Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Cyberpunk 2077 [first-person RPG]

The backlash this game is facing makes me wonder if this is going to kill of CDPR. Like, gamer backlash is pretty common these days so that wouldn't be in on itself a cause for concern but the fact is that they've also managed to piss of Sony for announcing their refund policy without consulting them, pissing off their employees for crunching them and now stockholders panicking I can't help but feeling that this might be something that causes them to die similar death to Troika Games when Bloodlines bombed.

11 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

And in case you’re wondering, this is the studio head of CDPR.

IMG-1167.jpg

Marvel's Avengers didn't have 8 million preorders...

Looks like they released a new update on consoles to fix performance and stability issues and some game bugs, not out on PC yet though, but you can read what it changes on the launcher.

Spoiler

People can be fucking garbage on the internet, some people are being more awful than they should with death threats or attacking people specifically. These people don't deserve to be heard and are the worst kind of people. Yes the backlash is deserved but nobody should be attacked for this.

Sending fucking death threats because a video game was disappointing. I legitimately wonder if such people are actually mentally unwell.

38 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Sending fucking death threats because a video game was disappointing. I legitimately wonder if such people are actually mentally unwell.

What do you think?

Of course they are. Many of those are just big mouths, but I don't doubt genuinely twisted individuals are also among them.

"Mildest". It's just the october delay. This kind of behavior is encouraged nowadays anyway, because it's all fun to be harassing people in part of the epic raids, and no matter the hypocrisy of the social media owners, it's the principal function of their fucked-up services.

Sorry brb spying likes and putting devs on good penitent behavior probation.

The DLCs and Multiplayer are going to be delayed even further judging by the way things are going for old gen consoles.

20201219205818-1.jpg

20201219205912-1.jpg

20201219213402-1.jpg

Edited by sluggard

5 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

CD Projekt still has their GOG.com division (which is internally called CD Projekt Blue) so they won't die.

Yeah, GOG.com is also facing similar levels of backlash for rescinding an announcement of Devotion being released on that platform, right after it was announced.

6 hours ago, Blizzie the Mare said:

The backlash this game is facing makes me wonder if this is going to kill of CDPR. Like, gamer backlash is pretty common these days so that wouldn't be in on itself a cause for concern but the fact is that they've also managed to piss of Sony for announcing their refund policy without consulting them, pissing off their employees for crunching them and now stockholders panicking I can't help but feeling that this might be something that causes them to die similar death to Troika Games when Bloodlines bombed.

Considering how hard the entire 2077 launched bombed to the point where legal consequences are within the realm of possibility, I wouldn’t be all too surprised if it turned out this took a major chunk out of CDPR if not kill the entire company in one fell swoop.

It really isn’t a guarantee though, considering that they’re literally backed financially by the Polish government.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

My biggest gripe with this game so far is people trying to scapegoat Kingdom Come : Deliverance for it. 

... wait, what?

It's just a period, some patching up and It'll pass, some really fun gameplay and genuinely great moments if you ignore the noise.

Edited by sluggard

It is bad enough, that the game is a mess, on what is supposed to be the gold standard (playstation 4 and Xbox One), what really worries me, is that reviewers has expressed confusion about what the game is actually trying to say. CDPR has always been hailed for their writing, but this ones getting flack for having downright bad writing. Not that I always trust sources like IGN, but technical glitches aside, getting a score of 7/10, which translates to 'mediocre', is a disaster. Others have lamblasted the implementation of gameplay mechanics.

It makes the No Man's Sky launch pale. But after all, that one turned out to be a pretty good game four years down the line. I guess I might get this in a couple of years on a sale, if they iron out the bugs.

Gamespot compiled a list of funny bugs:

Edited by lakersforce

8 minutes ago, lakersforce said:

but this ones getting flack for having downright bad writing

Every fucking body praises the writing, except some mad blogger from Kotaku. Aren't you all out of reality?

On 12/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, Sunnyfruit said:

I don't see that. I see people trying to shit on the whole game while cherrypicking bugs from the worst versions, people literally hyping up a so-called CDPR stock market fall, and claiming this is a good time to sue them because the wrath of gamers. I'm sorry but I fail to see the morality or utility of it all.

What I mean is that I don't like to see failure masqueraded as malice.

Well, given the last pages, it seems I was "seeing things correctly", after all.

9 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

Every fucking body praises the writing, except some mad blogger from Kotaku. Aren't you all out of reality?

And by everybody, you mean Youtubers bought off with bling, not certified reviewers, from real outlets. I was referring to the IGN review, which more or less calls the writing bad and the world building unimaginative and boring.

21 minutes ago, lakersforce said:

And by everybody, you mean Youtubers bought off with bling, not certified reviewers, from real outlets. I was referring to the IGN review, which more or less calls the writing bad and the world building unimaginative and boring.

