Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Is Mick Gordon running out of ideas?

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Just like orchestral music, ironically enough. That genre has been suffering from a lack of innovation for a good few years.

mmm.. not sure. Maybe you have some examples of similar orchestral music you're thinking about. I can tell you that doesn't have to be the case.

Anyway I meant "similar" as in "all made by the same author". Also that franchises that had orchestral OSTs and franchises that had electronic OSTs now they both have electronic OSTs. I liked to have the franchises stylistically separated. Mick Gordon's music is punchy and all but it can't fit everywhere.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:53 AM, GoatLord said:

but it doesn't really have any riffs

I'd agree on this for only the one song, "Skullhacker", but all the other metal-y songs are constructed out of melodic riffs I think, just that the notes are like quarter or eighth steps from eachother and sliding pitches (fretless guitar?)

On 8/25/2018 at 9:48 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

Do you think he'll bring back the late night munchies Taco Bell elevator music from Doom II? Can't wait to hear D_Runnin again.

For all of us who take elevators to taco bell at 2am, I think you're being a bit judgemental.

29 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I'd agree on this for only the one song, "Skullhacker", but all the other metal-y songs are constructed out of melodic riffs I think, just that the notes are like quarter or eighth steps from eachother and sliding pitches (fretless guitar?)

When I say "doesn't really have any riffs," I'm speaking less literally and more aesthetically. Mick focused on how distorted guitar can be used as a texture, and was more concerned about the rhythmic possibilities of this application of texture, than say, constructing traditional riff arrangements; that is, building a series of melodic phrases from scales. His approach was ultra contemporary, as a lot of modern music is more rhythmic than melodic, owing to the sheer complexity of timbres afforded by software and amplification.

rofl the DOOM soundtrack is not Nu-Metal. I'd say it matches Industrial Metal pretty much spot on.

Just compare it to something like 3TEETH.

I personally love industrial music so I wouldn't mind if it was more of the same.

Guys...

The sophostication of sound craft that Mick Gordon is pouring in to the games he score...its waayyyyYYYY beyond eny metal band ever exsisted.

There is no image there is no trend there is no groupies...its a guy siting home that is looking for notes and atmosphere that can best translate the feelings of situation.

Compare him with top payed movie, film composers like Hans Zimmer...there is no comparison.

Its one thing use top studio with 80 violin players as 20x before just becouse ur budget can handle it...its other thing to basicly reinvent ur ways to get to sound u belive should work and nail it 100%..in ur living room.

That to me is creativity defined.

I can not wait a new Doom score.Probablly even more then game itself.

No one else can do it better then Mick. As from technical and creative perspective.

I did not knew that the soundtrack was released already, that is very odd given that we dont even got a release date, would you kindly send me a link to where you heard it so i can hear it too? And no, is not nu metal, and the Doom music was ok, Eternal is gonna have a different setting, so he will get new inspiration.

Edit: My internet is working like crap, my comment uploaded 3 times and there is no option to delete them, sorry.

Edited by D88M

I did not knew that the soundtrack was released already, that is very odd given that we dont even got a release date, would you kindly send me a link to where you heard it so i can hear it too? And no, is not nu metal, and the Doom music was ok, Eternal is gonna have a different setting, so he will get new inspiration.

I actually hated D16's soundtrack when I listened to it on YouTube. I couldn't groove to it at all. But after actually buying the game and playing it, it's completely grown on me. It's a perfect fit to the frenetic and brutal action as you go about butchering demons.

I've only seen the gameplay reveal of Doom Eternal, and while I liked what I did hear, the music hardly seemed there. I'm hoping it has more of a presence in the finished product.

Get Andrew Hulzshult to write the OST ...

But in all seriousness I loved Mick's take on the doom music. It was one of the standout features of the game and made a very good product into a truly awesome experience. I would often find myself banging my head and would draw out combat just to keep the music going (the double kick in Necropolis *bites fist*). If it's more of the same then I'll be happy. Not that I wouldn't like to hear some new ideas but I'm not going to not buy the game if the music hasn't changed stylistically.

Genre-wise I'd say Mic is djent/industrial metal when he's doing the heavy stuff. And it is lovely \m/

Was hoping for more focus on rock in the sequel than the electro-rock we got for D4/Doom2016/DooM. Wasn't too much of a fan of it (although the hell soundtrack is goddamn fine).

I hope to be pleased for this new soundtrack, though.

D16's soundtrack is one of the most standout and iconic soundtracks that perfectly captured the mood and theme of the game. i wouldn't have any doubts in my mind about Mick delivering on the sequel as well.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

I actually hated D16's soundtrack when I listened to it on YouTube. I couldn't groove to it at all. But after actually buying the game and playing it, it's completely grown on me. It's a perfect fit to the frenetic and brutal action as you go about butchering demons.

I've only seen the gameplay reveal of Doom Eternal, and while I liked what I did hear, the music hardly seemed there. I'm hoping it has more of a presence in the finished product.

Agreed. It's not that fun to listen to on its own but when you're knee deep in the dead, at the intense firefight at the end of a massive wave, facing off against Barons when low on health and out of rockets, you find your heart beating to the tune. That's what game music is for. It's not supposed to be good standalone, it's supposed to complement and rely on the action.

