Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iYago

Doomguy in the Quake universe

So how Doomguy would react or feel about the Lovecraftian Quake universe I mean, during the events of the DOOM 1 and 2 Doomguy never express any signs of terror, fear, astonishment, etc. unlike Ranger who is constantly surviving in horrendous places with horrible creatures that goes beyond human comprehension, expresing signs of terror and madness even more on each episode (at least is that how I see it).

What do you guys thing?

(I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say, english is not my native language so sorry if there are some grammar errors)

I'm sure Quake could have been even more fun to play, and more fast-paced if Doomguy was introduced. Thinking of it, keeping the monsters the same as Quake's and replacing Quake's weapons with Doom's does sound kinda absurd, it's more like Doomguy taking a break from Hell, and going back in time to the Lovecraftian era to bash out some ogres and shamblers. It would be a really cool and fun gameplay style though.

Not opposing Ranger, but his style of fighting monsters and the weapons he gets, better fits the lore of Quake, cause after all the game was meant to be more of a medieval and mythological type. The only science fiction stuff you get is on the base themed levels, with stuff like shotguns, grenade launchers etc. and then gets to the ancient parts with the eerie, Castlevania style levels, enemies like ogres and Knights, and weapons like Nailgun, S.Nailgun, and the WORST LOOKING ROCKET LAUNCHER EVER,etc.

Just like how Doom 3 did(not 100%), Quake is more tilted to the creepy factor, rather than Doom's fast-paced, arcade style, so mixing the two together would feel quite absurd, but it can still be fun to play.

Ranger is way more mobile than Doomguy with the way Quake maps are designed though. Doomguy can't rocket jump meanwhile Ranger can spend most of the game flying or hopping at crazy speeds.

10 hours ago, iYago said:

during the events of the DOOM 1 and 2 Doomguy never express any signs of terror, fear, astonishment, etc. unlike Ranger who is constantly surviving in horrendous places with horrible creatures that goes beyond human comprehension, expresing signs of terror and madness

I don't recall their being any expressions of terror and madness on the part of Ranger at any time during Quake. (I never played Quake 3, so perhaps he does there.) As I recall, Ranger just proceeds through the various dimensions, killing everything until telefragging Shub-Niggurath. He doesn't betray any hint of being warped by the nightmarish realms around him.

Sort of like Doomguy, who proceeds through Hell and is constantly surrounded by a variety of demons and things not of this world. I would say Doomguy's encounters are just as much "horrible creatures that go beyond human comprehension" in "horrendous places."

I think Doomguy would handle the dimensions in Quake perfectly well, and would probably like the nailgun and thunderbolt as additions to his standard arsenal.

I've always loved the notion of Lovecraftian hellscapes, and Doomguy would fit in one nicely. It's just that it wouldn't feel like Quake anymore by that point, since there would be no hint of fear (I've always theorized that the music in levels of both games are playing back in the protagonists' heads, so scarier music = scared of whatever the hell you're in) and the gameplay would be a lot faster. And I would think it would be best to keep the Quake arsenal, as it all seems to be a lot more useful (i.e. firing much faster) than the Doom weapons.

As for if the Ranger were in Doom... Well, you have PSX Doom. Or Doom 64. That's pretty much a similar thing to what it would be like.

4 hours ago, Novaseer said:

E3's secret exit.

Doomguy's cute wall boosts look like chump moves compared to Ranger flying through rooms and then keeping that momentum with bunny hopping.

Just now, Pegg said:

Doomguy's cute wall boosts look like chump moves compared to Ranger flying through rooms and then keeping that momentum with bunny hopping.

A rocket jump is a rocket jump.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:06 AM, Novaseer said:

E3's secret exit.

You can strafe run to that exit as well. Call me old-school, but I wouldn't recommend rocket jumping (or rocket pushing in this case); I like keeping my health, armor, and rockets intact. 

Now rocket jumping in Quake, that's a hoot and a half. Or a hoot and three quarters. I always end up killing myself doing it, but it's fun.

Edited by Jello

8 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Doomguy would hate the """"super"""" shotgun, normie shotgun, and nailgun. They're all strictly depowered versions of his own weapons.

the super shotgun in quake feels like a nerf shotgun

On 8/27/2018 at 12:06 PM, Novaseer said:

E3's secret exit.

The funny thing is I didn't find out you were supposed to shoot a rocket point blank until somewhat recently. I would always strafe run, which is pretty feasible if you save right before attempting it.