not bad, it's kinda amusing the revenant sounds are from the classic games, however i prefer the PC launch trailer, it sets up the game premise straight away, and i specially love when the theme kicks in with a shooting montage. It's one of my favorite game trailers of all time

Good stuff

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

Man, all D3 trailers were awesome. How about this one?

There's a lot of weird things on that trailer since the game was still in development at that point, such as an actual mars city skyline, scientists wearing labcoats, a more action feel, and different sounds, but it really is a memorable trailer

15 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Still my favorite Doom 3 trailer. 

Love them all too.

I like Doom3, but more because of its graphics and atmosphere. I find its gameplay a bit underwhelming. The inclusion of weapon reloading, although it was trendy among the games of that time, which I used to like, has become a repetitive obsession and annoyance to me nowadays. Last time I played, I remapped reload to some key that I would never press, thus I only got to reload after depleting a magazine, which I found much more fun to play.

I have a kind of on-again, off-again relationship with Doom 3. I liked it when it first came out and I played the crap out of it along with mods. Then the BFG Edition came out and that kind of soured my experience (don't get me started on the "Lost Mission"). Then Doom 2016 came out and it made it hard for me to get back into Doom 3 seeing as Doom 2016 is closer to classic Doom (to me, at least) in spirit.

I plan on giving Doom 3 another shot though. One of my favorite mods for Resurrection of Evil (Tested) got updated months back and I want to give it another spin to see what's been added and changed. I also kind of want to try Phobos when it comes out.

I guess for me, I like Doom 3 for what it is and as long as I focus on that, it's a fun experience. It's a more horror-like, atmospheric take on the series and I felt like it does that well. The moment I start comparing it to other Doom games is when I start to lose interest in Doom 3 so I try not to do that anymore.