Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhilelM

Doom, the movie

A scoop ? by QuakeFR.

Les studios Warner Bros. sont sur le point de conclure une entente avec ID Software pour mette la main sur les droits cinématographiques du célèbre jeu DOOM selon le Hollywood Reporter.

L'entente prévoit que si aucun projet n'est développé après une période de 15 mois, les droits retourneront à ID Software.

Le projet cinématographique serait produit par John Wells Productions et Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

Lorsque l'entente sera finalisée, un scénariste sera engagé.

Lancé en 1993, DOOM est un jeu de tir à la première personne. Le troisième volet doit sortir l'année prochaine. D'ailleurs le film sera inspiré en partie par ce troisième volet qui se déroule sur une base paramilitaire sur Mars alors qu'une expérience scientifique, qui tourne mal, ouvre accidentellement une porte sur l'enfer.

the article by Hollywood Reporter :

Warner Bros. Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the feature film rights to id Software Inc.'s video game property "Doom" in a progress-to-production deal that will see the project go in front of the cameras in 15 months, or the rights revert back to the software company.

Studio-based John Wells Prods. will produce "Doom" with recently departed worldwide production president-turned-producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. Once the deal is firmly in place, a writer will be put on board to pen the screenplay.

Although the video game was controversial because of its violence when it was originally released, the feature film version will aim for a PG-13 rating.

"Doom," a first-person shooter, launched in 1993, and a third installment is scheduled for release next year. The feature film's story line will most resemble the third "Doom," which is set in the future at a paramilitary base on Mars, where a scientific experiment goes awry and accidentally opens a portal to hell. The vastly outnumbered hero fights off the forces of hell as they come from the portal onto the deserted base. This will be the basis for the feature version, without the constraints of the first-person shooter format. (Zorianna Kit)

PG-13 that's just fucking great.
This movie is gonna suck so much ass, think Mortal Kombat.

that will see the project go in front of the cameras in 15 months, or the rights revert back to the software company.

Well there ya go. We just gotta keep things from happening for a little more than a year, and all will be well.

Well, the negotiations aren't done yet.

Please id, make up you minds and tell them to fuck off... you don't really need the money and you don't need the crap they'd produce.

I'm sure other, better, movie-making offers are possible now that DOOM III is coming.

Aaaarrrrggghhhh!
A Doom movie should NOT be a meager PG-13 rating - that's just too fucking stupid.
We can be sure that it'll suck big time because of this.
Bah.

This sucks. 'Nuff said, but I'll say more;

If there absolutely needs to be a doom movie, it shouldn't be a pg-13 one.

But for Christ sake, how can id let this happen? Hollywood is gonna ass rape this movie ten times worse than it did Resident Evil. But fuck that shit, it's going to make Doom look bad. Doom is one of those games that everyone knows, and respects in some way for that matter. If a movie is made, Doom won't be known any longer for the great game that it is, it will be known for the shitty movie.

I won't support a Doom movie if it comes out. I just don't see how I can.

ARGHHHH NOOO !
I wont see a crappy doom3 movie !
Doom means fear, blood and gore and it is definitly NOT a sci-fi movie. But im sure they will make one of it if its pg13 ratet :(

I personaly would like to see a doom3 CG-movie like final fantasy, great effekt, no limits in splattering corpses and such nice stuff ;)

I like the fact that they want to make a doom movie.. but WTF.. PG-13? thats like pokemon suited.. WTF kids at that age are still scared for monsters under thier bed kids at that age get freaked out when they see pinokio's nose growing.. thats not the audience that id targets thier game(s) for..

no way.. if they are going for a PG-13 rated the movie will suck DONKY ass.. ala mortal kombat..

you need fear in doom.. no fluffy pink imps throwing flowers and rainbows at you instead of fire balls

id needs to get a master guy like the one who did "Night of the Living Dead".. for CG effects in the movie.. they dont need to worry.. they already have the high res models for the effects :D

HAMMER-STROKE said:

id needs to get a master guy like the one who did "Night of the Living Dead".. for CG effects in the movie.. they dont need to worry.. they already have the high res models for the effects :D

In fact, George Romero wrote the original script for Resident Evil and it was much better than the produced version. Very true to the original game and full of tasteful action and gore.

I think if someone of his caliber were involved in the making of the Doom film, it would have great potential. But alas...

P fuckin g-13 can suck my fuckin nuts this movie is gunna blow ass grrrrrrrrrrr. pissen me off

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PG-13? What the fuck? They trying to turn it into Bambi or something?

They're going to fuck up Doom itself with this film. I didn't give a shit about Resident Evil because it was a shite series and pretentious brand at best, but I cannot believe that this is going to happen to Doom.

Excuse me while I NUKE Hollywood.

