Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

.pk3 not loading in GZdoom

Question

Went to test run my map in GZDoom (Doom2) as a pk3 and all i got was the Doom2 map 1 level : (

My pk3 has three folders : Flats, Maps (with the wad inside) and Textures as well as a text document which has all the animedefs etc. 

After the first failed attempt I made a folder in the "maps" folder and named it 01 and put the wad in that, but that still didn't work. Just the start of Doom2 map1 still. 

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Make sure the map inside of the WAD is called MAP01, regardless of the map it's actually going to take the slot of. Also make sure there's only one map inside the WAD file. The WAD's filename is the mapslot it takes, so if you expect it to take MAP01, it should be called MAP01.wad.

Note that the file name and not the map label inside the WAD determines how the map is named in the game.

For more info and possible help troubleshooting, check your structure based on this wiki page:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

That worked! Thank you Dragonfly!

To clarify for anyone else that has this issue, this is what i did:

-I went and saved my wad as Map01 (So it becomes Map01.wad).

-Then i erased all the backup wads in the "maps" folder. So only Map01.wad is in the folder.

-The map I'm making now has 3 folders: Flats / Maps (with Map01.wad) / Textures......and also the animedefs text document.

-Delete the current pk3 and then select all the above ( 3 folders + text document) and compile a new pk3 (Select the 3 folders + text document and then compile them to a Zip file. When it's complete rename the Zip file as a pk3 file. You can call the pk3 anything you like. eg: MyDoomMap.pk3

-Drag and drop the pk3 into GZDoom or whatever you play Doom on ; )   You should see your map instead of Doom2 level 1.

The map inside the wad can have any name, not only MAP01. Even though I don't have to, I like to have the map name inside the wad match the map name in the file name. EMP01.wad contains a map called EMP01, and so on. As a bonus, I don't have to remember whether it is the map name or file name that determines the final map name.

This has not caused me any problems so far.  Am I just getting away with something I shouldn't be doing that might cause problems in the future?

Hold on, hold on. Now I'm confused...LOL Even though my problem got solved, what you guys said didn't make sense.

Imagine i make a pk3 that has 2 maps for Doom2 that should replace the first two levels (Entryway / Underhalls). I'll call them Hellish Base and Caco City. (LOL) I'll call the pk3 Imp Redemption.

So would this work? : 

ImpRedemtion.Pk3 - Flats

- Maps - Hellishbase.wad

-Cacocity.wad

- Textures

-( animedefs text document)

Also, assuming that's fine, would the first map read as Hellishbase or Entryway when you check the Computer Map or finish the level? 

That could work, but you'd have to write the MAPINFO so that instead of MAP01 and MAP02, it goes for the slots Hellishbase and Cacocity.

Doom 2 by default, when you press New Game, searches for Map01. That's why Dragonfly suggested it. You can call it whatever, but then there's an additional step to tell GZDoom to search for a different name.

The automap will display what you name the map in the Mapinfo lump, which is separate to naming the wad file.

Naming maps anything other than mapxx will also confuse and upset people trying to idclev or otherwise warp around your wad, heh. Best case is to name the maps mapxx and give them the names you want in mapinfo, which will make their names appear as, for example: MAP01: Hellish Base, instead of Hellishbase01: Entryway.