Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Doom Eternal won't have Snapmap

That is a good question. I daresay it's a bit of both.

"SnapMap wasn't doing well, so we'll sell singleplayer DLC's instead, but so people actually buy the DLC's, we'll drop SnapMap entirely."

I could definitely see it.

19 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Do you think they dropped SnapMap because it wasn't doing well? or because they just want to make sure Singleplayer DLC sales won't be too low? or both?

SnapMap is fun and all but there is no way anyone could see it as a substitute for a professionally made DLC. So it's definitely not being scrapped due to the DLC.

6 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

SnapMap is fun and all but there is no way anyone could see it as a substitute for a professionally made DLC. So it's definitely not being scrapped due to the DLC.

It's probably as Aquila said "SnapMap failed so there's no good reason to keep it, and it would let us focus on and help us boost Singleplayer DLC sales"

31 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

It's probably as Aquila said "SnapMap failed so there's no good reason to keep it, and it would let us focus on and help us boost Singleplayer DLC sales"

Even so, SP DLC vs SnapMap is a pretty difficult choice.

Or so it would seem, I clearly remember how much it was hated by people back when the game came out, some of them even going as far as calling it a "joke", so perhaps dropping it completely was the only reasonable choice.

Yeah, I also remember the demand for a sequel and / or DLC was very high, both on reddit and the Steam forums with people complaining about the huge size of updates that were only for Multiplayer and SnapMap and wanting them to release a sequel / DLC instead, it seems that's a reasonable decision.

45 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Yeah, I also remember the demand for a sequel and / or DLC was very high, both on reddit and the Steam forums with people complaining about the huge size of updates that were only for Multiplayer and SnapMap and wanting them to release a sequel / DLC instead, it seems that's a reasonable decision.

Oh yeah, Steam forums, those were plagued by such complaints. To be fair shipping SnapMap with the game rather than having it separate was not the brightest idea they could come up with, still, even if that's taken out of the equation plenty of people complained about SnapMap's limitations in the comments section of various articles I've read back then.

48 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Oh yeah, Steam forums, those were plagued by such complaints.

You don't even know the half of it.

I was a very common member in the Doom Steam forum and the cancer was real even before the game was released. People calling it a "COD clone" and "not respectful to the originals". Obviously, those threads didn't age well and are now lost in time. Thankfully though, I did find some new friends there. Some are still active in it.

tbh it's not limited to just Doom forum when it comes to Steam, the Steam community in general is a bad place to ask a Question, it's dripping with toxicity. though that can be said about any online forum to some degree but the Steam forums remain the worst :P I rarely check these out but in this case the DLC / Singleplayer expansion was a valid complaint at the very least.

1 hour ago, TakenStew22 said:

I was a very common member in the Doom Steam forum and the cancer was real even before the game was released. People calling it a "COD clone" and "not respectful to the originals". Obviously, those threads didn't age well and are now lost in time. Thankfully though, I did find some new friends there. Some are still active in it.

I remember that, the game was getting roasted there and in other places by the time of the open beta.

Edited by DMPhobos

18 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

tbh it's not limited to just Doom forum when it comes to Steam, the Steam community in general is a bad place to ask a Question, it's dripping with toxicity. though that can be said about any online forum to some degree but the Steam forums remain the worst :P I rarely check these out but in this case the DLC / Singleplayer expansion was a valid complaint at the very least.

I heard Reddit was pretty bad aswell. Don't know about the Doom community on there though.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:00 AM, Edward850 said:

Except it was entirely because people asked for it. There was an overwhelming demand for more DLC content in favour of snapmap, so that's exactly what happened, in addition to in the future making the engine more modding friendly if possible.

You can't blame the publisher for Id doing exactly what people wanted them to do.

I don't feel as if completely dumping user-made content was the way to go. Obviously, I don't expect a immediate replacement but I hope to see some sort of modding support in the future, after the game's initial release.

EDIT: I re-read your post and noticed that you actually mentioned hopes for modding support, my bad.

To be fair, Doom 4 looked like it was shaping up to be a Call of Duty clone but I'm guessing they were talking about the E3 trailer where it showed it was no longer like that?

They were talking about the Multiplayer I believe, which is quite similar to the Call of Duty Multiplayer with a similar progression system, taunts, and unlockable customizations and Matchmaking.

11 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

To be fair, Doom 4 looked like it was shaping up to be a Call of Duty clone but I'm guessing they were talking about the E3 trailer where it showed it was no longer like that?

Yep. They still called it a COD clone even though it was nothing like one.

Ironically enough, Call of Duty is a Doom clone in of itself.

weren't these complaints directed towards the Open Beta? way before id software took back control of the Multiplayer? IIRC they outsourced the Multiplayer to Certain Affinity, hence the similarities between it and COD and Halo's Multiplayers.

I hope the at least update Snap Map for Doom 4 while we wait for DE to release.  Add the summoner and give some of the other requested features please.  It doesn't need to be super fancy.

Maybe at a later point post launch we could get a DE version of SnapMap.

42 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

weren't these complaints directed towards the Open Beta? way before id software took back control of the Multiplayer? IIRC they outsourced the Multiplayer to Certain Affinity, hence the similarities between it and COD and Halo's Multiplayers.

Yes, But even before the beta people still compared it to COD. The beta just made it worse. Imo, I don’t even think the multiplayer plays anything like Call of Duty. People just assume that if a game has loadouts then it’s a “Call of Duty clone”.

3 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Pfui, the "COD/Halo clone" fiasco, makes the Void itself shake...

I so remember those times as well, the MP open beta was buried alive sitting at Mostly Negative reviews on the store from the first day. Pathetic really, because guess why, literally 90% of those people did a full 180 after the full game's launch. I'm just so glad that cancer vanished quickly.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:38 AM, Coopersville said:

Not going to miss it. 

With all of it's limitations, who would?

6 minutes ago, ATP2555 said:

With all of it's limitations, who would?

I would. It was still a fun tool despite its limitations.

You'd be surprised there are people who actually enjoyed it despite it's limitations, going as far as starting petitions demanding id to continue working on it, but ultimately that wasn't enough to save it, or so it seems.

The mode is abandoned; the same maps have been in the community spotlight for over a year (Eye of Horus), some of the bugs still exist (Possessed Engineers enter glory kill stance but you can't glory kill them, HAR Micro Missiles not affected by Haste), and missing content still hasn't been added (Reaper, playable Cacodemon, etc.).

Edited by ATP2555

I think if id tries this again with Doom 5 (or whatever) in the 2020s, we may have sufficient AI assistants that can help us create more flexible content. In addition, it would be helpful if SnapMap 2.0 had some kind of intuitive system for determining how complex the interface should be so that novice users won't be overwhelmed and advanced users will have more options.

9 minutes ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

Check this shit out, this is what Snapmap can do in the right hands. Map by JRCrash

Yep. Alot of people underestimate SnapMap and the great potential it has.

Hard to find SnapMaps like these with the current crappy interface and Rating system, especially considering they're few and far between tbh.

It's the terrible load time and the atrocious highlight interface that takes away the current value of Snapmap.

Some of the biggest and most important updates that really allows for great Snapmaps to be made;

- Unlimited build cap for Singleplayer maps

- Hell presets and classical available

- Customisable models / building blocks that does allow for custom rooms

People with time, dedication and creativity can and has made excellent Snapmaps.

There is a website I should get the link for that promotes maps and reviews them.

Played a few SnapMaps for fun over the weekend.  There is some real improvements in the map making process.  I even had some random person join my game.