Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
buja-buja

Doomie id Tech 1 frontend launcher Release 1.7

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I've created a simple id Tech 1 frontend launcher and would like to share it with everyone. Feedback is appreciated!

 

Notes:
Current version is 1.7 and should be still a stable bug free release but in case you do find one, please let me know.
▪ You can name your IWads as you please, to do so create a file "Names.map" or use the one available for download, in the root folder where the app is. You can use HashCheck Shell Extension (Open-Source) to calculate MD5 hashes, available here: http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ the data format to be used is HASH=NAME.
▪ Playlists shows a custom icon if a .PNG file named after the Playlist exists where the Playlist file is located.

I'll be on holidays for the next few weeks. Enjoy!

 

Usage instructions:
1. Launch "Doomie.exe"
2. Create a Playlist wherever you want or select one available ("Open" or "Import" Playlists from somewhere else)
*** Do make sure one Playlist is selected ***
3. Use the "..." buttons to select the SourcePort & IWad
4. (Optional if you don't need any PWads) Using "Open" (selects one file) or "Import" (imports all *.wad, *.deh, *.pk7, ... files from the any directory) buttons add any PWads you wish to the Playlist
5. Click "Play" button

Note: Each playlist can be saved anywhere you wish and each can point to a different source port & IWad located anywhere you wish. Playlists, SourcePorts & Wads folders are part of the distribution zip file, but you don't have to use them, you can delete or ignore them, as a matter of fact the only needed files are: "Doomie.exe", "GongSolutions.Wpf.DragDrop.dll" and "Doomie.ico"; "Doomie.cfg" will be created if not exists when first run. Once you specify a Sourceport, IWad or PWad the app will remember the last used folder -- this is valid for each Open and Import button on the UI.
 

Version log:

Version 1.7 (03/09/2018)
▪ Implemented filter functionality over Playlists and PWads lists.
▪ UI clean-up.
▪ If "Playlist.png" file exists will be used as default Playlist icon where an icon for the Playlist name does not exist.
▪ "Names.map" file is no longer part of the main downloaded archive and is now a separate download file so it can be updated separately.

 

Version 1.6 (02/09/2018)
▪ Icon added, thank you NightFright.
▪ "Names.map" updated as per NightFright's contributions.
▪ Playlists shows a custom icon if a .PNG file named after the Playlist exists where the Playlist file is located.
▪ Columns resize automatically according to biggest row length.
▪ Remembers window Splitter position.
▪ Remembers Window position on screen.
▪ Removed support for Playlists drag and drop.
▪ Allows reordering of Playlists.


Version 1.5 (30/08/2018) One day ahead of schedule
▪ File "Names.map" if exists will be looked at to map IWads names.
▪ Added support to load PK7 files.
▪ Corrected an issue where un-maximizing the window would not use the previous window width.

 

Version 1.4 (26/08/2018)

▪ Fixed a bug where "Save As" functionality if saving over an existing Playlist would crash.
▪ Fixed a bug where "Remove playlist(s)" was calling the save playlist functionality also for playlists other than the selected one(s).
▪ List of loaded Playlists persists through sessions.
▪ Reworked the "About" dialog a little bit.
▪ Added Playlist "Location" on to the "Save changes" dialog.
▪ Removed command line parameters functionality.
▪ Added identification for a few more stand-alone IWads.
▪ Doomie settings are now saved in "Doomie.cfg" file instead of "Settings.ini".
▪ Saves last "Import" and "Load" location used for Playlists, Sourceport, IWAD and WAD files separately in "Doomie.cfg" file.
 

Version 1.3.1 (24/08/2018)
▪ Fixed a bug when using directories with spaces was not passing paths with spaces to the Sourceport correctly.

▪ A "Not found" message is displayed when the IWad or Sourceport used is missing.

             

Version 1.3 (23/08/2018)
▪ Implemented support for arguments per Sourceport.
▪ Saves the window size in "Settings.ini" file (this file is saved where the application is located). (Changed to "Doomie.cfg" in later versions)

 

Version 1.2 (19/08/2018)

▪ Added Sourceport parameter parsing ability at the command line. (Removed in later versions)

▪ Importing PWAD files already in Playlist keeps existing PWAD with it's flag settings.

▪ Prompts for saving Playlist changes on "Remove" or "Clear" if any.

 

Version 1.1 (14/08/2018)
▪ Fixed a bug while importing PWAD files, if extension was different than lower-case would not import the files.
▪ Implemented support for Sourceport's "-merge" argument.
▪ Added support to load DEH and BEX files.
▪ Reworked the "About" dialog.

 

Version 1.0 (12/08/2018)
▪ Initial release.

