Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Doom Eternal won't have Snapmap

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

I'm starting to think people are either not reading the posts in this thread and choose to ignore what Id have been saying.

Again, they have stated modding is a long term goal.

My bad, I should read all the posts before I put my two cents in. If Doom Eternal has a thriving modding community like Bethesda's games tend to be, I'd be all for that. It would be better than Snapmap, overall. Even for consoles, since Fallout 4 allowed mods on it to some degree.

They can always make it future DLC like how the TES editor for Skyrim came out much later.

As for not reading posts in this thread... yep.

If they did introduce some form of user created content, would it be on all platforms? Sorry console players but I put part of the blame on its limitations. If it was PC specific the editor might not be "Social".

To be honest I'm not 100% sure what they mean.

All the gaming community did was scream and bitch about Snapmap being a neutered level design mode anyway, and now that it's gone it's suddenly this vital piece of Doom? Make up your fucking minds. 

13 minutes ago, Chezza said:

If they did introduce some form of user created content, would it be on all platforms? Sorry console players but I put part of the blame on its limitations. If it was PC specific the editor might not be "Social".

To be honest I'm not 100% sure what they mean.

SnapMap was to some exent and look what we got?  Granted it is better now but it is still handicapped.  I really think the modding and level building scene should just be on the PC.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

All the gaming community did was scream and bitch about Snapmap being a neutered level design mode anyway, and now that it's gone it's suddenly this vital piece of Doom? Make up your fucking minds. 

Playing some levels from snapmap and I think it's cool. Unfortunately you can't have the open air scenes of the campaign but I saw pretty good stuff.

Honestly nothing to complain about.

7 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

That's the result of improving Snapmap with updates. And I don't think that's something to be complained about.

Snapmap was a different kind of map-making than traditional Doom. It focused on storytelling and scripting/programming instead of architecture and level design. Initially this was somewhat of a shock and not easy to adapt to. In later revisions the custom geo capabilities improved which allowed a mixture of both the old and new styles, but custom geo was still very difficult (and the idiosyncrasies of the Snapmap editor didn't help much there, either). The vision of a map editor that blended simplicity and style never really materialized.

Ultimately and maybe unfortunately, it makes sense to get rid of it for Doom Eternal. There's no ongoing upside in retaining a limited editor whose user base is already small and will only dwindle further.

I don't have much faith that "mod support" will ever materialize. Probably the death of Snapmap was the end of nu-Doom modding, the realization of this leading to sad reactions to this news.

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

A map editor that the general public can even launch isn't something they can just will into existence after all. There's a lot of work involved in the process.

But they already had an easy to use map editor

Included with the base D4

It was better than the excellent main campaign

17 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Well, you know the saying, you never appreciate what you have until it's gone.

Guest MIND

Nobody cares about new created content and mods anymore. Sadly. Those are a thing of the past.

9 hours ago, MINDDomakr said:

Nobody cares about new created content and mods anymore. Sadly. Those are a thing of the past.

Doom community that creates maps and mods would like to disagree with you.

13 hours ago, MINDDomakr said:

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

LOL. Nice opinion, kid.

3 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Yeah basically, I assume that was sarcasm because DW has a lot of things going on and new projects start frequently. People do care a lot about custom user-made content without a doubt.

And not just Doom, look at other franchises like Elder Scrolls for instance. Those games still have very active modding communities.

16 hours ago, MINDDomakr said:

what is fallout

what is elder scrolls

what is doom?

20 hours ago, MINDDomakr said:

24 years of Cacowards would beg to differ.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:06 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

what is fallout

what is elder scrolls

what is doom?

Not to mention tons of older games with mod support which are still being sold these days.

Guest MIND
On 8/27/2018 at 5:46 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

Yeah about a game made in 1993 which was over 20 years ago genius. I'm talking about newer games.

Guest MIND
On 8/27/2018 at 12:06 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

what is fallout

what is elder scrolls

Those games are lame. Big whoop. 2 modern games that let you make modifications to them.

29 minutes ago, MINDDomakr said:

Yeah about a game made in 1993 which was over 20 years ago genius. I'm talking about newer games.

27 minutes ago, MINDDomakr said:

Those games are lame. Big whoop. 2 modern games that let you make modifications to them.

If you say so it must be true then. Millions of fans would disagree but who cares eh.

1 hour ago, MINDDomakr said:

Yeah, you want to ignore the entire fanbase shouting out for mod support for a modern game. Go ahead with your ignorance.

Mostly, you aren't going to get mod support if the engine is too complex for that. Modern modding isn't easy. Only Bethesda actually cares about mod support.

Edited by Cacodemon345

In the near future, I think modding will make a glorious return as intuitive AI algorithms are able to mitigate the enormous amounts of visual and architectural information required to make a modern map. SnapMap-like editors could become extremely powerful and user-friendly if you can talk back and forth with a "director" avatar that can do the heavy lifting. This ought to be possible sometime in the 2020s.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

id Software could just put their favorites on consoles themselves, like Bethesda did with Fallout 4.

And what, make us pay for them? No thanks

I think alot of people are too hard on SnapMap. Sure, it isn't mod support, but it was a fun little tool to fuck around with and make some maps.

But if id/Bethesda does replace it with mod support in DE then I think it would be worth it. Though I really don't have a good PC and likely can't run DE on it so I'm basically out of luck and have to play it on console. Maybe they'll add mods to the console versions like they did with Skyrim SE and Fallout 4.

19 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

I wasn't talking about the creator club, I was talking about the mods you can get on consoles for free. At least, last I checked, there were free mods.

Yes, but as far as PlayStation goes, mods were p. much limited to "character preset 01", Wacky Weapons, and strangled building mods