Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Is Mick Gordon running out of ideas?

I think it sounds just fine. A step away from the dub-djent type shit that was in Doom 2016 (which is totally awesome) but closer to the real heavy or thrash metal that the original games' soundtracks were based on. I think it fits just fine with the classic looks of the demons and guns in Eternal as well.

Honestly I would be perfectly fine if he just took some cues from his work on Killer Instinct. Some of the tracks there would have felt right in place in your average Doom mod.

(at 1:02 you might notice a familiar riff here)

On 8/25/2018 at 9:45 PM, MTF Sergeant said:

Or, is he introducing something new to the table? Doom Eternal's soundtrack didn't feel too appealing to me, because, it's particularly nu metal stuff, and has less of a demonic feel to it. I guess the only track I liked of the gameplay demo was at the near end, after fighting the Baron of Hell. The rest of the soundtrack, as I felt, was just guitar riffs and drums, and basically no usage of computer based sounds. I don't know much about music genres in general, but I need your opinion on this one. 

Mick Gordon is absolutely not running out of ideas. His work is top notch, just take a glance at his portfolio of games . I think you're the one that's running out of thread creating ideas.

Mick Gordon did an amazing work for Doom (2016)'s soundtrack. Don't know why some people didn't like it or even hated it.

Also, no. He isn't running out of ideas. Doom Eternal's music so far is metal as fuck, atleast in my opinion.

I don't think we've heard enough of the music from Doom Eternal to really make a judgement one way or the other. The stuff I *have* heard sounds good to my ears, but we've at most heard what, parts of two, maybe three tracks?

There was absolutely nothing nu-metal about the track playing during the keyboard and mouse session they showed.  That was some straight up grindcore madness if you ask me, more wild than anything from Doom 2016 and is just an indication that this soundtrack will be even more metal which I am not complaining about one bit.  

I also loved the dark psi electronic track playing during the cinematic leading into the Phobos segment of gameplay.  Really set the tone, I felt like a badass watching and I wasn't even playing the game.

Doom 2016's soundtrack was unique and incredible, not only was it the perfect mix between highly aggressive electronica and metal but it actually reacted to and flowed along with your gameplay.  It was also perfect for the theme- fighting the hoardes of Hell in space.  My only gripe was that some of the more thrashy stuff would keep playing after I had killed all the big demons, right up until I found that last pesky imp- sometimes it would take a while to find and so I'd be wandering a seemingly empty lockdown zone with crazy music blaring in my ears which kind of took away from the magic of the soundtrack at times.

In Doom Eternal I hope we get 2016's same style of musical composition but maybe featuring more reimaginations of classic Doom tracks.  Couple that with the interactivity of the music and a fix for the problem I mentioned above and all I foresee is musical perfection.     

Edited by Nairb

I found the music in the demo pretty forgettable and liked Mick Gordon's music for Doom 2016, but I also remember that the 2015 E3 demo had some very forgettable music in it, so I'm sure it'll get more refined before release.

Don't know why some people didn't like it or even hated it.

People have different tastes in music.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, Nairb said:

That was some straight up grindcore madness if you ask me, more wild than anything from Doom 2016 and is just an indication that this soundtrack will be even more metal which I am not complaining about one bit.  

Yah like there was one song during the mouse and keyboard segment i was like "Has he been listening to like mathcore/grindcore recently" I really digged it, like I could tell he was just pulling cards out of the meshuggah playbook in 2016 with all the palm-mute heavy syncopated odd time singature stuff and I was like "i mean its inspired but its not my kinda "progressive" " which is why I'm happy to hear stuff thats more hardcore punk influenced.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:55 PM, PotatoWater said:

I think it sounds just fine. A step away from the dub-djent type shit that was in Doom 2016 (which is totally awesome) but closer to the real heavy or thrash metal that the original games' soundtracks were based on. I think it fits just fine with the classic looks of the demons and guns in Eternal as well.

2018, and People still think anything with electronic sounds is DubStep.

As a reply to the topic proper. I think mick gordon is just getting started. Now that he as enough time to learn his process during the development of Doom 2016, he going to put 100% into the creative aspect of composing for Doom Eternal.

Doom 2016 tracks were a bit dubsteppy. Not all of them, but the ones with the interrupted riffs have dubstep influences (one is played just when you start the game from the main menu, at the beginning I thought it was something wrong with my sound system). My fav doom soundtrack ever is the one made by Andrew hulshult but doom 2016 soundtrack was decent.