Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom4Ever

Annoying bug in all of my doomgames

Hello to everyone

recently I noticed that in all of my doomgames( doom 1 to doom2016) the weapons changing automatically (even if I still have ammo and sometimes even in a middle of a combat) without my permission?

Is there a chance someone here can explain to me the reason for this bug and more important how to fix it?

Sounds like you're picking up a new weapon that you previously didn't collect. This changes your current gun. In some source ports you can change this behaviour; I know it's 100% possible in Zandronum to set a priority list and disable auto switch in it's entirety. Hope this helps!

In ZDoom it is possible to disable the switching of weapons on pickup, but if you're using Chocolate, Crispy, or PRBoom, then there's no way to disable it in those ports.

Alternatively, you could be switching using the mouse wheel and not noticing.

5 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Alternatively, you could be switching using the mouse wheel and not noticing.

That right there is the tale of anyone who plays on mac with one of those garbage 'magic mouse' things. I can barely tolerate it for 'average computer use' at work, but playing games with it is just plain awful, heh.

Thanks for the help: I forgot to mention that my classicd doom games are GZdoom and doom64 absolution.

Besides that ,Recently I even saw this issue in doom2016 .

to dragonfly :seems you didn't understand me correctly,my complains 

related to moving between areas in the level or in a middle of a combat not when I pick up weapons or a few seconds after that.

to Aquila:I'm already using the mouse wheel

At the end of the day I'm only guessing what the issue could be, based on the low level of info actually given.

In that case I'd lean towards Aquila's guess that you're mistakenly pressing your weapon switch buttons or using your scroll wheel. I feel especially inclined to say this if this is happening in other games such as Doom'16.

@Doom4Ever, what people are trying to tell you is that you may switch weapons with your mousewheel without being aware that it happens. For example, if your mousewheel is too loose, then that might cause you to swap weapons unvoluntarily. If I were you, I'd play with a different mouse for an hour or two, and if the problem is still the same, then you know it's not the mouse. However if changing to another mouse solves the issue, then it's your mouse that's the problem.

You can try playing classic doom with keyboard only to determine if your issue comes your mouse. A good alternative can be a modern gamepad, it is very playable with no free look and now there enough button to put all the weapons shortcut.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

what people are trying to tell you is that you may switch weapons with your mousewheel without being aware that it happens.

I used to have an old mouse that sometimes registered a wheel turn event even when no one was near the computer.

@Doom4Ever , you should definitely try another mouse.

Most likely problem with the mouse. Try to unbind mouse scroll and see if it keeps happening

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That right there is the tale of anyone who plays on mac with one of those garbage 'magic mouse' things. I can barely tolerate it for 'average computer use' at work, but playing games with it is just plain awful, heh.

Yes, that is so true. The magic mouse has some nice features, but if I'm playing games, I switch to a regular mouse. I don't need to worry about accidentally initiating a different command (such as switching to the pistol in the middle of a firefight) because my finger was a few millimeters to the right of where it should've been.

@Doom4Ever

I agree with the contentions of other. If you're not picking up a new weapon in the middle of the fight (which you should have a rough idea about), then it's probably the mouse binding and you're inadvertently pressing something you didn't intend to.

It can't be a bug if it happens in all DOOM games.  The chance of that happening I very low.  Review your hardware (the mouse) and your methods of playing.

Now I'm imagining a sentient computer demon that tries to ruin every Doom experience.

Edited by Phoby : Botch

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It is incredibly obvious that you read the thread title and didn't bother to actually read the posts in the thread, @Phoby.

Yeah, kinda botched xD