Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Classic Mode

Personally (and I started with Doom II), I think Doom 2016 was the best Doom game I've ever played. Classic seems like a bore compared to it.

3 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well, you all seem to think that classic mode would be impossible to add. I think it would have been a sweet bonus to unlock once you complete the single player mode on normal or higher. Mode doesn't need to remove the advanced movement then, but it could disable glory kills secondary fires, and you'd get the original Doom Marine as playable character. Is that fair?

No, it's best to make something that's designed specifically for such a mode, if it is to be made at all.

Anyway,

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

What would be the point?

Yeah. It may not be impossible, but does it really have to be made? I doubt it. Like I already said there's better things to do with the resources.

3 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well, you all seem to think that classic mode would be impossible to add. I think it would have been a sweet bonus to unlock once you complete the single player mode on normal or higher. Mode doesn't need to remove the advanced movement then, but it could disable glory kills secondary fires, and you'd get the original Doom Marine as playable character. Is that fair?

...*Sigh*...

Literally all you need to do in order to disable the secondary fires is... well... not pick the upgrades, as for the 'Play as the original doom marine'... why? i mean there isn't a single moment where you can see your character in third person or anything. As for the glory kills, well you can ignore them, there's nothing forcing you to do them except for killing the bosses, you can even disable the blue/yellow light indicating a staggered enemy. Heck the menu has so many options to enable disable, playing with half of the shit on screen is a great way to experience the game. There's even a mode in the menu were you can center your weapons like in classic doom, but you wouldn't know because.... *Sigh*

13 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

disable glory kills, secondary fires

Two things you don't have to use and could easily unbind / disable yourself. 

8 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I need to think this through.

If you had played the game before making this thread you wouldn't have to think at all.

There is literally no need for a classic mode. Besides, it would be harmful to give the option to disable new features because it would show a lack of confidence. What is fun is the 'classic weapons pose' from Doom 2016 because it's a bit of a nostalgic throwback but that is all.

Besides, it's practically the same marine but 3D-ified.

I'm reminded of a post I saw recently where someone was complaining that the new plasma rifle, despite looking like a perfect modern interpretation of the original, doesn't have the same sound effect as the original.

11 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

as for the 'Play as the original doom marine'... why? i mean there isn't a single moment where you can see your character in third person or anything.

But you already are the original doom marine. Quake Champions confirmed that.

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Two things you don't have to use and could easily unbind / disable yourself. 

What I meant on turning off glory kills was removing stunned enemies. It would have them keep killing you instead of stopping. Not only can you not perform glory kills on them, they won't stop until you're defeated. Basically making the game harder.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

Spoiler

Well colour me surprised, the first post you've made that has a valid point!

Indeed, that would probably make for a good option. 

11 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

But you already are the original doom marine. Quake Champions confirmed that.

I'd rather see lore in Doom Eternal confirming this than Quake Champions.

Partly because Quake is a separate series from Doom, it's own thing, and partly because Quake Champions is a multiplayer-only thing, so it's probably best to take anything it says or does with a grain of salt.

Spoiler

And I don't consider any Quake beyond the first to be canon, anyway.

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:
  Hide contents

Well colour me surprised, the first post you've made that has a valid point!

Indeed, that would probably make for a good option. 

Thank you. c:

7 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I'd rather see lore in Doom Eternal confirming this than Quake Champions.

Partly because Quake is a separate series from Doom, it's own thing, and partly because Quake Champions is a multiplayer-only thing, so it's probably best to take anything it says or does with a grain of salt.

Hide contents

And I don't consider any Quake beyond the first to be canon, anyway.

I don't think they will confirm it beyond Quake Champions. Mostly because I think they enjoy the debates about it. :p

Also, isn't quake in the same universe as doom? the first one.

For all intents and purposes, he is the original doom guy. He just has a cool new name and better stats. In terms of armour, he is basically doom guy again. Why would anyone care about whether they play two identical men?

Huh, no.

And you did not found the secret levels? Or did not played the game? Sadly the old levels were not very well implemented. I wonder if the yare gonna do the same thing but with Doom 2 in Eternal.