 

Features:

  • Easy to use
  • Resolution independent UI
  • You can add your own names to each IWad

  • Works with any Source Port
  • No configuration options
  • Portable between machines (Windows only)
  • Free

 

Screenshot:

 

Doomie_Thumbnail.png.48611445cb4d7138dae2441e8981fc8e.png

 

Latest version:


Extras:


Old versions:

 

Platform:

  • Windows

 

Dependencies:

 

Edited by buja-buja : Doomie id Tech 1 frontend launcher Release 1.7

Share this post


Link to post

I use ZDL as my launcher. Is there anything in particular your launcher offers that this one doesn't?

I'm not trying to put yours down, I'm only trying to see what each has that the other doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post

Here's a nice idea for it that no launcher has: A checkbox that loads WADS with "-merge" instead of "-file". This is so it can fully support Chocolate Doom. More on -merge here.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/13/2018 at 1:23 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I use ZDL as my launcher. Is there anything in particular your launcher offers that this one doesn't?

I'm not trying to put yours down, I'm only trying to see what each has that the other doesn't.

Hi Aquila Chrysaetos, they are two different programs, please give it a try and see for yourself which one you prefer.

 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:16 AM, Sgt Nate V said:

Here's a nice idea for it that no launcher has: A checkbox that loads WADS with "-merge" instead of "-file". This is so it can fully support Chocolate Doom. More on -merge here.

Hi Sgt Nate V, I've uploaded a new version 1.1 Chocolate doom should now be supported, please let me know... Also note the playlist (dpf file) format changed so you'll need to create a new playlist...

 

Choco.JPG

Edited by buja-buja

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for sharing.  I'm messing about with it and I really like the fact that I can have a bunch of patches and just tick and untick them as compatibility demands.

 

I don't know if this is outwith your remit or plans but would you consider adding a couple of tick boxes for NO SOUND and NO MUSIC.  Sometimes I like to play with external music or a radio drama and it would just be nice to click a box rather than typing a command (player laziness FTW! :P)

 

Regardless, good work so far.  I can see this becoming my permanent ZDL replacement. :)

Share this post


Link to post

The ability to add a wildcard line into a playlist, which the program then queries on startup, would be something that might finally draw me to using a launcher, rather than using 2 seperate text files and copypasting into global.autoload.

 

I.e. I currently have a different playlist in one text file for each different modded setup I use that looks similar to this:

----------------------------------------------------------
The Trailblazer
----------------------------------------------------------
So what happens if you combine all of the Expendables into
one guy, add in a dash of MacGuyver, and a bit of Team America?
Malcolm Striker, the Trailblazer, is created. Made of 
action, ham, glory, freedom, and chainsmoking until your
lungs bleed, he's here to take on hell with explosions and
80's inspired guns crazy enough to make Michael Bay cry.
By far the most hilarious of the OP Pillowblaster mods. Great!

Path=$PROGDIR/Classicwads/INSERT MEGAWAD HERE
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/ColourfulHell.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/SpriteShadow v1.6.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/simpleuiaddons.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Trailblazer_v1.4c.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Champions.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/UniversalGibs.zip
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/OggMUSIC.wad

We have a description of each setup (so adding that as an option would be nice), and as you can see, we have "INSERT MEGAWAD HERE". All the WADs I have, with my personal quick reviews, are then in another text file, and I copy one of these across to cover over the wildcard.

 

A way for it automatically accept my subdirectories as well would be nice though I guess dragging and dropping sort of overwrites the need for that.

 

Maybe a way to auto-read a txt file of the same name as the wad you have highlighted in the interface and show it, if there is one of an identical name in the same place (most of the time, mappers leave a set with the wad and the txt).

 

ZDL was always too simple for my needs, and Rocket Launcher didn't have the features.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2018 at 11:08 PM, Average said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'm messing about with it and I really like the fact that I can have a bunch of patches and just tick and untick them as compatibility demands.

 

I don't know if this is outwith your remit or plans but would you consider adding a couple of tick boxes for NO SOUND and NO MUSIC.  Sometimes I like to play with external music or a radio drama and it would just be nice to click a box rather than typing a command (player laziness FTW! :P)

 

Regardless, good work so far.  I can see this becoming my permanent ZDL replacement. :)

 

Hi Average, glad you like the app. About no sound, you can turn off or down the computer sound volume as you wish, or at command prompt type doomie.exe -nosound if you choose to listen to your favorite mp3 selection this will pass that onto the source port if supported it will be applicable (-nomusic and -nosfx are pretty much standard among source ports).

 

On 8/21/2018 at 9:59 AM, eharper256 said:

The ability to add a wildcard line into a playlist, which the program then queries on startup, would be something that might finally draw me to using a launcher, rather than using 2 seperate text files and copypasting into global.autoload.