7 hours ago, Buckshot said:

For all of us who take elevators to taco bell at 2am, I think you're being a bit judgemental.

And lets not forget Doom II map 06 Seinfeld music. I mean whats the deal with The Crusher, why is the Spider Mastermind standing beneath the dang contraption? It's only going to get crushed.

3 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

And lets not forget Doom II map 06 Seinfeld music. I mean whats the deal with The Crusher, why is the Spider Mastermind standing beneath the dang contraption? It's only going to get crushed.

The demon lord(s) were not very happy when the lone spider demon failed on Dis; therefore they spawned one of its kind on a pillar where it couldn't escape.  

Demons hate each other almost as they hate the doomguy.

10 hours ago, blackgoblinmagic said:

Guys...

The sophostication of sound craft that Mick Gordon is pouring in to the games he score...its waayyyyYYYY beyond eny metal band ever exsisted.

There is no image there is no trend there is no groupies...its a guy siting home that is looking for notes and atmosphere that can best translate the feelings of situation.

Compare him with top payed movie, film composers like Hans Zimmer...there is no comparison.

Its one thing use top studio with 80 violin players as 20x before just becouse ur budget can handle it...its other thing to basicly reinvent ur ways to get to sound u belive should work and nail it 100%..in ur living room.

No one else can do it better then Mick. As from technical and creative perspective.

Lol jeez you must have never listened to any metal if you think that. There are plenty of far more sophisticated metal productions ever like idunno pretty much everything Ben Weinman has done. The soundtrack to Doom was great but where its metal its largely derivative of progressive metal and djent style sounds and the industrial aspects are more where the production shines, its suitable to the game but idunno, you prob listen to crap music.

I thought the music in the 2015 doom demos was crap and then I heard the actual soundtrack namely Damnation, dust rust and guts, rip and tear and I found like some incredible production finesse in there, its not amazingly technical guitar work but the use of like various time signatures and rhythms derivative of progressive metal with these industrial elements and the choir elements in damnation produces a lot of dissonance and anxiety. I feel he will be able to recapture that, the rendition of Sign of Evil sounds great and there were some riffs in the earth demo that reminded me of like a mixture of Refused and Converge which funnily enough a refused song was used in a trailer maybe Mick Gordon likes them?!? Mick Gordon seems to know what he's doing, the song on Phobos was kinda boring thats a very generic metalcore riff but ehh there was a lot of tracks on 2016 that sounded like palm muting a 7 string and running it through dblueglitch

11 hours ago, blackgoblinmagic said:

11 hours ago, blackgoblinmagic said:

Guys...

DUDE!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!!!! so much this

Absolutely right. I listen to a broad range of composers and musicians from Hans Zimmer and Johann Johannsson all the way through to Skinny Puppy, Kidneythievs and Nine Inch Nails and such... this to me is one of the most cogent cohesive pieces of sonic art that i have heard in a LONG time..... and its art in the sense of a Bosch painting, grotesque, creepy, unnerving and totally an affront to traditional score and song writers. Great comment.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:11 AM, Agent6 said:

Although I must admit I wasn't a big fan of D2016's soundtrack, just a matter of preference. It was great, but I prefer @Aubrey Hodges's dark ambient work out of all Doom games.

Eh. I like 'em both. I listen to both frequently whilst doing mod work.

14 hours ago, blackgoblinmagic said:

carl.gif.8f42904f6fc61bdf9d5f799f3a451a8c.gif

Mick Gordon is clearly a creative and talented guy but this is the dumbest thing I've read on Doomworld this week. That's quite an achievement.

Yeah, what was the point in questioning Mick's talent after hearing a few bits and pieces from a 20 minute demo, especially considering the music was washed out by the sound effects? That's like seeing a trailer in a theater while people next to you talk loudly and you get distracted by your phone, and then going, "Does this movie have what it takes to be a classic?"

On 8/25/2018 at 11:15 PM, Doominator2 said:

Honestly, I dont remember a single track in Doom 16. Thats how forgettable I find it.

Agreed and it's like that with most modern original soundtracks made by a single person or orchestra. No highs, no lows, just background music to get forgotten, no matter how hard they worked. The only real exception is a title track. I'd wager that modern games using chiptunes have a greater variety between tracks.

I've grown to like the soundtrack over time, but especially in-game do the songs tend to blend together when the only stand-out features are the (admittedly identical) instruments and rhythm. Skullhacker's my favourite.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:57 PM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Get Andrew Hulzshult to write the OST ...

I just played Bombshell (yeap..) and was surprised by the high quality of the music. I don't like all of it but it's very professional and one of the few things done really right in that unfortunate and buggy game

4 hours ago, geo said:

Agreed and it's like that with most modern original soundtracks made by a single person or orchestra. No highs, no lows, just background music to get forgotten, no matter how hard they worked...

I couldn't disagree more with this. I don't want to start ranting :P and fill a post with videos of memorable recent orchestral soundtracks.

Or maybe is it that you simply don't like orchestral music and that's it

Edited by jupiter_ex

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

carl.gif.8f42904f6fc61bdf9d5f799f3a451a8c.gif

Mick Gordon is clearly a creative and talented guy but this is the dumbest thing I've read on Doomworld this week. That's quite an achievement.

Lots of DooM fans are fake metalheads