I'm not sure about a "classic" mode, sounds like a bad idea honestly.  They should definitely not try to put in the secret classic maps like last time though that was totally pointless...if I wanna play the classic maps I'll just play the original games.  They need to focus all their energy on new content.

I think if you want to play the classic levels with D16 weapons and/or gameplay, then you're better off digging around the community for those classic doom mods are available for you to do that, and seeing which one is right for you. This also (usually) means that you can play a whole bunch of WADs, not just the D1 and D2 levels.

I'd much rather that the developers focus their ultimately limited budgets on delivering new stuff, rather stuff like classic mode. I'd honestly rather have more challenges.

15 hours ago, CreamCheese said:

Can we stop pandering to 30 yr old boomers please?

30 year olds are millennials, boomers are 54-74 years old.

15 hours ago, STILES said:

I'm not sure about a "classic" mode, sounds like a bad idea honestly.  They should definitely not try to put in the secret classic maps like last time though that was totally pointless...if I wanna play the classic maps I'll just play the original games.  They need to focus all their energy on new content.

If only they made with Doom 4 textures and less blocky.

19 hours ago, STILES said:

Would you be open to non-classic secret levels? Like one where Slayer ends up in Nazi America and kills some Nazis?

On 9/6/2018 at 10:13 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

Would you be open to non-classic secret levels? Like one where Slayer ends up in Nazi America and kills some Nazis?

This would actually be an awesome idea. Imagine a secret level being reused in the next Wolfenstein game with Blazkowicz wondering what happened there.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:50 AM, NoXion said:

I think if you want to play the classic levels with D16 weapons and/or gameplay, then you're better off digging around the community for those classic doom mods are available for you to do that, and seeing which one is right for you. This also (usually) means that you can play a whole bunch of WADs, not just the D1 and D2 levels.

I'd much rather that the developers focus their ultimately limited budgets on delivering new stuff, rather stuff like classic mode. I'd honestly rather have more challenges.

30 year olds are millennials, boomers are 54-74 years old.

30 yr old boomer is an expression in gaming forums to describe millenials who insist that current fads in video games are inherently worse than fads from the oughts

14 hours ago, CreamCheese said:

30 yr old boomer is an expression in gaming forums to describe millenials who insist that current fads in video games are inherently worse than fads from the oughts

I did not know of that expression. That's actually pretty funny, considering how D16 spits in the face of even noughties fads, let along current ones. Like only being able to carry two weapons at once (seen in Halo:CE way back in 2001), as opposed to the classical hyperspace arsenal.

Cover shooting? D16's gameplay design actively punishes such strategies - saw a really cringey video recently of someone trying to play like that and getting their ass handed to them. "Be aggressive and keep moving," says D16, "or else... ".

I think D16 has shown all FPS players that a neo-classical synthesis of oldschool action-oriented gameplay with modern technology is possible. *adjusts monocle*

On 9/6/2018 at 4:13 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

That's a bit different, that would be pretty awesome if it were done in 2018 textures and not 1992's.  I'm not against secret levels at all, just against reusing the old textures and levels for "nostalgia" sake.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:00 AM, NoXion said:

I did not know of that expression. That's actually pretty funny, considering how D16 spits in the face of even noughties fads, let along current ones. Like only being able to carry two weapons at once (seen in Halo:CE way back in 2001), as opposed to the classical hyperspace arsenal.

Cover shooting? D16's gameplay design actively punishes such strategies - saw a really cringey video recently of someone trying to play like that and getting their ass handed to them. "Be aggressive and keep moving," says D16, "or else... ".

I think D16 has shown all FPS players that a neo-classical synthesis of oldschool action-oriented gameplay with modern technology is possible. *adjusts monocle*

Neo-Classical Synthesis? What are we doing learning IS/LM up in here? Jks jks

This is the kind of modes that -if- they make they should do after the game is released. No need to waste development time testing a mode that locks most features to ensure it is good enough. Especially  since a bad classic mode will easily ruin the experience for old fans if it is badly designed and they immediately use it.