Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BChricton78

Sooo... Nostalgia Critic's "review" of the Doom movie.

A few months back I watch his AVP review for the first time after not viewing his videos for almost a year... by the end of it i realized why I unsubed from his channel.

3 hours ago, Catpho said:

Sorry... I meant DOOM movie. Which is also called DOOM. Much in the same way DOOM 4 is called DOOM. DOOM Eternal should have been called DOOM.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Probably a nice guy--hell, I'm sure dinner and a drink with him would be fine--but his shtick got old very quickly.

Nope. He is who he portrays. I'm sure he likes to say it's "just a character," but nope.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:39 PM, geo said:

Nope. He is who he portrays. I'm sure he likes to say it's "just a character," but nope.

Yes. It seems like all those years of being the Critic had taken a toll on his mental health... Nowadays, he's insane, very insane. And not in a good way.

Edited by BChricton78

On 8/17/2018 at 10:09 PM, BChricton78 said:

Here are a few questions for the people reading this thread:

What do you think is the worst part of his review?

If you've seen any of the Devil Critic's videos, what do you think is the worst?

And, on an unrelated note, what way should I play Doom 3 (The game which the movie is based) on modern systems, nowadays? BFG Edition or Dhewm3?

38 minutes ago, BChricton78 said:

And, on an unrelated note, what way should I play Doom 3 (The game which the movie is based) on modern systems, nowadays? BFG Edition or Dhewm3?

I'd prefer the BFG Edition because it feels more fleshed out with a little bit more of an action feel, with the motion blur, flashlight attached to the weapon and stuff.

However, if you need to play with mods, the classic D3 is required (As only a few mods work with BFG Edition).

4 hours ago, BChricton78 said:

what way should I play Doom 3

I play the original using the Doom 3 Redux mod. The shotgun sounds more powerful.

Umm... What about the Other questions I asked (What's the worst bit of this flaming pile and What do you think is the WORST video Doug made)?

3 hours ago, BChricton78 said:

Umm... What about the Other questions I asked (What's the worst bit of this flaming pile and What do you think is the WORST video Doug made)?

I don't see any point in pressing for further discussion regarding the things we don't like about Doug Walker. We all seem to be in unanimous agreement that he's either a) past his prime, or b) wasn't very good to begin with. Why not just leave it at that instead of encouraging people to spend their time looking for negative things to complain about.

8 hours ago, Ajora said:

I don't see any point in pressing for further discussion regarding the things we don't like about Doug Walker. We all seem to be in unanimous agreement that he's either a) past his prime, or b) wasn't very good to begin with. Why not just leave it at that instead of encouraging people to spend their time looking for negative things to complain about.

After some pondering, I’ve come to the conclusion that Doug Walker was never quite as great as his contemporaries (Spoony, Linkara, Cinema Snob), and the question as to where exactly he peaked is debatable (many point to his reboot days, but I disagree there). Additionally, most of the jokes aren’t even Doug’s, they’re actually Rob Walker’s jokes!

(It doesn’t help that Rob is arguably a worse person than Doug.)

This is coming from someone who actually enjoyed the post-reboot NC (up until #ChangeTheChannel). 

Even post-reboot, I saw reviews that were based not only to tackle the material in question, but also to attempt taking on the zeitgeist of a societal issue (be it the rise of “meninists” in the Fury Road review or using a fictional character to cover up one’s jackassery in the Green Lantern review). 

However, I’ve noticed that even in the pre-reboot days, I’ve noticed that instead of critiquing the movie (some of the time), Doug instead makes fun of the cast and crew involved with the production of the movie, as well as build up strawmen to take down as a sort of “central bad guy” (remember his “version” of M. Night Shymalan?). It doesn’t help that he tends to become fixated to one particular gag in particular that he runs into the ground over and over again (in this example of the Doom movie review, he constantly pokes fun at Rosamund Pike’s acting; I personally thought she did ok). 

I’ve said my peace with what I have to say about this whole debacle, now no more. 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:31 AM, BChricton78 said:

What do you think is the worst part of his review?

At this point I'll probably have to go with this very thread I'm just now posting in.

A critic gets the facts wrong. It happens, but I don't see a reason to raise my bloodpressure here. Had he called Hellbound a slaughterWAD, then maybe, just maybe I would have been mildy concerned.

Movie too dark to see stuff properly at times? Not wrong, and it doesn't matter what game the movie is based on. If it's too dark, then it's too dark.

Actionless? Of course it has barely any action going on, even for Doom 3 standards it's sparse, and let's not pretend ultimate doom is the absolute pinnacle of fast paced murderfests either. Don't matter what game he's referencing here, there isn't much action going on, and when it is, then it's pretty low-key as well.

Namely, He ignores critical, plot relevant scenes

That movie had a plot? :P

the film's redeeming qualities

Look, I'm not saying absolutely everything about that movie is bad, but if those qualities were actually redeeming, then the movie wouldn't suck even though it is far away from the canon presented in the games.

20 hours ago, Ajora said:

AGREED. Doug's going to Hell, or the Dimension of the Doomed (Really, who cares?) for his crimes against entertainment.

I didn't care much for the review itself given a few factually incorrect bits, willful ignorance of plot points, and some bad jokes...but I can't say I disliked it enough to make a raging hate boner thread about Doug himself. It's a scripted comedy series that occasionally makes good points, but with over a hundred episodes under his team's belt, not everything is gonna be a hit. 

It's not like the movie was that great to begin with, and as such, past a few things here and there this isn't really a movie worth defending to the bone. This whole thread seems pointlessly mean and childish. Mind you, this is coming from someone who didn't hate the film, either. 

12 hours ago, BChricton78 said:

AGREED. Doug's going to Hell, or the Dimension of the Doomed (Really, who cares?) for his crimes against entertainment.

Hahaaa oh geez, what? 

5 hours ago, Clonehunter said:

Hahaaa oh geez, what? 

Well, if he wasn't a madman who, in real life, gave hard working conditions, made stupid decisions for his company, makes strawmen in his videos and once tried to hide a sexual predator, This hate wouldn't be happening to him.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:55 AM, GoatLord said:

Doug is a terrible performer and has no sense of comedic timing. Never concise, tight or witty, just obnoxious and loud. Probably a nice guy--hell, I'm sure dinner and a drink with him would be fine--but his shtick got old very quickly.

AVGN>Nostalgia Critic