Shaviro said:

Calm down. Just because they say they want to aim at PG-13 doesn't mean it will be a bad movie.

You can't possibly be serious!
You of all guys on this forums! You're one of those who persist that Doom is a very atmospheric and scary game (and I agree wholeheartedly on that) - do you realize what PG-13 means?
It means that they can't make the damn movie scary without violating the pg-13 rating!

Here's what a proper Doom movie should be like:
* Scary Aliens-esque atmosphere (this is NOT for kids).
* Lots of action.
* Inclusion of additional characters who die off one by one.
* Gore n' blood - not vomitable gore, but something which is bloodier than the little you'd see in Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 (this is NOT for kids)
* A story line which has some interesting twists in it - not just 1 Badass marine Vs. Hell.
* Cool effects
* A badass minigun-style chaingun

O_o That would suck so hard - "Night of the Living Dead" was a black-and-white movie produced in the sixties and had a bunch of people with very little makeup to play as zombies - not that this particular movie was bad (it rocked if you consider the technical limitations of the time).

dsm said:

You can't possibly be serious!
You of all guys on this forums! You're one of those who persist that Doom is a very atmospheric and scary game (and I agree wholeheartedly on that) - do you realize what PG-13 means?
It means that they can't make the damn movie scary without violating the pg-13 rating!

You can have violence and scary scenes with PG-13.

Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.

Rough or persistent violence is absent;

We're talking thumb cutting/smashin here. We're talking about a gang beating up a guy for minutes, like in those old 80s movies.

Here's what a proper Doom movie should be like:
* Scary Aliens-esque atmosphere (this is NOT for kids).

No, it is not for kids. That is why it's PG-13 and not PG.

* Lots of action.

It doesn't need to be an action movie.

* Inclusion of additional characters who die off one by one.

Please no. We've seen that a million times now. It's too predictable and overused.

* Gore n' blood - not vomitable gore, but something which is bloodier than the little you'd see in Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 (this is NOT for kids)

You can have that with PG-13, as long as it's not shown too much. We don't need to have guts splattered in our faces.

* A story line which has some interesting twists in it - not just 1 Badass marine Vs. Hell.

Doom3's storyline.

* Cool effects

Well duh.

* A badass minigun-style chaingun

Not necesarily. Too many people think "one-man army movie" when they think "Doom movie". A Doom movie wouldn't be focused on the gore and action, but the overall story of it. A portal to hell opens and mankind has to fight for survival. We'll get to see marines fighting, hellspawn dying and whatnot, but I don't think that will be the main point. When I think "Doom movie" I think of a mixture of "Independence day" and "Aliens".

Hell. If "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" can get rated "PG", the Doom movie can get rated "PG-13".

I agree with everyone complaining about the PC-13 rating movie. THe movie should be focused the the fans that were in their pre-teens or teens at the time it was originally released. With a PG-13 rating they are focusing on the younger audience which totally sucks. If they want to make a decent scary movie like Aliens, it should be rated AA or R, something like Predator etc. For you guys saying the rating doesn't matter, well it does. For example, remember Starship Troopers? it was rated R and I personnaly think the gore in that movie was pretty minimal. IF they are going to make this movie it should be made well, in according to the game (even if it has the controversy of extreme violence). Perhaps people should make a patition to ID software stating that fans do not want this movie made unless its made in according with the ratings of the original games (Doom II was MAture 17+). WB is just for kids, and we're not wanting to see a family movie here are we?

I'm just relating to movie ratings, more violence and gore ups the rating. Doom was known for its high violence levels and gore so why decrease it just for the younger audience who probably have never heard of it. Doom was hardcore, if they make a movie only rated PG-13, thats pretty softcore.

..plus if anyone has read the Doom series of Books by Dafydd Ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver, they go into good detail on the violence and gore level of the game.

SpacemanSpiff said:

..plus if anyone has read the Doom series of Books by Dafydd Ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver, they go into good detail on the violence and gore level of the game.

Nobody cares about the books. A movie shouldn't be about the violence, but the overall story and setting.

SpacemanSpiff said:

Please, for the sake of all that is holy, do not talk about the FUCKING books.

Anyone with a ounce of literary sense can see that they're nothing but ill-conceived drivel.

The idea of a DOOM movie isnt all that bad (I guess), but the PG-13 just makes it seem that the movie will be nothing that the game has brought into our lives; Gore, mass killings, unforgetable Profanity, and parts in which are Unexplainable do to the rush of the action within the movie...These and more define a great movie, PG-13 defines a downward spiral for the expectations of it till it hits rock bottom...Lez pray from sumthing at least PG-13 quality, hopefully they boost that rating up so it can become the movie We all want to see and remember for the rest of our lives.