Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

heXen Upstart Mapping Project (RELEASED!)

Yeah a pretty dick move.Albania isn't in the EU and i still blocked because we are in europe :(

Okie dokie folks, you have 4 weeks to make your maps starting today! 

We have about 15 mappers at the moment, but people are still welcome to join :)

Get mapping!

Just over halfway there - hope everyone is going well!

We've seen some very cool maps in the discord so far, doing some playtesting and demo-sharing as we go.

Hub map is pretty much done, and we have a final arena /boss map in progress too.

Looking forward to putting this project together!

On 9/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, HexenMapper said:

A few screenshots from some of the mostly finished maps...

[Pics]

I'm guessing lighting still needs to be finsihed right? Because it looks very "flat" in those screenshots.

12 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I'm guessing lighting still needs to be finsihed right? Because it looks very "flat" in those screenshots.

Yeah the lighting is still being done in some of these - the hub in particular. I did some lighting today actually :)

We have 9 maps currently in the project and pretty much ready to go. Still waiting on 2 mappers to finish off, they will hopefully be done by this weekend, bringing the total to 11 maps!

Rough release date looking at around the 5th of october.

It will be co-op supported up to 4 players.

42 minutes ago, HexenMapper said:

We have 9 maps currently in the project and pretty much ready to go. Still waiting on 2 mappers to finish off, they will hopefully be done by this weekend, bringing the total to 11 maps!

Rough release date looking at around the 5th of october.

It will be co-op supported up to 4 players.

Nice! Looking forward to it

Well, I still need to add to my map for it to be done... but it's shaping up nicely! Mainly... the cloister area needs progression to cause an earthquake to drop the player down below, where he can navigate underground ruins to get to the Western half of the map.

I'm going to get more done Monday evening as well! Feedback appreciated.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/479107646520164364/496169547620024320/xumpShades.wad

Very cool Shades! I had a play and died a few times :) Left some demos in the discord.

I get the feeling it might suit weapon 3?

ok we have 10 maps finished, and 2 maps mostly done, we're just doing some testing and finishing touches on the last 2 maps and we should be able to release in a few days to a week :)

I've played through a lot of the maps and I found a couple of little things. Currently trying to work out how to open the doors to the Steel key on Map07?

I notice a couple of edges of the black carpet on the map also seem to accidently have the wrong border texture; linedefs 4474, 704, 4366, 4495, 4515, 1742 and 671, all in the same area.

I was able to survive all the presumably fatal drops on Map09 and also the bars didn't lower once I had placed all three gems? As I had killed every monster on the map I noclipped through the bars.

Edited by Vermil

Not sure if i understand but for map07:

The key is outside in the little labyrinth.

Sorry for the confusing wording; I meant I can't figure out how to open the doors to the steel key labyrinth in the first place (the doors with tag 10).

EDIT: Ok, found the switch I stupidly forgot to press, in order to progress on Map07.

Edited by Vermil

We're doing a few edits and will have a 1.2 version out in a day or so.

If anyone gets stuck on Map 10, this video will help you:

Spoiler

EDIT: v1.2 is now in the download link (same link) and OP.

If you want to open up areas of the hub (ie. you've already played the first few maps and want to pick up where you left off), puke the following scripts (by typing 'puke 50', etc. in the console)

Puke 50

Puke 51

Puke 52

Puke 53

Puke 54

These will progressively open new areas of the hub.

Edited by HexenMapper

On 8/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, HexenMapper said:

Okie dokie folks, you have 4 weeks to make your maps starting today! 

We have about 15 mappers at the moment, but people are still welcome to join :)

Get mapping!

Maybe that is the problem , With the exception of map03 that seems somewhat ACCEPTABLE at first glance that is.

Other maps look like meaningless scribble in doom builder, Go back to the source material , Look at the core design of Hexen maps (I am not sure if you are aware, but the level designers for the original game had a degree in history and did research European middle-age architecture.

Now obviously nobody will go to that extend, But let's step down before we try to package into a .wad file as many maps as we can possibly can;

And start with the shapes, start with the basics, with proper layout design, with a connection from one sector to the other that makes some coherent sense.

You may also copy-paste things from the core game TO FURTHER TWEAK (As i have noticed in some instances of the map package) , But its more important to understand why it works the way it does (That goes for  "Things" placement as well, understand why they put monsters/items in the position they did).

- I would suggest going back to drawing board and try to understand the fundamentals of basic layout and level design, I know its extremely vague but i can't put my finger on something and say "This needs to be changed", This whole thing looks like somebody's nightmare. (The first step before you launch the game, you can compare in slade , hexen.wad and xump.wad and say to yourself "This thing got NOTHING TO DO with the source material, its not even on the same playing field. (AKA : Game-wise, beside the repeat of textures/monsters, there is nothing hexen-like from my experience of your wad)

- I wish you luck and hope your future product will improve to a playable level.

Edited by d-Illasera

11 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

did you actually play the wad @d-Illasera? Or just examine it in slade / doom builder?

As mentioned in my original post, i gave it a shot, not long though because it failed to capture my attention, so i was unwilling to dive into it for more than noclipping around areas and getting an overall glimpse.

Glad you enjoyed Gideon020.

XUMP works with Wrath of Chronos and should work with any other gameplay mods as there aren't really and "structural" changes that might break mods.

I admit that some of the maps were a bit hit and miss, but it was interesting to play what is the first HeXen slaughter like map I can recall playing (the final map).