Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pan

Blighted Moonbase wad - Doom challenge - 100% my map for 100 bucks

(UPDATE: Competition is now underway for Blighted Moonbase 3. Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/87l67akb223q4ap/blightedmoonbase3.wad/file )

(OLD UPDATE (Blighted Moonbase 2): I ran an initial challenge for the first blighted moonbase, that was won by Memfis. Because my wording wasn't clear, possibly allowing for multiple winners, I am now running a runners-up challenge. See below first post. Updated: Blighted Man 2 was also won by Memfis.
)

Hi,

I have a very boring office job that actually allows me time to do a bit of doom mapping when the manager isn't looking.

Hence, I have created Blighted Moonbase.

I have designed what I think is a difficult level, but it is possible to 100% it (items and kills). Just for fun, if someone scores 100% items and kills with this map and posts a recording of them doing it, I will mail that person 100 bucks (AUD). You can send me your details upon completion.

RULES OF THE CHALLENGE;

- No jumping

- No cheating 

- Must be completed on UV with a standard pistol start without custom weapons or monsters mods

- Deadline for challenge completion is the first day of 2019.

- Must complete the level with 100% kills and 100% items

- Must be completed in one continuous sitting with no saves or deaths

COMPATIBILITY;

- Map has been tested with the latest version of GZ Doom. Drag wad into GZ Doom and use with Doom 2 source wad.

MAP;

- Map made with Slade and GZ Doom Builder using doom 2 wad file.

STORY;

Your star ship is running low on fuel and you desperately need to refuel. You have arrived at the Moonbase, a water covered moon that orbits a nearby planet. You have docked your ship at the landing port and approach the entrance of the base.

TIPS;

Keep moving through the base or the hordes will overwhelm you.

SCREENSHOTS;

Sorry, no spoilers. This map was made with all vanilla doom 2 textures and sprites + custom music. 

(old version, go to runners-up challenge below) DOWNLOAD IT (old version, go to runners-up challenge below) ; http://www.mediafire.com/file/a7t5r097k5s6oee/Blighted+Moonbase.zip

GOODLUCK! 

UPDATE: BLIGHTED MOONBASE 2 RUNNERS-UP CHALLENGE

Rules of the Challenge

1. Only 1 winner. 

2. The winner is the first person to post a recording of 100% kills and 100% items in one sitting without dying or saving.

3. No cheating (includes clipping, god mode, guns and ammo cheats).

4. Must be played in vanilla Doom 2 with no weapons or monster mods

5. No jumping 

6. Must be completed on Ultra Violence difficulty from a pistol start

7. Deadline for this challenge is the first day of 2019.

MAP INFO

1. Blighted Moonbase 2 is harder than the first Blighted Moonbase. The balance of ammo and monster count is different and there are more items to collect. 

2. This map has been tested on the latest version of GZ Doom with Doom 2 source wad

3. This map has a greater emphasis on strategic movement. Stay in the same area for too long and you will run out of ammo and be overwhelmed by the hordes.

DOWNLOAD; http://www.mediafire.com/file/2q2qrczevazmdu3/blightedmoonbase2.wad/file

PRIZE: 100 dollars AUD

Once again, GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Pan

Hmm, I personally would not send my details to some stranger over the internet. But, assuming this is actually true, hope you get some people to do it I guess :)

I think you should still put screenshots as it will make more people interested in the wad. Then again, it is up to you. 

As said above, I won't be competing in your challenge but, good luck on finding some who will as, the challenge itself sounds attracting but then again, sending personnal details to some stranger over the internet is a no no for me. 

Edited by Yugiboy85

Invisible cacodemons keep killing me, no idea how or why. Maybe I'm using an outdated GZ build but I just keep dying with seemingly no rhyme or reason. I do like the contest you've presented here though, I'm eager to see who the winner will be and what the trick is!

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Invisible cacodemons keep killing me, no idea how or why. Maybe I'm using an outdated GZ build but I just keep dying with seemingly no rhyme or reason. I do like the contest you've presented here though, I'm eager to see who the winner will be and what the trick is!

Cacodemons will float into the court yard where the blue key door is. The caco's are hard to see because they are behind invisible sky walls. But definitely make sure you are using the latest version of GZ doom

35 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Hmm, I personally would not send my details to some stranger over the internet. But, assuming this is actually true, hope you get some people to do it I guess :)

I think you should still put screenshots as it will make more people interested in the wad. Then again, it is up to you. 

As said above, I won't be competing in your challenge but, good luck on finding some who will as, the challenge itself sounds attracting but then again, sending personnal details to some stranger over the internet is a no no for me. 

Maybe I can gift someone a game on STEAM instead? i'll let the winner decide

2 minutes ago, Pan said:

Maybe I can gift someone a game on STEAM instead? i'll let the winner decide

That works, or simply use paypal. You're only swapping your email address and iRL name that way, not so much of an issue.

Two screens of the map itself . Sorry but it looks too bad for a such challenge.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I won't play this. Not because I don't like the idea but because it is a to novel one. You'll need to find an other way to sell this if you want people to try.

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

Two screens of the map itself . Sorry but it looks too bad for a such challenge.

unknown.png

unknown.png

It might look simplistic when viewed in this way, but I've put a lot of thought into the traps. You'll find it a devious map.

Yes, the map isn't that artful I agree. This map is more about game play. The design is meant to be a moon base overrun by demonic possession. The standard stuff. Don't read too much into it. For my next map I might spend more time on lighting and making it look nice. For this map I just want to see if someone can overcome my challenge and I'm willing to pay to see it. I don't know anyone else who likes Doom in my circle of friends, so watching a random on the internet beat my map is the next best thing.

3 hours ago, Pan said:

I have a very boring office job that actually allows me time to do a bit of doom mapping when the manager isn't looking.

