Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Cyberpunk 2077 [first-person RPG]

Ugh the negative nancies

It's selling like crazy, reviewed well, top played and top streamed, and those pre-orders

Don't care what's going to happen in the future, play it and enjoy it now, and with rumors of multiplayer being like GTA Online and Red Dead Online this game might stick around for a long time, Free DLC will come later aswell among some other things.

Edited by sluggard

1 minute ago, sluggard said:

Ugh the negative nancies here

It's selling like crazy, Top played and Top streamed, and those pre-orders

Has nothing to do with how good it actually might be. Not everyone buys into hype and just assumes something will be good because said hype. I don't even really care if it's "good" at all, I care if I would actually like it. And if I don't, as I said, I don't care who disagrees with me, it doesn't matter. 

That's why with this I'm at the very least going to wait till they fix the issues it has because it is a CDPR game and all of those have released in patchy condition. 

CP2077 would have to go above and beyond Deus Ex: Human Revolution's classism-based story to really draw me in. I simply don't connect to many themes in cyberpunk fiction. It looks like a really fun game to fuck around in like GTAV but will it be really engaging storywise? I don't know. 

12 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Has nothing to do with how good it actually might be. Not everyone buys into hype and just assumes something will be good because said hype. I don't even really care if it's "good" at all, I care if I would actually like it. And if I don't, as I said, I don't care who disagrees with me, it doesn't matter. 

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, don't want to sully the topic with that bullshit. Let those that have chosen that hill be fucking miserable they seem to be happier that way lol.

Always best to avoid those places if you really want to get immersed in the game and not be swayed by what others think, don't overthink it.

Just now, sluggard said:

Let those that have chosen that hill be fucking miserable they seem to be happier that way lol.

Oh, so I don't like what you like so I'm miserable? 

Yeah, the reason you might see us as angry is because you're for sure saying things that would make someone angry, for no good reason. 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

Oh, so I don't like what you like so I'm miserable? 

Not at all, like I said you're free to like or dislike whatever you want

Opinions are subjective. But the fact that the game is receiving positive reviews and breaking Steam record despite PC problems is enough to make it a must-have.

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Opinions are subjective. But the fact that the game is receiving positive reviews and breaking Steam record despite PC problems is enough to make it a must-have.

Why? Why on earth does that prove anything for anybody? If they want it they want it, if they don't want it they don't want it, and if they don't care they don't care, and if they're open to trying it at some point, they'll do that. I'm in the last group, maybe semi interested, but I've lived long enough to know that marketing is built around making money first and foremost, and that human beings often place weight on things not for the thing itself but because of the status it represents. 

But why should any individual be swayed solely by a what others think or do before they apply their own thoughts and feelings to the matter? I understand if someone believes they will really like it and it excites them going full bore into it, that is their choice, but how about they focus on their own choices instead of giving people crap for not sharing the same position? 

Pretty cityscapes, great characters, meaningful choices and dialogues that really help flesh out the story and the world, satisfying combat, banging soundtrack, the exploration, all of it just clicks the right buttons for me.

Edited by sluggard

Eh, looks fun but I dont get the hype. Nothing about the game looks revolutionary or anything and it kind of looks like they're marketing the game towards edgy 14 year olds. The game's marketing was pretty much just "We made the Witcher 3" and penis sliders, which isn't enough to sell me on the game. 

Which brings me to the point about the god like status CDPR has gained, which I dont get at all. Before the Witcher 3, almost no one I knew has even heard about the Witcher, except for maybe some die hard cRPG fans. Then when the Witcher 3 came out, it still was pretty much only talked about in some cRPG circles until some how it blew up out of no where and everyone and their dog was playing the Witcher 3 and claiming that video games we're ruined for ever because of how perfect the Witcher was.

Then, came all the people talking how great the Witcher is as a series and how the its the ultimate trilogy and on and on, and to be honest, the Witcher 3 is pretty good but I dont get why people think its the greatest game of all time. It looks nice and has nice environments, but the gameplay kills it for me, every single mission devolves into using Witcher senses to follow a trail, fight monsters with repetitive combat and so on.

So anyways, judging by my experience with the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk is gonna look nice and be immersive, but its gonna have a boring story with repetitive gameplay.

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

Why? Why on earth does that prove anything for anybody? If they want it they want it, if they don't want it they don't want it, and if they don't care they don't care, and if they're open to trying it at some point, they'll do that. I'm in the last group, maybe semi interested, but I've lived long enough to know that marketing is built around making money first and foremost, and that human beings often place weight on things not for the thing itself but because of the status it represents. 

But why should any individual be swayed solely by a what others think or do before they apply their own thoughts and feelings to the matter? I understand if someone believes they will really like it and it excites them going full bore into it, that is their choice, but how about they focus on their own choices instead of giving people crap for not sharing the same position? 

I agree with you here, but sometimes it is this group of people who don't like the said thing who are the ones throwing shit at others.

