Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkShroom

can i inherit from brutal doom using decorate

Question

Hi

I wanted to make a some maps designed for brutal doom, when i use decorate with this to inherit from say an existing bad guy it seems to inherit from a normal doom bad guy not a brutal doom one?

Is it possible to do this? From what i'd read in the wiki it implies that decorates can all inherit from each other so adding a flag in one mod would stay when another mod then changed some different ones.

I have copied this the plasma zombie example here:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_inheritance

thanks, Rich

edit: i also done the clone example incase it was the weapon behaviour, this reset the zombie guy

Edited by DarkShroom

4 answers to this question

Inheriting from the standard bad guys is very easy, but with Brutal Doom it's a lot more complicated.  The Brutal Doom bad guys have different names in DECORATE (which is why inheriting from the zombie inherits from the standard one not the Brutal Doom one).  Also the Brutal Doom ones have various death states.  So the answer is yes, but with difficulty.

9 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Inheriting from the standard bad guys is very easy, but with Brutal Doom it's a lot more complicated.  The Brutal Doom bad guys have different names in DECORATE (which is why inheriting from the zombie inherits from the standard one not the Brutal Doom one).  Also the Brutal Doom ones have various death states.  So the answer is yes, but with difficulty.

I wouldn't say that. It's no more difficult than inheriting from normal actors.

If you'd normally do

ACTOR NewZombie : Zombieman REPLACES Zombieman

You'd just do

ACTOR NewZombie2 : NewZombie REPLACES NewZombie

instead. I've done this before and it works fine. It's how I did my own Hell on Earth Starter Pack Vanilla Improver WAD.

thanks very much for your answers, so if i want to play with it i have to route through them decorates to find the new names then, and then expect complications like you describe

(i assume you're implying the different death states actually spawn a new actor or something... like an armless pinkie or the surviving zombie guys shooting from the floor)

anyway i didn't expect anyone to be able to do it for me, this was to get a heads up before deciding to delve into the code, so thanks very much forum (no flames :) )

hi i have since played with this and just wanted to try and get some more info

the replacement name for "ZombieMan" was "Zombie_Man"!!!.... most the others seem to so far adopt the far nicer convention:
ShotgunGuy => ShotgunGuy1

So this worked in PB and brutalv20b.... however in bd21testRC1 the name is "RifleZombie"

so of course, i assume you just have to deal with that

QUESTION: how does brutal/brutality decide the weapons to give you? i can't seem to place anything other than the first weapon type and i don't think it'll be a good idea using decorate like this