Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Hugo Martin: it's called Doom Eternal because people kept calling the first one "Doom 2016"

Recommended Posts

They should probably come up with an official marketing name for it then so they can fix this once and for all. You can only see so many D44M and other stuff before it gets annoying, and typing out Doom 2016 or Doom '16 every time isn't very fun.

Share this post


Link to post

They didn't expect people would come up with a different name when they called it simply "DOOM"? That's rich. Literally everyone knew it would be confusing.

 

Also, my bet is 2020. They have a release window for RAGE2, Spring 2019. If they can't even say 2019 for sure with DE then I don't think it'll be released next year. Or at least it's highly unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post

I've never understood just why they thought calling the game simply "DOOM" was a good idea. Many fans of the games, especially ones who have been around for many years, often refer to most anything related to Doom as just "Doom". Then considering how many search engines won't discriminate between looking up Doom with "DOOM" means that of course people are going to add a secondary title to make it less confusing. I understand if they didn't want to call the game Doom 4, but just making the title all caps wasn't very bright on Id's part.

Share this post


Link to post

If true then good. Tbh, I originally thought "DOOM Eternal" was called this way because it would be one of those "Game As a Service" kind of thing. The name "eternal" implies it's gonna be there for a long time.

 

Glad I was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Also, my bet is 2020. They have a release window for RAGE2, Spring 2019. If they can't even say 2019 for sure with DE then I don't think it'll be released next year. Or at least it's highly unlikely.

Oh... I thought the slip of the tongue gave away the release year, or at least the year they are targeting.

Share this post


Link to post

There's a lot more meat on Doom Eternal's bones already than the demonstrations of Doom 2016, so 2019 isn't an unreasonable release range.

Share this post


Link to post

Really should have called "DOOM' just "DOOM 4"... and people wouldn't be calling it "Doom 2016"

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grimosaur said:

They should have called Doom 2016 Doom Eternal and then they could just call it Doom Eternal 2... though I guess that doesn't sound very good either ._.

Nope, then sequel to Eternal could be Doom Serene (and subsequently, Doom Infinite thereafter).

Edited by Boilers!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Touchdown said:

They didn't expect people would come up with a different name when they called it simply "DOOM"? That's rich. Literally everyone knew it would be confusing.

 

It's not actually that unusual to borrow the original title of a series for a new game. No-one calls the new God of War "God of War 2018" or the most recent Battlefront games "New Battlefront".

 

But I think they underestimated just how much the original Doom is still a relevant part of modern gaming. "But can it play Doom?" is still as common a joke as it's ever been. 

 

That's why Doom 2016 needed an additional lable.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Why the fuck did they expect us to call it DOOM only? We already have DOOM. It came out a long ass time ago, did they forget they already used that name? Hell they even messed it up again by calling this one Eternal since we already have Eternal Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Really should have called "DOOM' just "DOOM 4"... and people wouldn't be calling it "Doom 2016"

Seriously, it's not hard. It's like they're embarrassed about there being 4 of them or something. Doom Eternal isn't the best name Imo but it's a hell of a lot better than just "Doom" or "Doom 2".

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Why the fuck did they expect us to call it DOOM only? We already have DOOM. It came out a long ass time ago, did they forget they already used that name? Hell they even messed it up again by calling this one Eternal since we already have Eternal Doom.

I think they are trying to get newcomers to not know of the original games existence.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I think they are trying to get newcomers to not know of the original games existence.

 

They should be encouraging them, not discouraging them with this name nonsense because that's where Doom started.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ex Oblivione said:

 What’s next, Doom Brutal?

This, especially since Doom Eternal's name also references a PWAD that's been around for quite a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stale Meat said:

I've never understood just why they thought calling the game simply "DOOM" was a good idea. Many fans of the games, especially ones who have been around for many years, often refer to most anything related to Doom as just "Doom". Then considering how many search engines won't discriminate between looking up Doom with "DOOM" means that of course people are going to add a secondary title to make it less confusing. I understand if they didn't want to call the game Doom 4, but just making the title all caps wasn't very bright on Id's part.

That's just one of many horrible mistakes they made with the marketing.  It's like they did everything they possibly could to screw it up.

 

Thank god the game itself turned out so great.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Hugo was exasperated because he spotted cookie crumbs and nougat in the interviewers beard and realized the guy probarbly ate the last Twix at Quakecon.

Please tell me this is a Seinfeld reference.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Please tell me this is a Seinfeld reference.

I knew someone was going to catch on!

Share this post


Link to post

I bet they don't expect the game to be called "DOOM Eternal 2019"

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

They should have called Doom 2016 Doom Eternal and then they could just call it Doom Eternal 2... though I guess that doesn't sound very good either ._.

Doom Eternal Infinite

Share this post


Link to post

I always called it Doom 4. I'll call this one Doom 5. Seems easy enough to remember.

Share this post


Link to post

What do they expect us to call it? There is only one Doom. They should have named it Doom Reborn or Rebirth or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post

everyone's been claiming that id really did a good job incorporating community feedback in this new game.

 

i guess this applies at almost every level of the game at this point. heh

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I think they are trying to get newcomers to not know of the original games existence.

I know it's probably a joke but it would be weird if that were true, especially considering the presence of classic DOOM and DOOM II levels, haha.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×