Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiFi270

If Doomguy made it into Smash, could Ranger work as an Echo Fighter?

I think yes if the moveset was something like this:

Spoiler

Standard Special: Chaingun (Doomguy)/Nailgun (Ranger): Tap for a quick burst of bullets/nails, or hold to spam at the cost of accuracy. Nails are slower but more damaging.

Side Special: Rocket Launcher: Packs considerably more punch than Samus or Snake's side specials, but is also just as dangerous to the person who fired it. Ranger's travel faster, and if he's caught in the explosion he won't take quite as much damage but he'll receive a disproportionate amount of knockback, which may help if you need to make a horizontal recovery.

Up Special: Teleport (Doomguy)/Dire Orb (Ranger): Doomguy's is your average aim-and-teleport like Mewtwo and others have, but he can cause a lot of damage and knockback if the destination happens to be where someone's already standing, though this requires as much precision as Jigglypuff's down special, and the uncertainty of teleportation makes it harder still. Ranger throws an orb that indicates his teleport destination and can be controlled like PK Thunder, and while it gives him a better idea of where to land, it also gives opponents something to avoid.

Down Special: Super Shotgun: Two barrels of buckshot, causing a lot of damage up close but very little knockback. After using it, you're completely helpless while taking a few seconds to reload. Ranger's is a lot weaker, but he does some kind of magic hammerspace reload that still takes some time but not nearly as much.

Final Smash: BFG: okay the bfg is already pretty complicated in the base game so it'd probably be even harder (but still far from impossible) to find a way to translate it for smash. Ranger uses the version from Quake II, even though he wasn't in that game.

I don't know how many smash players you'll get here... but it amused me at least.

Personally, I'd go with a Doomslayer version, because it lends itself more to the melee option. His unique thing could be firing projectiles whilst on the move, and naturally would have to dash as fast as Captain Falcon. However, like Robin, he would have an ammo counter (a ghostly version of the classic Grin face would appear when a weapons off cooldown). Actually, put the classic face on the HUD, with the bleeding intensifying as his percentage increases. (Fully Bloody after 150%)

Smash attacks use the Shotgun and SSG.

• Neutral B: Heavy Assault Rifle. It is the workhorse of the arsenal most of the time. Fires 20 shots at 0.5%.
  • Up B: Jet-Boots/Double Jump (optional: SSG grappling Hook from Doom Eternal which discharges at the end if you grapple an enemy).
  • Side B: Rocket Launcher. 11%, slow initially but speeds up like Snakes Rockets (?). Random (small) chance of a Triple Fire/Homing. Cancel it into an Up-B with precise timing to Rocket Jump. Has 3-5 shots.
  • Down B: Chainsaw Drop Attack 14% that Meteor Spikes and makes Doomguy hover briefly, and if it KO's throws out a pinyata of food pickups. One shot.
  • Final Smash: The New BFG is easier mechanically, Doomguy leaps off the side of the stage, and fires the green ball of doom. It lashes enemies as it passes by as it does in D2016 with 16% tendrils that give maximum launch. If it hits something it explodes for 33% and launches.

Doomguy/Doomslayer would be a terrible fit for Smash Bros, not helped by the fact that first-person shooters aren't a well-liked video game genre in Japan. Not every iconic video game character needs to be in Smash Bros. 

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Doomguy/Doomslayer would be a terrible fit for Smash Bros, not helped by the fact that first-person shooters aren't a well-liked video game genre in Japan. Not every iconic video game character needs to be in Smash Bros. 

Does everyone need to be in? No, but hey, whilst its indeed unlikely as hell (lol), and he would have to be a relatively family friendly version, if you can fit Snake in there, why not Doomslayer?

Heck, fans have moaned about Ridley and Simon Belmont for years, and eventually they were added to Ultimate's lineup recently. Doom 2016 is out on Switch. Basically, its only licensing and Doomguys relative unpopularity in the East that are real barriers. If it were to happen, it would bring another popularity surge in the same way Smash ignited the west's interest in Fire Emblem.

Snake works fine as a family-friendly version, but Doomslayer just doesn't. I think at this point the only two characters that Smash Bros really needs to include are Ryu Hayabusa and Geno. Commander Keen I could see working, but his appeal wouldn't connect with the majority of people that play Smash Bros. 

I assume a revenant would work better.

It would be definitely be crazier than Bayonetta and Snake who were already weird choices. I don't think it would work artistically, but I would think it would be amazing even if just for the novelty. Also, jab/tilts can be fist and smash attacks can be berserk.

I was going to say that Doomguy wouldn't fit in with the rest of the crew at all, but since Brawl there have been loads of character choices that seemed weird/unfitting/balance destroying/goddamn game ruining (salt levels rising) so I guess I retract my initial thought. Put him in there with Ranger as an echo fighter, why the hell not at this point?

On 8/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, Ajora said:

Lack of regional popularity isn't that much of a hindrance as you'd like to think. Punch-Out isn't that well-known in Japan either, but that didn't prevent Little Mac from getting into the roster. And I'm also fairly sure no American/European knew what a 'Fire Emblem' was before Marth/Roy's debut in Melee.

Ranger has everything Doomguy has -at least the original one- and some more beside the BFG. If anything Doomguy would be an echo for a ranger that can rocket jump.

Edit : Fixed Quake guy into Ranger..