Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LouigiVerona

The Lurid Anomaly [Oblige map]

Ever since I laid my hands on that excellent piece of software, Oblige, my Doom experience has changed dramatically. This became the best Doom I've ever played.

What makes it work for me? It's both the novelty, the understanding that nobody designed a given level in any direct way, and, honestly, the great prefabs out of which Oblige levels are built. I am still mesmerized by the "shape grammar" that the authors of Oblige came up with, the levels are fluid and intricate in the best sense possible.

I would like to share with you one of the most epic maps I've played in my life, "The Lurid Anomaly". It is a huge, fascinating level that features all sorts of zones, a boss fight and incredible architecture.

Modifications

The level is slightly modified. It did not have a pistol start, although most of the weapons lying around where there to begin with. I added the plasma gun and the BFG to the player immediately, since I found the pistol start here to be a little too challenging. I have also turned 4-5 enemies around, so that when you just start, you have a chance to collect the weapons and the ammo relatively uninterrupted. The original Oblige level had a number of Revenants and Hell Knights facing the opening area, making it very challenging to even collect the weapons. But those were the only changes.

Gameplay Settings

The level's generated name is "Lurid Anomaly". It is a Doom 2 map. I have played it through PrBoom default compatibility setting and "Hurt Me Plenty" difficulty setting.

The bug

At some point in time the level has a strange bug, an anomaly (maybe it explains the name of the map? :) ). I looked at it with the Doom Builder 2 editor, but I don't understand how to fix the issue. It seems okay, but maybe there is a limitation which should be tackled by a limit removing Doom 2 version. Would be good to fix it for Vanilla Doom 2 as well.

ENJOY!

lurid_anomaly.wad.zip

doom07.png

doom11.png

doom16.png

Decided to bump this one up, since the day I posted this it was instantly hidden from view by other posts. Just wondering whether anyone gave this Oblige map a try!

On 8/18/2018 at 9:42 AM, LouigiVerona said:

Ever since I laid my hands on that excellent piece of software, Oblige, my Doom experience has changed dramatically. This became the best Doom I've ever played.

the authors of Oblige came up with, the levels are fluid and intricate in the best sense possible

I'm pretty sure the only author of Oblige was Andrew Apted. I'm sure @andrewj would be happy to know that his creation has enhanced your experience.

Modifications

The level is slightly modified. It did not have a pistol start, although most of the weapons lying around where there to begin with. I added the plasma gun and the BFG to the player immediately, since I found the pistol start here to be a little too challenging. I have also turned 4-5 enemies around, so that when you just start, you have a chance to collect the weapons and the ammo relatively uninterrupted. The original Oblige level had a number of Revenants and Hell Knights facing the opening area, making it very challenging to even collect the weapons. But those were the only changes.

You may want to leave some of them at the beginning turned around, but make those UV only. Some people might appreciate the heightened challenge.

The bug

At some point in time the level has a strange bug, an anomaly (maybe it explains the name of the map? :) ). I looked at it with the Doom Builder 2 editor, but I don't understand how to fix the issue. It seems okay, but maybe there is a limitation which should be tackled by a limit removing Doom 2 version. Would be good to fix it for Vanilla Doom 2 as well.

If you could describe the bug a little more, then perhaps someone could suggest a way to fix it for vanilla.