Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
G01000011

Terra Firma [My first DooM mod].

Posted (edited)

The screenshots look nice.

Was this meant to be just a status update? Because there wasn't anything to download.

Hi Pegleg, 

Sorry it's just a small status update to introduce my attempt. Thanks for your message. I'm trying to keep at it and release something. 

Realising I'm needing to remember how to use Doom Builder as good as before. This may be a while.

43 minutes ago, G01000011 said:

Realising I'm needing to remember how to use Doom Builder as good as before. This may be a while.

Following this one. Love the looks.

Thanks Dear Hoplite. I realise it won't be a while now until I update so sorry about that. Remembered how ambitious I was when I started to make the only unfinished level I've tried here. Started to get the hang of using the Doom pallete in GIMP so thats something. I'm pretty much starting from scratch while I learn.

Posted (edited)

Roughly got my first weapon skin done. The Rocket launcher. Was an interesting process.

Screenshot_Doom_20180824_215548.png.52c1fd1fedd4008a818f40790fc0d8e7.png

Edited by G01000011

Thanks Nevander. Still trying to get graphics looking like they could be part of things.

Looks very promising! Can't believe it's your first foray into mapping?!

Posted (edited)

Thanks elend. I need to learn how to pace and structure action with enemies as I don't have any on here yet. As I haven't done this before I am having to think more about how to lay out the path of the level.

Just another screenshot and then I'll be off for a while. Trying to get a rough Chaingun sorted, took some tweaking. These are less work at the moment as there's no hands involved etc.Screenshot_Doom_20180825_220017.png.aed17b7d09a1f3885743d8900bf503d7.png

On 8/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, G01000011 said:

Just another screenshot and then I'll be off for a while. Trying to get a rough Chaingun sorted, took some tweaking. These are less work at the moment as there's no hands involved etc.Screenshot_Doom_20180825_220017.png.aed17b7d09a1f3885743d8900bf503d7.png

Really excited to play this.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Medenutcracka. Not sure how it's going to turn out.

Edited by G01000011

Did you buy movie props to photograph them and put them in your mod? Quite some effort for your first map. Keep it up, I am really interested to play this thing.

I have only just realised the difference and flexibility of using GZDoom Builder. I'm using Doom Builder 2. Now I'm not sure if I should revise what I've done already with dynamic lights or carry on with sector based lighting style and fixed floor/ceiling textures that I thought weren't movable. I've been working around that constraint so there might be a break in continuity.

Edited by G01000011

ZDOOM:

Screenshot_Doom_20180910_165514.png.f4fe7291425944d2ea750b0a38cb5fa7.png

GZDOOM:

Screenshot_Doom_20180910_165256.png.88f9aeb4097b851fd506c468501d231f.png

I think I'll stick to the texture restrictions of Doom Builder 2 and then possibly add lighting later with GZDoom Builder for a compromise between old and new methods.

I was kind of just browsing around through here, then I noticed that this particular project has some very unique things going for (namely, all-new graphics that manage to feel fresh and old-school/Doom-like at the same time).

I'll be looking at this one with great interest, although I must ask, how do you digitize the weapon sprites?

Hi Man of Doom, I'm trying to use the original methods. Takes a few tries though. Thanks for looking. 

Edited by G01000011

Whatever you do, just keep it up! Still looks great. Personally, I'd use sector based lighting and a little dynamic light for added effect.

Sprite making is an interesting thing. What you can use to make them is obscured by the low resolution.tree2.png.348a7d04b10d45d05828e34a2f6b1fdf.png

Great seeing progress on this. It still looks quite nice and I can't believe it's your first map. Makes me jealous, dammit.. T_T