Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

What does your Doom folder contain???

One folder that houses all my unfinished / to-play wads, with subfolders for completed wads, programs, my own maps, and categories of mods. Also it has the perfect number of items right now.

2018-08-15 12_49_38-Window.png

I have a relatively small doom folder, it used to be bigger but early this year i upgraded for an ssd hard drive and i started over again save for some folders for some projects. My IWADS and source ports are stored in a folder called zdoom, yeah it's odd, but it's an old habit of mine
0JuqrE2.png
And inside, there's my wads folder
RowPMFu.png

This more or less is a summary of how I organize things: 

Doom >

- Compressed Files >

- All the zipped files together, minus source ports which are in another directory.

- My Stuff >

- Several folders with stuff for personal use like status bars and midis for music-less wads.

- Ports >

- Each source port in each folder, configured the way I like it, so then they're copied to the wad's folder. 

- Status Bars >

- Thanks to Memfis thread about best status bar, I now take pictures and save them in this folder (:

- Wads >

- Doom >

- All mapsets of two or more maps, in each folder and the corresponding source port.

- Heretic >

- Duh

- Hexen

- Strife

- Single maps >

- Whatever single map I want to play at the moment or someday goes here, once again in separate folders.

We could say I'm very organized, or a waster of space in my hard disk (;

GZDoom > GZWads > GZDoom 2017/GZDoom 2018/Psychophobia/Square/Total Chaos/Weapon Mods

In case of GZDoom 2017: Solace Dreams

In case of GZDoom 2018: DPWH > More Mods > ZDL

More Mods: Bloodline > Guncaster (3.1) > GZDoom (GS - Golden Souls and More) > GZDoom (SM - Silent Mound) > Hideous Destructor > Legacy BE 2.1 > Optional Addons for BE > ww-terror-master

And let's see... their size is very big.

GZDoom is 19.8 GB

GZWads is 17.4 GB

GZDoom 2017 is 928 MB

GZDoom 2018 is 11.5 GB

More Mods is 4.26 GB

[This is how THEY ARE ORGANIZED, what they have inside is... well, hundreds and hundreds of mods]

On 8/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, cambreaKer said:

A lot of doom.

Hide contents

1641759236_DOOMFOLDER.png.1e1a5aab56e00ebdd28569648c98230d.png

>tf2 hax free download

I dunno what counts as a Doom folder but i do download 4839u34905r43094938q4694875q39045790587190457930587058724 mods every single day that i never play.

11 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

>tf2 hax free download

I dunno what counts as a Doom folder but i do download 4839u34905r43094938q4694875q39045790587190457930587058724 mods every single day that i never play.

Yeah, me too. Time to delete my MAPS folder. 

On 8/23/2018 at 9:22 PM, MTF Sergeant said:

Yeah, me too. Time to delete my MAPS folder. 

no

YO HAVE TO DO IT FOR PROSTATES

(prosterity)

Edited by elarmadillo3

I can say now I have 11.6 GB in Doom folder with subfolders.
For many years material grown up to this size.

-main IWADs, include Action Doom 2 and FreeDoom.
-a ton of pwads also pk3's and DEH's. Sound and music wads are here too.
-different text files such as manuals, tricks and FAQ's. Even archived webpages from old doom-related sites which dead by now. Also I keep my ideas here.
-Prefabs folder. Mainly parts to help creating a levels.
-Resources such as custom textures, sprites and models.
-Folder with source ports. All modern source ports here, even Chocorenderlimits and Autodoom.
-WIP folder - there is my incompleted stuff. I split map files from resource files.
-apps folder which contains many Doom programs such as GZDoomBuilder, ZDL, WadSpy, Oblige, WAD2PDF,  and many others.
-many .lmp demos, I like to watching them when I have a snack. Prboom-Plus is best in that kind.

Also I make a backups on external HDD periodically, just in case. 

selfexpl.png.51a3b4286c843ebc9fd98925322c7db7.png

My whole Doom folder.

