Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zombieman

Do you think there should be another Doom horror game?

If it was in the style of Doom 64, hell yeah, a little bit of pew pew and a little bit of pee'd pants.

Doom 3 was just odd.

4 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

Doom 64 is proof that a horror based Doom game can work.

As long as it sticks to its roots and is a fast-paced FPS game.

3 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

As long as it sticks to its roots and is a fast-paced FPS game.

Doom 64 has the fast paced action that Doom is known for, but Aubrey Hodges's soundtrack is the main source of the game's horror elements. The PSX port of Doom is the same. I bet this is the type of horror that most people here want out of Doom.

46 minutes ago, RileyXY1 said:

Doom 64 has the fast paced action that Doom is known for, but Aubrey Hodges's soundtrack is the main source of the game's horror elements. The PSX port of Doom is the same. I bet this is the type of horror that most people here want out of Doom.

Yes. The soundtrack in PSX Doom/Doom 64 really gave you a sense of dread and loneliness. Its atmosphere was untouched.

It sucks that Doom 3 had only one track, and that was the title theme. At least, I think that's the only one. The other is just ambience.

Edited by TakenStew22

Doom 64 isn't really horror, it is however terror.

Doomwas kinda, poorly executed because the horror was kinda eh, and the action (the gunplay specifically) took a massive hit.

A theoretical Terror-based 'Survival Horror' game in the style of Dead Space and/or Left 4 Dead could work, just don't make it a mainline game, listen to the D3 arguments, keep the balance between fun/terror, have great sound design & music, and you should be good to go.

I'd take it tbh. You can make moody horror games with great atmosphere and still keep a good combat system. I'm sure it's not what most people want, though. The appeal of this kind of game would be great enviroment designs, with great art and complex maps. You don't need a developed plot either. It has to be done right, but i'd buy it.