 

I.e. I currently have a different playlist in one text file for each different modded setup I use that looks similar to this:


----------------------------------------------------------
The Trailblazer
----------------------------------------------------------
So what happens if you combine all of the Expendables into
one guy, add in a dash of MacGuyver, and a bit of Team America?
Malcolm Striker, the Trailblazer, is created. Made of 
action, ham, glory, freedom, and chainsmoking until your
lungs bleed, he's here to take on hell with explosions and
80's inspired guns crazy enough to make Michael Bay cry.
By far the most hilarious of the OP Pillowblaster mods. Great!

Path=$PROGDIR/Classicwads/INSERT MEGAWAD HERE
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/ColourfulHell.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/SpriteShadow v1.6.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/simpleuiaddons.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Trailblazer_v1.4c.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Champions.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/UniversalGibs.zip
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/OggMUSIC.wad

We have a description of each setup (so adding that as an option would be nice), and as you can see, we have "INSERT MEGAWAD HERE". All the WADs I have, with my personal quick reviews, are then in another text file, and I copy one of these across to cover over the wildcard.

 

A way for it automatically accept my subdirectories as well would be nice though I guess dragging and dropping sort of overwrites the need for that.

 

Maybe a way to auto-read a txt file of the same name as the wad you have highlighted in the interface and show it, if there is one of an identical name in the same place (most of the time, mappers leave a set with the wad and the txt).

 

ZDL was always too simple for my needs, and Rocket Launcher didn't have the features.

 

Hi eharper245, did you try the program? Not really sure about what are you asking I assume what you want is a playlist or multiple playlists with the patches you want, if you create a playlist and use the Import Pwad functionality it will import all supported file types you then just need to thene remove or untick the Load checkbox to deal with patches you don't want or need, add source port, Iwad & click Play, regarding the description you shouldn't need a description you should be able to identify the playlist by it's name.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, buja-buja said:

eharper256, did you try the program? Not really sure about what are you asking I assume what you want is a playlist or multiple playlists with the patches you want, if you create a playlist and use the Import Pwad functionality it will import all supported file types you then just need to thene remove or untick the Load checkbox to deal with patches you don't want or need, add source port, Iwad & click Play, regarding the description you shouldn't need a description you should be able to identify the playlist by it's name.

 

Mmm, no I haven't, but unless I'm missing something the main thing I'm after is not really present. I realise I can untick pwads from a selection; what I'm after is the ability to modify which level-set/megawad pwad I'm playing with this set of mods on the fly. I don't want to have a massive list of 300+ random pwads in each playlist just so I can tick one to play. Hence a wildcard-type-solution. And yes, I can store a small easy description in the title, but if I'm going to have a front-end I want to have the ability to type up reviews afterwards for future reference.

 

Sorry if I sounded negative by the way, still looks like a good frontend; and I realise I'm probably asking for a rather mad idea that maybe no-one else will even use, so don't worry about it. XD

Share this post


Link to post

Hi eharper256, no worries, please give it a try and see what you could achieve with it. You could create a playlist with:

Path=$PROGDIR/Classicwads/MEGAWAD 1 HERE
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/ColourfulHell.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/SpriteShadow v1.6.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/simpleuiaddons.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Trailblazer_v1.4c.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Champions.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/UniversalGibs.zip
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/OggMUSIC.wad

if you want to use another megawad you could then have another playlist like so as an example:

Path=$PROGDIR/Classicwads/MEGAWAD 2 HERE
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Trailblazer_v1.4c.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/Champions.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/Mods/OggMUSIC.wad

not sure thought if that will suit your needs. Then it's just a matter of selecting which playlist you want to launch using the Play button. An easy way to "clone" playlists is to have one created and then modify and Save As. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post

This doesn't seem to be passing paths with spaces to the chosen source port correctly. Doom Retro can't find the IWAD I specified (the default Steam Doom 2 install directory), GZDoom gives the IWAD selection dialog and doesn't have the PWAD loaded.

 

Additionally, the buttons at the bottom right overlap if I resize the window too small. I run at 125% DPI (150% when I use my TV as an external display).

 

I see some great potential here with playlists, though! I feel like there needs to be a field for extra parameters to pass to the source port, saved as a part of the playlist.

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

This doesn't seem to be passing paths with spaces to the chosen source port correctly. Doom Retro can't find the IWAD I specified (the default Steam Doom 2 install directory), GZDoom gives the IWAD selection dialog and doesn't have the PWAD loaded.

 

Additionally, the buttons at the bottom right overlap if I resize the window too small. I run at 125% DPI (150% when I use my TV as an external display).

 

I see some great potential here with playlists, though! I feel like there needs to be a field for extra parameters to pass to the source port, saved as a part of the playlist.

 

Hi Dragonsbrethren, yes it seems there's a bug there which needs to be squashed, give me a few days to fix -- just uploaded v1.3 before seeing your comment :( extra parameters can be passed from command prompt and now also at UI level, see release notes.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×