What a lucky guy are you.

Actually this reminds me of the "call Apogee, say aardwolf" contest. If OP had scrambled the map to produce garbage in editors ( I vaguely remember something about changing headers) it wouldn't have fallen flat on its face. Now the cat is out of the box.

44 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Actually this reminds me of the "call Apogee, say aardwolf" contest. If OP had scrambled the map to produce garbage in editors ( I vaguely remember something about changing headers) it wouldn't have fallen flat on its face. Now the cat is out of the box.

Yes, the cat is indeed out of the bag..

Judging by the screens, you mostly can cause some infighting and what is left, just finish off. 

462507708_Shitchallenge.png.032d135e5e649e1a2411d239c0d61b19.png

Well I made it to the exit

ShitCHallenge2.png.880851a15c3041b44ca1e4e1018ba069.png

WITH 100% Everything... Honestly it doesn't feel worthy...

The Difficulty is quite bizarre, textures are strewn everywhere, Half of the maze makes no sense in it's layout, TONS of mis aligned floors, the Auto-map is defunked, Enemies seem to randomly appear out of nowhere and a LOT of Arch viles with NO BFG (from what I can see at any rate).

3/10.

8 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

462507708_Shitchallenge.png.032d135e5e649e1a2411d239c0d61b19.png

Well I made it to the exit

ShitCHallenge2.png.880851a15c3041b44ca1e4e1018ba069.png

WITH 100% Everything... Honestly it doesn't feel worthy...

The Difficulty is quite bizarre, textures are strewn everywhere, Half of the maze makes no sense in it's layout, TONS of mis aligned floors, the Auto-map is defunked, Enemies seem to randomly appear out of nowhere and a LOT of Arch viles with NO BFG (from what I can see at any rate).

3/10.

My man!

You've got yourself a hundred bucks if you can prove you did that in an unbroken run with no cheating. 

....To be honest, you intimidate me. You must be some kind of modern day Rambo (T-T)

Will you pleaaaaase accept a demo where I clip through the blue door? I simply did not know that it closes forever after just one second. I feel like it would be a little too cruel if I had to redo the whole thing just because of a mistake in design.

I have to say the map was quite entertaining. The beginning is really tricky, with monsters coming from every direction and somewhat low health supplies. The rest is definitely easier in comparison, but there are still some scary moments (e.g. releasing arch-viles from behind the barrels).

Here is my demo recorded in GZDoom 3.5.0. I beg for your understanding...

heh.zip

Haha, $100 dollars is quite the incentive! I might take a crack after i get myself some time (and stop sucking). If i can't, i'll just comment on the map :P

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Will you pleaaaaase accept a demo where I clip through the blue door? I simply did not know that it closes forever after just one second. I feel like it would be a little too cruel if I had to redo the whole thing just because of a mistake in design.

I have to say the map was quite entertaining. The beginning is really tricky, with monsters coming from every direction and somewhat low health supplies. The rest is definitely easier in comparison, but there are still some scary moments (e.g. releasing arch-viles from behind the barrels).

Here is my demo recorded in GZDoom 3.5.0. I beg for your understanding...

heh.zip

Man....that was epic. Really well done. The first bit was very intense. I don't know how you got through the cacodemon wave.

Unfortunately the rules are clear. No cheating (that includes clipping walls). Yes, it's a one time opening blue door....perhaps this trap is too cruel. 

I found this level quite fun so I went ahead and recorded a faster demo without clipping or any illegal stuff. It should satisfy all requirements. Hope you enjoyed my suffering. :)

hehol.zip

2 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I found this level quite fun so I went ahead and recorded a faster demo without clipping or any illegal stuff. It should satisfy all requirements. Hope you enjoyed my suffering. :)

hehol.zip

Alright I quit D:

5 minutes ago, Memfis said:

hehol.zip

Well deserved! i'll check this but i trust it's all good! PM me and let me know how you want to collect the payment!

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

hehol.zip

Confirmed! What an impressive run. You almost died a few times...it got very tense.

Thanks for the PM. I'll communicate with you there for the payment

10 hours ago, Pan said:

[...] Just for fun, if someone scores 100% items and kills with this map and posts a recording of them doing it, I will mail that person 100 bucks (AUD). You can send me your details upon completion. [...]

Hmmmmm, from this language I assume that the offer is good for anyone who completes the challenge, and not just the first person?

How exciting. ;)

Actually I did cheat. near the end I gave up trying to look for the remaining 100 or so enemies and like 50 or so items on the map. Still doesn't excuse your level's lack of quality.

To be honest, I don't know what's the deal here. Are you thinking the difficulty of doing the job, with 100% items particularly mentioned, is very hard? Otherwise, you're just very desperate that you need someone to play your map...

24 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

To be honest, I don't know what's the deal here. Are you thinking the difficulty of doing the job, with 100% items particularly mentioned, is very hard? Otherwise, you're just very desperate that you need someone to play your map...

I figured he was going for a Krypton Factor/Gameshow type affair, though rather than challenging physically fit people to do a variety of tough tasks, he's instead challenging the Doomgods of this site to a 100% clear speedrun on a higher than usual difficulty map, I guess.

Just without the glamour and glitz and television exposure... just the money in this case.

5 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Hmmmmm, from this language I assume that the offer is good for anyone who completes the challenge, and not just the first person?

How exciting. ;)

I agree that the language I use is misleading and suggests multiple winners. Therefore, I've decided to have a runners-up prize for the next person who completes this map. There is a catch however. I noticed in Memfis's playthrough that there is an abundance of ammo towards the end of the map and it becomes a bit too easy therefore i will rebalance the map and release the new version for the runner's-up prize later today. I will call it Blighted Moonbase 2 ;)