Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

Are "rafters" possible in vanilla?

Question

Is it possible to use self-referencing sectors (or something else) to create what appears from the bottom to be a 3d floor, but won't need to be walked on or ever viewed from above? The big difference between what I'm trying to do and a bridge is I essentially want to have a solid ceiling when viewed from below. So there'd appear to be two ceilings at one spot.

3 answers to this question

I have thought of an idea, but I haven't tested it. The idea is to use a self-referencing sector to give the beam a bottom, and 1 unit away, use mid-textures to give the beam sides. There would be a 1-unit gap, but it would still be better than mid-textures only. The usual thing to do is to have the rafters along the ceiling, so they would be simply lower ceilings.

I'm assuming what you're asking for is faux-3D that never is walked upon like in this image:

CKjmDhK.png

Quick answer: yes, this is very possible, even in vanilla. The trick used here is mid-textures aligned to a specific height.

Detailed answer: Possible, though it's best reserved for limit-removing because this trick could easily cause drawseg overflows. What I did in the image above is use GIMP to make some textures of specific dimensions (here 128 x 64) and solid black textures (64 x 64 here).

I aligned the textures from the ceiling, not the floor, so they would all have the same vertical alignment, such that they lined up with the tops of these WOOD5 columns, and used the solid black as "filler" so it didn't seem paper-thin like it is.

Doing this in Boom is a better idea because you can use action 242: Create fake floor and ceiling and not have to use self-referencing sectors, which are buggy and can easily cause problems like blocking sound and monster line-of-sight, if you want these things to be solid.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:20 PM, Empyre said:

I have thought of an idea, but I haven't tested it. The idea is to use a self-referencing sector to give the beam a bottom, and 1 unit away, use mid-textures to give the beam sides. There would be a 1-unit gap, but it would still be better than mid-textures only. The usual thing to do is to have the rafters along the ceiling, so they would be simply lower ceilings.

Self-referencing sectors are invisible, that's their whole thing. So they'd be useless for this task. Boom's fake ceiling and floor wouldn't help with the visuals either, as they can make a floor or ceiling's visible height differ from the real one but can't make two ceilings show up in one spot.

It is possible to make one textured ceiling show up below another in vanilla, but it's very limited. Basically, when there's ceiling visible in vanilla, it will always extend all the way to the top until it's stopped by an upper texture or a closer ceiling. So as far as I know, you can only make a "ceiling above ceiling" if you separate the two with a solid wall. It would work like that:

3dceiling.png.f49df27f3d330e61f73035d5424fd91e.png3dceilingdemo.png.6fa6267b3d78f21f425c15717598075c.png

On the screenshot I put a solid wall both on the top and bottom. The bottom one is optional, but by its nature the effect only works when viewed from one side, so anything put back there instead of a wall would have to be inaccessible. There are further limits, as the 3d ceiling's height, width, length and thickness (aka the midtexture's height) all play a role in how close the player may get without the effect breaking.

It's a really interesting effect that indeed places "two ceilings in one spot", so I thought it's worth sharing. I'm sure it has a lot of potential, but if you're aiming to make "rafters", something relatively thin that's in the middle of a room and can be freely viewed from any angle, Aquila's midtexture idea would be a much better fit.