Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enforcer

Hell Knights have eyes

Recommended Posts

Looks like Hell Knights in DOOM Eternal (and DOOM 2016 too I guess) have "regular" skulls and eyes underneath the skin of their faces. Now that's fucked up and also cool.

Hellk2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I am fine with them having eyes since being eyeless seemed to be a feature reserved for Quake monstrosities.

 

Do you think Hell Knights (and normal non fire barons) should bleed green?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I am fine with them having eyes since being eyeless seemed to be a feature reserved for Quake monstrosities.

 

Do you think Hell Knights (and normal non fire barons) should bleed green?

Nah. Let them bleed red. Cacodemons should bleed blue though. I mean I discovered the eyes thing only right now when I was rewatching the Eternal footage in slow motion :D (Yes, I'm that nerdy). I mean that's so cool! I think that adds a lot to his character. Can they actually see through their eyes or they lost their eye sight? If so then why\how? Or they used to see through eyes and now hunt only by smell. .I don't know. But If they could see I think they would remove the skin from their faces.  

Share this post


Link to post

But why would the Cacodemon be acceptable but not the hell knight/baron?  This is what was true to the original game and made the Barons in EP1 seem more otherwordly.  Also the arachnotron seems to bleed Galaxy Slime.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Enforcer said:

Nah. Let them bleed red. Cacodemons should bleed blue though. I mean I discovered the eyes thing only right now when I was rewatching the Eternal footage in slow motion :D (Yes, I'm that nerdy). I mean that's so cool! I think that adds a lot to his character. Can they actually see through their eyes or they lost their eye sight? If so then why\how? Or they used to see through eyes and now hunt only by smell. .I don't know. But If they could see I think they would remove the skin from their faces.  

 

What? I noticed that on my first time watching.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not that huge fan of the eyes on them actually since I liked the 2016 model so much. It reminds me of Event Horizon movie and Dr Weir's famous quote "Where we're going, we don't need eyes to see!" :D

And I've also like to think that they have some metaphysical powers to work their way through physical environments without vision + a superb sense of smell We'll just have to wait and see if they keep this model in the final version or not. :)

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I'm not that huge fan of the eyes on them actually since I liked the 2016 model so much. It reminds me of Event Horizon movie and Dr Weir's famous quote "Where we're going, we don't need eyes to see!" :D

And I've also like to think that they have some metaphysical powers to work their way through physical environments without vision + a superb sense of smell We'll just have to wait and see if they keep this model in the final version or not. :)

Their eyes are covered with skin. Just like in Doom 2016. You can see their eyes ONLY when you deal damage to his head

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, fant0m999 said:

 

What? I noticed that on my first time watching.

No you didn't

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

No you didn't

 

Yes I did. I noticed it on the first glorykill on the Hell Knight because it's easy to see the different skull and how it has holes for the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, fant0m999 said:

 

Yes I did. I noticed it on the first glorykill on the Hell Knight because it's easy to see the different skull and how it has holes for the eyes.

I noticed holes on my first watch also. It's pretty hard to miss. Yellow glowing eyes were hard to spot.

Share this post


Link to post

I hate this change. Now they made the only creepy monster cartoonish as well.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, Zemini said:

This is what was true to the original game and made the Barons in EP1 seem more otherwordly.

 

Since when did the Bruiser Brothers bleed green?  AFAIK every enemy in the original Doom bleeds the same red blood sprites.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Bauul said:

 

Since when did the Bruiser Brothers bleed green?  AFAIK every enemy in the original Doom bleeds the same red blood sprites.

 

Partially due to engine limitations.  It was a desired feature however.

 

Check and Mate!

 

 

Doom_cover.jpg

Deadbaron.gif

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, Tetzlaff said:

I hate this change. Now they made the only creepy monster cartoonish as well.

They still look the same when undamaged as the 2016 versions. It's only when you damage them in the head that their eyes show up.

Share this post


Link to post

I love this change. Bring on those beautiful eyes! 

 

I believe in you Marty.

Share this post


Link to post

I think in the original doom the green blood for the barons was a design choice. The pinkish upper torso with red blood wouldn't be visually striking. So they decided to paint the blood in a complementary color instead and this is why the choose the green colour for blood. Change the colour to red in the two images posted and you will see the colour will not jump to the eye so much.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, Kaos said:

I think in the original doom the green blood for the barons was a design choice. The pinkish upper torso with red blood wouldn't be visually striking. So they decided to paint the blood in a complementary color instead and this is why the choose the green colour for blood. Change the colour to red in the two images posted and you will see the colour will not jump to the eye so much.

 

Same could be said for the pinkies yet they bleed red.  The opposite could be said for the Doom 4 barons who bleed red which imo isn't visually striking.

 

Having the nobles bleed green was deliberate because id wanted to make the bruisers more otherworldly compared to the lower class demons.  I think this was quoted some where ... In the end, it stays true to classic which isn't a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×