*demos - most of my demos are kept there
*DOOM/II/HERETIC/HEXEN/ZDaemon - self explanatory

*download_temp is the folder where I download Doom .zips

*misc is statistics stuff

*MyWADs - my projects and maps I've made for various projects

*resursi (resources) are MIDIs, textures, skies.
*utils are Slade, XWE, DEU, and various other utilities.

The game folders themselves are organized like /idgames - 0-9, A-C, D-F, G-I, J-L, M-O, P-R, S-U, V-Z, episodes/megawads (depending on the game), occasionally deathmatch.

So I'd say my Doom folder is very nicely organized.

U4n6D5K.jpg

From the top:

~ The newest Gzdoom configured to be as oldshool as possible (software, graphics, controls, etc) with a BOOM (strict) compatibility.

~ The newest Gzdoom configured for Gzdoom specific maps that have modern features such as jumping, crouching, mouselook, etc. Default compatibility.

~ Udoom, Plutonia, TNT.

~ Just like the first folder but PrBoom+ instead of Gzdoom.

~ Single maps.

~ Mapsets.

~ Megawads.

~ Ultra oldschool setup for uber nostalgia featuring keyboard controls and PC Speaker sounds.

I keep each WAD in a separate folder. I like my files to be neatly arranged and the mess that some people have makes my head hurt just by looking at it.

Well, in terms of WADs, all I have right now is Brutal Doom V21 Release Canditate. In terms of source ports I've got Chocolate Doom, PR Boom+, and GZDoom.

I have my source ports in separate folders while I have one main folder for mods. It's called "id Tech 1 Maps and Mods" because I plan to put a little Heretic and Hexen in there too. The folder is currently 5.60 GB with 613 files, including .TXT, .BAT and .BAK.

I would show my folder, but it's pretty much just HDoom, The Sky May Be, and Grezzo 2.

my layout is pretty dumb, but here goes

doom/choco: hey you probably can't guess what lies in here

doom/dev: stuff being worked on, stuff being tested. full of a million little test wads

doom/dev/res: resources for all sorts of crap. in subfolders as needed

doom/doom64: doom 64 stuff, includes rom and doom 64 ex

doom/eternity: this one's pretty tricky, you probably won't find out

doom/freedoom: loose assets from freedoom for reasons, including some historic versions for testing pruposes

doom/gzd: a complete mystery. contains 2.1.1 and the latest devbuild also.

doom/iwads: you know what sucks? having twenty DOOM2.WAD files on your drive. heh.

doom/historic: contains historic doom things. has the doom alphas, romero's dev dumps, scanned assets, old editors, and the like

doom/prboom: i tried looking in there and i couldn't figure it out

doom/src: reference source code mostly. linuxdoom source, heretic, hexen sources, jaguar doom sources, and the like. When I work with the GZD source it's usually elsewhere with other active deve projects

doom/stupid: where i haul stupid jokewads and really dumb things i've made

doom/vanilla: holds the vanilla doom distributions, as well as heretic/hexen/strife.

doom/wads: The heart of this all. All projects are cordoned off into their own directories with wads, text file, and any other included assets for reference. Works out fairly conveniently. All needed documentation can be inferred from text files when complevels are needed and the like

doom/zdoom: contains the last stable release of zdoom, if needed.

I pretty much never run anything directly, instead good old qzdl is used to launch everything except for vanilla. This makes managing iwads easy (don't need to mess around with DOOMWADDIR), and it makes running things across directories easy.

My general Doom folder consist of:
doom/IWADS

doom/PWADS

doom/My_Wads

The first and last just being individual wad files and a few folders. The PWAD folder is separated into the following categories:

Gameplay

Joke Wads

Mapsets

Megawads

Singlemaps

Total Conversions

The mapset, megawads, and singlemaps folders are then divided up into two folders one being Doom and the other Doom 2. Did that so I could easily tell which IWAD is necessary. I also have general folders for series which contain the individual files.I have a standalone folder within my Total Conversion folder so I know which mod can be run by itself.

I always use ZDL to play Doom so having a file system where there is not a lot of jumping back and forth makes life easier.