Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMer 4ever

Ports and weapons

I was just wondering that how many of you guys play Doom without ports. I couldn't even think about playing with plain doom engine, in fact i became doom addict when i first tried out Zdoom. Free mouselook and always run options are SO cool and handy. And still all the reviewers mention if you can play a wad with doom2.

And there is another question too. I never play with doom2 weapons. They are quite boring. I use the shotgun from duke nukem, double shotgun from serious sam, assault rifle from half-life (I made it myself :), rocket launcher from duke nukem and the rest from doom64 (the main reason i use the doom64 wad is that the blood in doom64 is better, doom blood is too bright. How many of you use custom weapons?

If you're intrested in these weapons, take a look in /combos archive in in-span.net the dt-... are the best weapons. You cannot find the assault rifle though, 'cause i haven't uploaded it :)

By the way, can I use Md2 models in legacy, where can I get them?

DooMer 4ever said:

Free mouselook and always run options are SO cool and handy.

Always run was an option in Vanilla Doom2, not limited to ports.

You are right on the money bro! Without doom soure ports I be still makin' shity vanilla doom maps playing at 320 by 240 resolution.As for legacy I think their isn't any md2's for it yet.

The only time I ever use the original DOS EXE's is when I'm screwing around with DeHacked. I do sometimes use Doom95, which is sort of in between being a port and an official EXE. Most of my playing is done with PrBoom. At the current time, I don't have any favorite resource wad that I use, but that might change.

Yes, D4Ever, I'm with you on the ZDoom rant. SO much better than the original EXEs themselves.

I use the originals exclusively to play. The only times I use a source engine when I hop on to zdaemon, since I can hardly find doomers around here for multi-player, but lately I haven't (last time was over a month ago I think.) I guess I don't mind using zdoom as an editing tool of sorts (the console is good for changing things on the fly) but not for playing. I was into ports at first (when I discovered the internet) but I grew tired of their features and various options and prefer to stick to doom and doom2 with their subtleties, stability (they aren't in constant development) and simplicity.

If I use a source engine I always set it up as closely as possible to doom, as well...

I play the original game most of the time, there are a few exception though:

- I play Zdaemon (with 320x200 res and oldschool settings).

- I play MBF for complex maps and boom specific maps.

- I play other ports for port specific maps, I avoid legacy and jdoom if possible though.

I don't use custom weapons, but zdoom and legacy I use on a regular basis. the old exe is just "collection dust" on my hard drive. as for the md2 models in legacy, they are in development. they don't work yet, but maybe soon.

I generally use JDoom, except when I need to play a map which requires ZDoom, and on occasion when I use the original Doom for old time's sake.

As for custom weapons, I never use custom weapons, mainly because I don't see anything wrong with the normal weapons.

I play the original game from time to time

However, generally, I play Zdaemon (with 320x200 res and oldschool settings).

Well, I rather play doom2.exe (also knew as vanila doom 2) than all the ports. But the ports I use is zdaemon, legacy, zdoom, and a few more, hehe... But i hate mouselook and jumping, to see someone jump on and grab a weapon, you could't get in vaila. I see that as cheat, serious. :P

And if you want autorun in vanila, just edit your default.cfg and set joyb_speed to 31, save it, .... Autorun!... :)

at the moment I’m finishing doom & doom II over under jdoom with the PSX sounds and music, but mostly I switch between Jdoom and ZdoomGL for my dooming needs. I do sometimes have a crack at Prboom or legacy. I'm on a GL port diet. I know some people think doom doesn’t look right under GL ports, but IMO GL handles mouse look better. witch is how I play doom (except when circumstances forbid it)

Here are my ZDOOM settings:

1024x768 resolution
HUD scaled up to the same size it would be in 320x200 (I do not want to look at tiny little numbers)
For 1.22, I use the "big thing" crosshair, and I use the "angle crosshair for 1.23.
DirectDraw palette hack on
Fuzz effect off
Rocket trails on
Blood is sprites and particles
Bullet puffs are sprites.

When I play an older DooM/DooM 2 episode (one that I downloaded in 1998, when I first discovered custom wads) especially one with its own music, I always use vanilla (can't let go of those SB quality tunes when it comes to classic wads....) but playing the wads of today, I normally use Boom or ZDoom. (settings depend on which pc I'm using)

pilottobombadier said:

I have my own custom weapons mod for DDF. I used to have one for dehacked, but I like my DDF one better. It has a railgun.

You can incorporate a railgun into any ZDOOM DeHackEd patch.