Let's be honest, how many times you've seen someone, somewhere, give other people rubbish because they clearly enjoy what they don't, and call them a million things in the process? I swear those people live solely just to hate on something. Which is fine by me, if you like boiling in hatred and frustration everyday for petty reasons, but you could also keep your pettiness to yourself rather than purposefully making others feel miserable.

CP doesn't really attract me that much either - on top of not being able to play it at any point in the next couple of years anyway -, similar to what Freeze said above, the whole thing doesn't quite resonate with me. You mentioned Blane Runner previously, I saw that movie and same result, it didn't wow me much. I suppose it's just not for me.

2 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

It looks nice and has nice environments, but the gameplay kills it for me, every single mission devolves into using Witcher senses to follow a trail, fight monsters with repetitive combat and so on.

I.e. the constant problem with open world gameplay design. 

This will be controversial but whilst I do acknowledge it's kind of a shallow mess, I got more out of Skyrim than I ever did or ever will from The Witcher. The general premise of the Elder Scrolls games is more about freedom to do as you please and the story and main quests are there but there's not much pressure to do them. That game really was about following the wind, and I kinda liked that about it. I just didn't like when Bethesda tried to make Fallout that because it was so antithetical to Fallout's identity, and whenever the next Elder Scrolls finally surfaces I absolutely dread how they're going to inevitably ruin it with some terrible business practice.

But The Witcher 3 has a set character, a clear emphasis on the plot but gameplay design that involves a lot of wandering around doing side quests that just feel like time filler. 1 and 2 did not do that and I feel that's the right choice, but I still didn't like them. 

To me it's either or, you can't make an RPG with a big focus on plot yet make it open world at the same time, they really contradict one another. It's why whilst Skyrim has many criticisms you can make of it I would agree with, it often was attacked for simply being what it was and not being something else. 

Maybe Cyberpunk will balance these things well, I likely will play it eventually to find out. 

From what I have been hearing, C2077 isn't performing well on the consoles, which doesn't seem to be a good sign of it working well on my PC either, although the reports suggest otherwise.

For what I have, it's 8GB RAM, Intel i5-6500, Radeon RX 460 2GB. So if I somehow hit the system RAM I will be looking at it running at 30 FPS or lesser.

Edit: NVidia's own RTX cards are having trouble with the game. I heard that the game barely hits 60FPS at max settings even with NVidia GPUs. And a couple of people are saying the game doesn't hit 60 FPS on older Nvidia GTX cards.

This pretty much resembles what happened with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 back when it was released with actual system requirements being even more higher than what got advertised.

Edited by Cacodemon345

3 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Eh, looks fun but I dont get the hype. Nothing about the game looks revolutionary or anything and it kind of looks like they're marketing the game towards edgy 14 year olds. The game's marketing was pretty much just "We made the Witcher 3" and penis sliders, which isn't enough to sell me on the game.

If it can reassure you, the actual game has nothing to do with the way the marketing team presented it. No get rich or die tryin', no punk tuning, no washed-up beer-belly rock'n'roll. It's Night City first and a heap of awkward missions next. But the organic nature of the city... the whole over-the-top culture... the underground braindance... the neon katanaka... I'm in love. The city feels alive and the characters are actually attaching, unlike most of the AAA games who just go with boring, name-dropping pretentiousness (nu-Deus Ex, oh look, it's the illuminati and stuff who are just boring bureaucrats! is robot still human????). But outside of the design, the game is so lacking in content and is trying to make up with the crappy, outdated mission format, probably after whole concepts were thrown away on the cutting room floor. I just don't understand, and I'm just praying that CDP realizes that they don't need to reinvent the wheel and just need to look after the Yakuza games to give the last piece of Night City's soul.

3 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

So anyways, judging by my experience with the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk is gonna look nice and be immersive, but its gonna have a boring story with repetitive gameplay.

I'd say, if you liked Neuromancer and Deus Ex 1, you'll love this game. If you do not know any of those and you're not into futuristic Japan or the neon Blade Runner stuff, it's probably not for you. Which is fine. But after giving up on it because of the marketing, I realize it always was for me. This game is so lackluster in his obvious hesitations about its own identity but I love it so much, as a cultural product instead of a videogame.

24 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

If it can reassure you, the actual game has nothing to do with the way the marketing team presented it. No get rich or die tryin', no punk tuning, no washed-up beer-belly rock'n'roll. It's Night City first and a heap of awkward missions next. But the organic nature of the city... the whole over-the-top culture... the underground braindance... the neon katanaka... I'm in love. The city feels alive and the characters are actually attaching, unlike most of the AAA games who just go with boring, name-dropping pretentiousness (nu-Deus Ex, oh look, it's the illuminati and stuff who are just boring bureaucrats! is robot still human????). But outside of the design, the game is so lacking in content and is trying to make up with the crappy, outdated mission format, probably after whole concepts were thrown away on the cutting room floor. I just don't understand, and I'm just praying that CDP realizes that they don't need to reinvent the wheel and just need to look after the Yakuza games to give the last piece of Night City's soul.

