Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Is Mick Gordon running out of ideas?

Or, is he introducing something new to the table? Doom Eternal's soundtrack didn't feel too appealing to me, because, it's particularly nu metal stuff, and has less of a demonic feel to it. I guess the only track I liked of the gameplay demo was at the near end, after fighting the Baron of Hell. The rest of the soundtrack, as I felt, was just guitar riffs and drums, and basically no usage of computer based sounds. I don't know much about music genres in general, but I need your opinion on this one. 

We've only barely heard a snippet of what may or may not be used in the final product, so no, he's not running out of his ideas.

Do you think he'll bring back the late night munchies Taco Bell elevator music from Doom II? Can't wait to hear D_Runnin again.

Edited by Ex Oblivione : Believe in Mick Gordon. He believes in you!

Since the D16 soundtrack had a couple bits of remixed Classic Doom music here and there, I guess DE would also have the same, this time from Doom 2 instead of Doom 1. So, when it comes out, in one of the tracks, we might hear D_RUNNIN again. 

Look at what we heard in the trailers and gameplay videos of Doom 2016, vs. everything we heard in the finished game and official soundtrack. It wasn't even 1/20th of the music that was in the final product, and much of it had been revised at that point.

Rest easy on this issue. We've barely heard anything and the stuff we've heard is likely to be revised as well by the time the game is completed.

I wouldn't have said so at all.  Mick Gordon has done a lot more than just the Doom soundtrack: he stuff for Wolfentstein, Prey and Killer Instinct was all very different.  

If anything, the music in Doom Eternal sounds like a progression on Doom 2016: a step away from synth-djent and towards more classic riff based metal, combined with more orchestral work (like that cool E1M8 remix).  Personally, I'm excited for it.  They were never going to change it hugely though: the music of Doom 2016 was a big hit, id will want to maintain the same with Doom Eternal.

I don't know, I'm not a fan of Mick Gordon to begin with. There are only like 5 tracks I like from everything he's worked on. I don't expect much to change in DE.

I really enjoyed the Doom '16 OST, but it doesn't really have any riffs. As I mentioned in another thread, it's a collage of rhythmic ideas, ignoring typical rock music structure in favor of explosions of staccato and syncopation. 

Mick didn't go for 12 bar blues arrangements set to classic metal riffs because it's the 21st century. But by going for an industrial djent soundscape, there weren't many melodies to latch on to, save for the ridiculously downtuned homage to E1M1. The man has proven his competence, but ought to expand his range.

11 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

We've only barely heard a snippet of what may or may not be used in the final product, so no, he's not running out of his ideas.

This. We've barely heard anything but a very, very small piece of what may, or may not end up in the final product.

Although I must admit I wasn't a big fan of D2016's soundtrack, just a matter of preference. It was great, but I prefer @Aubrey Hodges's dark ambient work out of all Doom games.

I don't think he is. Also I wouldn't describe anything he has ever done as "nu-metal" especially since that is kind of a bullshit term anyway. I've heard a lot of his stuff and it's pretty varied and interesting, especially from a sound design point of view. I like his stuff because there's so much going on. Has a lot of layers. I don't need music to be "catchy". It just needs to be interesting.

How can you tell that?, game hasn't been released yet and we have barely hear anything beyond the gameplay demo. The best tracks in Doom 2016 weren't heard on any of the promotional videos and some of the tracks heard on the e3 reveal aren't even on the game at all, so it's too early to say 'it sounds like more of the same' when we have barely heard anything

1 hour ago, MaxTrevors said:

I don't think he is. Also I wouldn't describe anything he has ever done as "nu-metal" especially since that is kind of a bullshit term anyway.

Some folks mistakingly use the label whenever they hear syncopated metal tuned below D♭. It's very dismissive.

19 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

it's too early to say 'it sounds like more of the same' when we have barely heard anything

To be fair I'm pretty sure Mick Gordon himself said in some interview that he doesn't like it when a sequel changes the style of music. So yeah, it'll be more of the same. Whether it's good or bad is debatable.

You dare throw that derogatory "nu metal" term at Mick Gordon's magnificent music?!

Also, I'm pretty sure he's not anywhere close to running out of ideas. The diverse range of styles he's able to produce is enough evidence of that.

Mick's work could use more melody. A lot of his work comes across as overly complex and busy.

edit: and I'd go so far as to attribute the lack of melody to the previous comments about lack of memorability.

Edited by drokk

After playing The New Colossus I'm pretty sure Mick Gordon is not running out of ideas :-), although his masterpiece is still "Mond Mond, ja ja" (Die Käfer), which was released back in 2014.

I don't remember the score in Doom 2016 being very tuneful. It just matched the atmosphere almost perfect.

7 minutes ago, drokk said:

Mick's work could use more melody. A lot of his work comes across as overly complex and busy.

No thank you. More big ass drums and glitches.

53 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Some folks mistakingly use the label whenever they hear syncopated metal tuned below D♭. It's very dismissive.

Most people don't know enough about music to talk about music.

55 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

To be fair I'm pretty sure Mick Gordon himself said in some interview that he doesn't like it when a sequel changes the style of music. So yeah, it'll be more of the same. Whether it's good or bad is debatable.

Fair enough, a similar style is to be expected, although i still would say that is a bit early to say it's just gonna be more of the same since some music could still take different ideas and a more defined theme, much like how doom 2 had the same composer and it had different ideas thrown and isn't a radical departure of the previous game music.

I'll wait till we hear more

I don't think so but he could take a few of the tracks in a more different direction every now and then. For example, Doom 2 had a few funky and groovy tracks in it. A few tracks closer to the 80s heavy metal style would fit in nicely too.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:29 AM, Bauul said:

I wouldn't have said so at all.  Mick Gordon has done a lot more than just the Doom soundtrack: he stuff for Wolfentstein, Prey and Killer Instinct was all very different. 

As a lifetime generator and consumer of soundtracks I wonder why Bethesda replaced every soundtrack with Mick Gordon. I know orchestral music is pretty unpopular now but I liked Bill Brown at the Wolfenstein franchise very much, and the brothers Soule ost for Prey 2006 was one of the most expresive I heard in a videogame at the moment.

Also you risk that everything starts sounding similar and in the same genre. In the snippets of Rage 2 they've been showing so far the music also sounded very similar to Doom's. (the original by Rod Abernethy et al wasn't great but it wasn't electronic)

55 minutes ago, jupiter_ex said:

Also you risk that everything starts sounding similar and in the same genre.

Just like orchestral music, ironically enough. That genre has been suffering from a lack of innovation for a good few years.

22 hours ago, MFG38 said:

You dare throw that derogatory "nu metal" term at Mick Gordon's magnificent music?

What's up with that? 

22 minutes ago, MTF Sergeant said:

What's up with that? 

EVERYTHING.

First of all, it's not nu metal - if anything, it's closer to industrial metal. There's a distinct difference between the two.

Second, calling Mick Gordon's work on DOOM "nu metal" is almost a bigger insult towards him than calling it "dubstep".

Third, the mere fact that you even thought about using the term "nu metal" indicates blatant ignorance on your part.