Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Watchmen HBO series announced

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-orders-watchmen-tv-series/

Cliche thing to say, but I've always regarded Watchmen as one of the greatest graphic novels ever written. The lukewarm response to the movie has always baffled me. It's not on the same level as the graphic novel, but I really don't see how any adaptation could possibly approach the source material. I'm usually pretty meh on Zack Snyder's movies, but I think he did a fantastic job with Watchmen. I'm pretty hyped to see what becomes of this. 

Could be pretty good!

I saw the movie before reading the graphic novel, and I totally get why people were so lukewarm about it.  The novel has a real sense of urban decay about it, all washed out brown colors, faded text and scrawled art-style.  It gives off a vibe of a society bleached of anything wholesome and human.

The movie was all rain-slicked shadows and night-time gothicness, with slow-mo fight scenes and a kind of "coolness" which is completely alien to the tone of the novel.  It's not an invalid theme to go for (it worked great in the Matrix or Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy for example), but was completely different to the theme of the original.

Edit: Oh wow I'm out of the loop.  Turns out they've been publicly working on this since June last year.

Yeah, I heard about this last year and was pretty stoked about it. I enjoyed the novel and the movie both, though the movie reeked of Snyder's slow-motion fetish often. I'm interested to see how they do this. It'd be great though if they made a series based on the Before Watchmen novels, it'd be great to see each character's story before the events of Watchmen.

I'm really looking forward to the series as well, Snyder's movie was amazing.

Although this isn't really "new" . HBO wanted a series for a while now and the work began a few months ago if memory doesn't fail me. I wonder what's the plot going to be about since it's supposedly something atypical to all the recent superhero movies and TV shows based on what I've read in a few interviews.

Edited by Agent6

Oh great, another needless continuation of Watchmen's story! I am...so...excited...?

15 hours ago, Ajora said:

The lukewarm response to the movie has always baffled me. It's not on the same level as the graphic novel, but I really don't see how any adaptation could possibly approach the source material. I'm usually pretty meh on Zack Snyder's movies, but I think he did a fantastic job with Watchmen.

Snyder is the type of guy who looked at Rorschach and thought "wow that dude is totally badass" despite the entire point of Rorschach being the opposite. It's a great movie, but Snyder really missed the point in some places. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Snyder is the type of guy who looked at Rorschach and thought "wow that dude is totally badass" despite the entire point of Rorschach being the opposite. It's a great movie, but Snyder really missed the point in some places. 

255.gif

Rorschach was epic in the movie :3 .