Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phoby

Best/Worst maps in TNT

The two I like the most by far are Pharaoh and Nukage Processing. The worst ones are definitely Baron's Den and Deepest Reaches.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't have a deep-rooted hatred for Metal and Mount Pain.

Or Habitat. I actually like Mt. Pain as a matter of fact.

Deepest Reaches and Baron's Den have their own problems, but at least they're fun, mostly. If only Baron's Den didn't have the red skull hidden so well though, it's not fun spamming Spacebar on one side of the wall because you don't remember where exactly is its room.

As for me, my favorite levels are the ones featured on PSX Doom (+ Dead Zone), and this version of the maps also looks even better, I prefer them over the originals. Hell even Crater look kinda neat thanks to the superior lightning, as that was the main problem of the original from my POV, the gameplay was ok but it was ugly. Everything else is either beyond garbage or just "meh" for me.

I've actually made a topic on this matter after playing it for the first time where I explained what I liked and what I didn't in more depth.

System Control, Redemption, Crater, Nukage Processing, Deepest Reaches, Processing Area, Mill, Shipping/Respawning, Central Processing, Administration Center, Mount Pain, Heck, River Styx, Last Call, Pharaoh & Caribbean.

As for worst? Probably Habitat, however it is incredibly easy to just run straight to the exit so even then it doesn't seem that offensive to me. Baron's Den is also one of the lesser interesting maps for me.

I pretty much just enjoyed playing Evilution but without feeling the need to replay it much thereafter. Few real highlights or lowlights, but the least fun were probably those sprawling disjointed maps that just didn't know when to end. You know which ones you are. :p

The most forgettable were the rather trivial ones where you can just run to the exit without even needing to execute any tricks or encountering much resistance. And they know which ones they are too!

Can't say I remember too many maps from TNT (off the top of my head, so I'll have to consult the Doom wikis), though I haven't played it nearly as many times as the other IWADs. Stand-outs for me are Map 6 for the atmosphere and creepy tone, Map 20 for the exploration, and Map 28 for the aesthetics and overall Casali goodness. Map 29 is pretty cool too (green marble is fun).

Worst maps? Let's see, how much time do you have? :P

Probably Maps 8, 11, 12, 19, 21, 22, and 27

As an overall package, TNT is extremely boring for me. Stronghold, Pharoah, Caribbean, and Heck are the most memorable maps. Mt. Pain and Habitat come to mind for being terrible maps.

Most of E2 was an awesome planet exploration episode. Some are them are a bit slow-paced and contain some questionable choices, but it's atmosphere, texturing, unique mix of styles and the music is still something i fondly remember. Other good ones: "Pharaoh" was a work of (90s) art, all of Jimmy Sieben's levels are fun stuff and Tom Mustaine's explosive opener.

What? Mount Pain is kind of a good map. You need strategic planning and brave movements in order to avoid damage. The hatred for Mount Pain is probably from some Doom "celebrity" thing.

Mount pain sucks because its fucking huge ass brown mazes and tunnels full of shooting stuff right in front of you and waiting for slow lifts. It has nothing to do with celebrities, lol

Yea, Mt. Pain ain't that good. Basically what Caek said. Cool mountain tho. What case do you people have?????

5 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Yea, Mt. Pain ain't that good. Basically what Caek said. Cool mountain tho. What case do you people have?????

Simple: Mount pain has some fun parts in it, habitat has none. That is my entire case LOL.

Oh, are you sure that you get my meaning of "celebrity"?

Some people said Mount Pain sucks, and this map suddenly became sucky. To be honest, how many people actually playthrough the map to see whether the resource is bad or something? Well, the Chasm got the same problem.

I've only played about half of TNT but out of what I have played, I think my favorite is System Control. It's probably my favorite MAP01 of any WAD. I also have a soft spot for Crater because I feel like it has a strong sense of atmosphere and place to it.

As for my least favorite, I don't know. I probably wouldn't like Habitat very much, but I never got that far.

3 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

I also have a soft spot for Crater because I feel like it has a strong sense of atmosphere and place to it.

Oh yeah, for some reason, I really like that map. I can't really tell, but the texture of the so called Crater is sort of ugh...

42 minutes ago, Catpho said:

What case do you people have?????

The starting mayhem of rushing for the SSG while surrounded by former sargeants, the mad dash through the toxic tunnels, the trap-laden hallways that open up after the yellow key grab, the huge open vistas of inaccessible areas seen in that huge ringed area surrounding the YK area (probably one of the earlier examples of those kinds of details to help sell the map's atmosphere and location) and of course the killer soundtrack getting you pumped for every encounter throughout the map. I also like the rocky canyon before the exit even if it is a bit cruel with the slow-moving platforms near an arch-vile if you happen to fall down there. All in all quite an impressive map coming out from just regular Doom/Doom 2.

Mount Pain is way more fun from a pistol start than continuous play. The corridors don't matter much because you are supposed to rush through them. Habitat is nothing but garbage, you can even skip the entire map because of how unfinished it is, fuck trying to 100% that map lol. No one mentioned that stupid worm hole map yet? It forces  you to do the boring garbage twice if you want to do everything, because one time wasn't boring enough! (Hey at least most of the bad maps in TNT can be skipped! Like even the mappers didn't like them enough to bother placing the exit near the end)

Favourite: probably Central Processing (map 20), I always found the final huge area tiresome, but amusing above all, also it impressed me since you once you get to the top of the mounts you can contemplate the sky, or space if we're following the story. Also I like Storage Facility because crates, and Nukage Processing because of the midi. The secret maps too. Oh and Wormhole, do I need to explain why? Basically I have lots of favourite maps from TNT. 

Least favourite: Habitat duh, it's just so plain in every way, well the underground connections aren't that bad as a concept but that's about the only "ok" part. Metal's final room with those lifts is boring. 

Best: Stronghold, Redemption, Mill, and Central Processing.

Worst: Habitat by far, Shipping/Respawning and Baron's Den.

Best: 03, 09 and 28. All have a lot in common: good resource-placement, good enemy placement, great design, interesting layouts and great gameplay.

Worst: pretty much everything else. They're either boring in terms of design (almost the entirety of the third act, consisting of an overabundance of caverns, or tunnels of some kind), boring in terms of gameplay (06, 07, 08, 12, 21, 22 and 25 are good examples), are annoying (waiting for enemies to slowly teleport in, like in 11 and 19), are ugly as sin (a lot of the second half), are broken to the point where you can finish them in mere seconds, with almost no opposition (a sign of bad mapmaking, present in 04 and 22) and... well, a ton of other reasons like crap gameplay and continuity.

The only other maps I'd exclude from the "Worst" category that aren't in the "Best" are levels like 10, 17, 31 and 32. And maaaaaaybe 18.

Edited by Poncho

Not the biggest fan of TNT...and the music for the most part is NOT friendly on the ears. The levels mentioned as good in the OP are as far as I would go, and otherwise everything after the first couple of levels are so unmemorable to me. 

Best: 12

Worst: all three maps that use Into the Beast's Belly

Habitat is a good map if you get rid of the two arch-viles that attack you from beyond fake walls

The only thing I kinda like about Habitat is the last area, but 90% of it is just ugly and poorly designed. I just can't really bring myself to hate it as much as a lot of the other maps just because it's over so fast.