Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

What game with map editing support first got you into making maps for games?

10 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

What was it called?

So, I had a quick look if I maybe remember how this editor was called. Turns out, the actual mapping was definitely "MapEdit". I remember it rather clearly now, because it's entirely ANSII based. For editing the actual sprites, I am stumped... I now think it was a separate program, but when I google for something I can't find much, except a windows version of a sprite editor. But I think it was definitely in DOS.

There's "ChaosEdit" though, which seems to be able to edit Maps as well as Sprites for Wolf3D. Both ChaosEdit and MapEdit can be found here: http://www.wolfenvault.com/utilities.html

For the first time (in 2014) I tried to create a map for Serious Sam TFE, but later I switched to Doom and start learning Doom Builder 2.

To be precise, the first experience of creating map I had in the programs The Games Factory and The PIE 3D Game Creation System, taken from the CD to the book "Creating computer games without programming." It was a long time ago (really, very long ago) when I was still in middle school. I remember drawing Wolfenstein-like labyrinths in PIE 3D GCS, but I spend most of my time in TGF, creating clones of Battle City or Galaxian, or something of my own. Usually in the morning I sat down for my "powerful" PC with 3 GB HDD and 16 MB RAM, with a huge excitement to make a "masterpiece". By the evening next "masterpiece" flew into the abyss... You can not even imagine, with what pleasure I would now play all those mini-games on TGF, but nothing was saved ...

I remember one game where I managed to realize the "destructibility". There was a small tank that could punch its way through the rocks. This experiment was successful and I did not delete it for long ... I was very proud of it ... :3

Edited by StormCatcher.77

I use to use the PIE 3D Game Creation System, never did too much with it as I had better results with Doom editing; still there were a few interesting games made from it, like Pencil Whipped.

Vanilla Duke 3D, once the editor actually worked on the computer I used at the time. I later found the Eduke source port and used the editor that came with that instead. Nothing fancy of course, simplistic stuff with stupid shit as I found things you could do, a bit like what 94 WADs were to Doom. Stuff like giant pig cops with red armour because you could resize sprites and palette swapping was built in and applicable per-sprite. Interesting side note, the mini-battlelords in Duke were literally just regular battlelords with a specific palette value. You can do this with the other bosses, but they only have 1hp, lol.

I probably toyed with Duke mapping for about a year before moving on to Doom.

12 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Jetpack, an old DOS platformer that included a level editor. I spent more time making levels than I did actually playing the game.

I think either Red Alert or Warcraft 2. I always played with a map editor in some form every couple years.

The most popular editors for me were Warcraft 3, hammer for Half Life and GZdoom. I would like to get into more Snapmap but it needs more freedom.

I mean strictly speaking I probably played with Lode Runner: The Legend Return's editor before I touched a doom editor, but Doom was the first game I seriously made any maps for.

Ah yes, how can I forget Jetpack...It got just as much out of me as Duke and Doom did. I need to keep messing around with Jetpack 2, now that it's finally out.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:01 PM, Eris Falling said:

Vanilla Duke 3D, once the editor actually worked on the computer I used at the time. I later found the Eduke source port and used the editor that came with that instead. Nothing fancy of course, simplistic stuff with stupid shit as I found things you could do, a bit like what 94 WADs were to Doom. Stuff like giant pig cops with red armour because you could resize sprites and palette swapping was built in and applicable per-sprite. Interesting side note, the mini-battlelords in Duke were literally just regular battlelords with a specific palette value. You can do this with the other bosses, but they only have 1hp, lol.

I probably toyed with Duke mapping for about a year before moving on to Doom.

Man, I could NEVER figure out how to do palette swaps and stuff...then I downloaded a level with a lot of them, emailed the guy about it... and then I finally learned!

On a related note, even though it's kind of a "blank slate" game in general..but Megazeux (and to a lesser extent, ZZT) got quite a bit of mileage out of me...

Warcraft 2 is the first I've seen. Advance War is probably the first I've bothered tinkering with. Age Of Wonders 2 editor is what I used the most. 

I tried to make a Quake 3 map once. That didn't go well. 

I also tried making a doom 2 map. I'm not a mapper

My first mapping tries were in wesnoth map editor. It's easy to use, so my child mind could place castles, forests and other medieval looking stuff easily. I discovered doom mapping when I was 16 years old and I'm mapping until now. 

I started with Worldcraft years ago and was only able to make a box with some random entities in it, I remember having lot of troubles figuring out how to fix map leaks, Doombuilder 2 and later GZDB were what really got me into mapping, years later I went back to Hammer Editor and now I've a somewhat better understanding of the idea of mapping, DB2 kinda helped me develop my mapping habits and they surprisingly translate well to Hammer Editor (minus the limitations of course), today I just can't get back to Doom mapping, whenever I try to I feel like something's missing, Free Z Position and Rotation control over entities, easily merging multiple brushes into a single entity, I can no longer live without them.

Warcraft II. Then Starcraft, which has quite sophisticated scripting capabilities. Then Warcraft III. Then for a short time I tried making Quake 1 levels, but didn't get far. Years later I discovered Doom editing.