I mean testers that I actually trust and that gave the PS4/One version a 35% score, and the accounts of people who actually played the game, including myself. Calling this world unimaginative and boring when everybody actually praises the art direction and rich characters while lamenting the technical aspects is just bonkers. I bet IGN of all places would have been the prime sellout suspect if that reviewer wasn't visibly triggered by boobies and fuckoffs.

edit: oh geeee, not only is the world unimaginative, but it's also racist, ignoring the fact Pondsmith is a black Marxist

Unfortunately, Cyberpunk 2077 has also been associated with problematic representations of minority groups, with fans upset over the treatment of a gang of Haitian criminals in particular, noting that their group being referred to as the "Animals" is an offensive, harmful, and lazy stereotype of culture. Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the tabletop franchise that spawned Cyberpunk 2077, recently went to bat for CD Projekt Red's representation of culture, however. In a scathing reply in a Reddit thread about his recent video interview, Pondsmith had this to say on his involvement and approval of what's happening in Cyberpunk 2077:

"1) If I wasn't heavily involved, I would be able to get more done. As it is, I barely have a life. 2) As for the Animals--the WHOLE FREAKING POINT is that they think of themselves as POWERFUL, DANGEROUS, WILD ANIMALS. You'd have thought the Lady named "Sasquatch" would have given them a clue. 3) The original Voodoo Boys were a scathing commentary on cultural appropriation. I LOVE the idea that real practicioners of Voudon moved in and took back their turf. And they even got the Creole right! 4) Who the (bleep) do YOU think you are to tell ME whether or not MY creation was done right or not?"

https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-creator-on-fan-criticism-cyberpunk-2077/

CDPR reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edited by Sunnyfruit

I do agree all the attacks on the nature of the content is extremely bad faith and coming from what is becoming an increasingly warped preconception about the world that seems to be ingratiated in some parts of gaming journalism.

I'm just more disappointed at the type of game it's ended up becoming, it just doesn't fit with what my hopes for it were when they first announced it, it probably ceased being a game for me when they started on it proper in 2016.

But they do need to fix their shit, and maybe not try to sneak broken ports behind their backs, there really is no excusing any of that. 

10 minutes ago, hybridial said:

But they do need to fix their shit, and maybe not try to sneak broken ports behind their backs, there really is no excusing any of that. 

I just want to make clear once again that the reason I give them a somehow pass is that they claim to be working on that and are already releasing patches. I will never say the old gen versions are acceptable.

Genre fiction like cyberpunk can't have good writing so CP2077 had to make do with what it had

/smug

20201220153058-1.jpg

Spoiler

Johnny asks too many questions about taking control of me lol, does this game have multiple endings?

Also the side quest where you help a couple find out what happened to the mayor, when you find out what's been happening to the couple

Edited by sluggard

2 hours ago, Sunnyfruit said:

edit: oh geeee, not only is the world unimaginative, but it's also racist, ignoring the fact Pondsmith is a black Marxist

Well the thing is whilst Mike's usage of these tropes is meant to be condemnation rather than endorsement, we need to remember that he was mainly consultant in the game, not the driving creative force, not to mention that even people with best intentions might end up making something horrible despite their best intentions. Besides, death of the author kinda dictates that what ever Pondsmith and rest of the team developing the game might mean by their product, it's only one interpretation of the said game, not the truth which all other interpretations of the work must adhere to.

Personally I was so focused on V's journey with their "fatal illness" and character's they interacted along the way that I didn't really give a damn about the problematic content of the game aside from noticing it exists. Aside one instance it wasn't the biggest issue I had with the game (which was the amount of bugs and just the fact that Night City as a setting feels rather soulless compared to the world in The Witcher 3).

RE Sluggard: 

Spoiler

It does indeed have multiple endings, but I think lest you go out of your way to give Johnny control it shouldn't really matter till you start the quest that's the point of no return.

20 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

It really isn’t a guarantee though, considering that they’re literally backed financially by the Polish government.

I could see the funding from the Polish govt. being reduced if GOG.com continues to cater to CCP.

23 hours ago, lakersforce said:

It makes the No Man's Sky launch pale.

No, it absolutely does not... No Man's Sky was on a whole different level.

That game got hyped to death by the devs, media, and gamers, only for the last two groups to realize near launch time, that it was a scam all along. The developers literally lied about features and content that was either not there at all, or different than advertised, on top of being generally a barebones, incomplete experience.

It was released as Early Access quality at most. CP has its issues but otherwise it's a finished, albeit unpolished game. No Man's Sky was a complete trainwreck in comparison.

Edited by seed

I would argue tho that the expectations and hype were much higher given CP2077 is billed as a tentpole AAA tittle where NMS was a B tier semi indie release. Shure, NMS was much more broken at release but it really wasn't marketed as a mass market product which counts for a lot, since CP2077 was aimed for an audiences that most AAA games are aimed for: That large segment of gamers who enjoy the spectacle and maybe buys 2 or 3 games a year. Given that's the market segment that's getting disappointed here is the key reason CDPR is in such of a deep mess right now. 

55 minutes ago, Blizzie the Mare said:

I would argue tho that the expectations and hype were much higher given CP2077 is billed as a tentpole AAA tittle where NMS was a B tier semi indie release. Shure, NMS was much more broken at release but it really wasn't marketed as a mass market product which counts for a lot, since CP2077 was aimed for an audiences that most AAA games are aimed for: That large segment of gamers who enjoy the spectacle and maybe buys 2 or 3 games a year. Given that's the market segment that's getting disappointed here is the key reason CDPR is in such of a deep mess right now. 

Well, yes, but I would say it matters more in the context of the attention and marketing it received, which is what led to its unreasonable hype and expectations in the first place, but NMS also received copious amounts of that, otherwise the internet wouldn't have gone nuclear after it released in such a lackluster state, smaller titles rarely enjoy such treatment and backlash, especially, which blurs the line between fact and fiction.

The reality still remains that NMS was objectively worse at launch than CP.