Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elarmadillo3

What do you think of Rage?

It's been discussed here quite a bit. I've never played it and me (seriously, Grammarly?) probably never will. I'm ambivalent towards it. 

The gun-play is good, the environment design is often outstanding, but the driving felt bolted-on and didn't integrate naturally in the way the Grand Theft Auto games do. The writing, while occasionally fun, comes across as a superficial, less interesting version of Fallout3. Overall it's still a considerable improvement over Doom3, and I had fun with it while it lasted, but I doubt I'll ever replay it.

Plenty of people I know were only able to play it after like 5+ years of owning the game on PC. I thought it was fine, with a bland setting. A lot of the boasted "unscripted events" felt totally scripted. The levels are long. Dare I say too long given the garbage piled up setting coupled with the fact you were fighting different gangs that didn't have much diversity between gang members. The outside environments looked great, but where the game truly took place was mostly underground and that's where the setting was dull and a bit monotonous.

While I gave it two serious tries to play through it, I was never able to muster through it and quickly lost interest. When a game is good and fun for me, I can just plow through it over a few days.

Having to trudge through towns over and over felt a bit cumbersome like I'd rather play a different game that would just drop me in a level, than have to go hunting for a quest. Driving felt forgettable as I'm having a tough time thinking of how it was.

Multiplayer didn't feel that good, but maybe that's because I played it with a friend long after the multiplayer had died.

3 hours ago, Chezza said:

Rage 2 looks promising.

I agree with you big stompy robot. I'd rather play the second one in all its colorful glory than the first one. Sure it's 10 years of hindsight being made by a studio that's also making like 4 major games, but it should be better.

I loved everything about RAGE except three things:

1) The poop ending

2) The car races

3) The minigames