Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithfishbiscuit

License for Slade 3 and Doom Builder 2 and GZ doom

Hi, can I use the software in the title to make commercial game?? I know DB2 and GZD are under GNU, but does that mean they can be used for commercial work?? and what about Slade 3, I can't find any license information on it. Hope some one can help.

Cheers!!

Keith

What do you mean by "make commercial works"? If it's creating assets (such as levels), then the license of the program doesn't really matter. The license matters for when you redistribute the program itself and/or its code, which may be relevant in this case for GZDoom but probably won't be for DB2 or SLADE3 (unless you want to bundle them with your game, why not.)

Anyway they're all GPL, and that's something you can find out by looking at the source code.

I asked about this in the past and as far as I know it's possible assuming you use a certain version of Gzdoom as Gez pointed out. What I'm not sure about though is the legality of making the game in such a way as to insure it works more easily with custom content for other Doom engine games. Since they are the same engine obviously nothing is stopping anybody from loading the wads but without designing the game in the right way it's not like you could just load a Doom mod for your own doom engine game and except everything to work correctly. And making it a selling point might also anger somebody since you would be profiting of custom content might for their games rather than your own. FreeDoom hasn't had any problems but it's a free game anyway so perhaps it's merely because they don't care.

I am a 3d artist, so I am planning to make custom assets for my doom game and not using a single asset from the original doom or other people works. But I am no programmer or coder, so there are still a lot to learn before I can start whipping out games...

edit: almost forgot to say thank you for answering my question!!

Edited by keithfishbiscuit : forgot

18 minutes ago, keithfishbiscuit said:

I am a 3d artist, so I am planning to make custom assets for my doom game and not using a single asset from the original doom or other people works.

Sure, I was merely pointing out that the legality of trying to make your game work with all other Doom (Or Heretic, or Hexen etc) mods mods is fishy even if you don't include any graphical content from their games. Even something as simple as a script inside the game files saying "change zombieman to "insert your own games enemy" might be illegal since you would be referencing content from somebody else's game.

35 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Sure, I was merely pointing out that the legality of trying to make your game work with all other Doom (Or Heretic, or Hexen etc) mods mods is fishy even if you don't include any graphical content from their games. Even something as simple as a script inside the game files saying "change zombieman to "insert your own games enemy" might be illegal since you would be referencing content from somebody else's game.

Yea, but I thought the guys at GZ doom changed everything that would infringe copyright from their latest build. Dunno, I have read that someone asked similar question on GZ doom, and the reply was that it can be used for commercial work, not sure myself though.

Yeah you can use GZDoom for a commercial work, that's the point of the GPL.

Just do not distribute the zd_extra.pk3 file commercially; it's what contains some non-free data needed to support the original games -- and you won't need that for your own game anyway so it's safe to remove.

don't mean to be annoying, just want to make it almost 100% sure, so Doom Builder 2 and Slade 3 are also usable for commercial game since they are both GPL?? sorry just need to be sure.