I'd say, if you liked Neuromancer and Deus Ex 1, you'll love this game. If you do not know any of those and you're not into futuristic Japan or the neon Blade Runner stuff, it's probably not for you. Which is fine. But after giving up on it because of the marketing, I realize it always was for me. This game is so lackluster in his obvious hesitations about its own identity but I love it so much, as a cultural product instead of a videogame.

I mean yeah, I love Deus Ex and those games, and I'm not doubting its a great game. I just dont personally understand why people claim that Cyberpunk is groundbreaking and revolutionary. My confusion is more about the fact that this game was hyped an ungodly amount solely because its made by the guys who made the Witcher 3, which before that game was a series mainly known in smaller cRPG circles. I haven't even heard about Cyberpunk 2077 until around mid 2016, but apparently people have been waiting for this game since 2012 based off of concept teaser? Have I just been completely oblivious or was CDPR actually that much of a household name before The Witcher 3?

32 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

I mean yeah, I love Deus Ex and those games, and I'm not doubting its a great game. I just dont personally understand why people claim that Cyberpunk is groundbreaking and revolutionary. My confusion is more about the fact that this game was hyped an ungodly amount solely because its made by the guys who made the Witcher 3, which before that game was a series mainly known in smaller cRPG circles. I haven't even heard about Cyberpunk 2077 until around mid 2016, but apparently people have been waiting for this game since 2012 based off of concept teaser? Have I just been completely oblivious or was CDPR actually that much of a household name before The Witcher 3?

I remember people praising Witcher 2 as the raunchy better Skyrim around 2013, but it was more unsufferable anticonformists than anything else. Then Witcher 3 got all the hype and the fanbase grew tenfold. The expansion packs were full of content and made TW3 even more of a titan in the WRPG genre, while Bethesda was busy re-releasing Skyrim.

Also, CDPR are also behind GoG and for that they got a strong support from the anti-DRM and the retrogaming userbases.

Add to that that Cyberpunk never had that great of a reputation to begin with and with the 80s revival that started around 2014, people placed all their hopes on CDProjekt to create a strong foundation for the future of both cyberpunk and retrowave genres.

And finally, the Lemming effect, that CDPR exploited masterfully with their marketing and the Night City Wire videos. Unfortunately for them, hype is a dangerous thing.

How are all the early players finding cyberpunk so far?

I have been super hyped for this game but a few of the prereleases reviews I saw said it was a bit of a buggy mess :-(

Is that true or did the day 1 patch sort most of the bugs out?

I can see why they delayed it. I've had some bugs but nothing game breaking.

Big pee pee physics. 

7 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

So far the reactions are somewhat mixed. A high amount of praise for the game, which includes the gameplay, but the graphics and performance are the ones getting the most flak (the later arguably so) and the console releases run badly on anything earlier than Xbox Series S/X or PS5. Stadia users are fine. The non-raytraced graphics in C2077 are also getting a fair amount of flak, reportedly looking trash as compared to raytraced graphics. Even on the highest end PC hardware the FPS does not reach 100 FPS and fluctuates between 40 and 90FPS.

Nvidia put out new drivers yesterday which addressed some of the performance issues on the graphical end. Using GFE for the optimal settings for your card helps alot too. I use NVslimmer on my driver installs I dial it in myself. 

Believe AMD did as well. Can't much for the console ports. CDPR still have some work to do on bug squishing. I still think it's worth if you have decent PC hardware and can't wait to play it any longer. 

Otherwise wait for it to get discounted and patched up. :D 

21 hours ago, SYS said:

...Big pee pee physics. 

I guess the size setting affects range and damage when slapping someone.

I have it installed and ready to go on PC, but I've heard a lot of scare stories about some pretty horrendous Fallout 76-tier bugs, so I'm happy enough to wait for a few updates to drop.

Glad I didn't buy it on console - I only have the base PS4/XB1 systems and from what I've seen those versions are currently on fire.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:11 PM, DooM Bear said:

I'm about ten hours in and am having a great time. The bugs are pretty entertaining and haven't outright broken the game yet. In a weird way the bugs don't feel that out of place because of how glitchy the world is presented. It's fun to share bug stories with one of my friends who's also playing, but we'll both be happy to see them get ironed out. It's not too dissimilar to Skyrim from back in the day, with dragons flying backwards and all.

Overall the game looks pretty great especially with ray tracing, but makes my gpu fans sound like a jet engine, even with all options set to the lowest setting and no RTX. Characters look a bit dated and it's funny watching them clip through objects, float in the air and t pose occasionally, but the models and textures look great for a game that started eight years ago, and the world is pretty stellar looking in general.

Some of the exposition is tedious and trivial, but there are moments that are pretty investing. My friend is further along and says the story gets really good. I like all the characters so far and the world feels real enough, at least for my taste. It sort of reminds me of Rage but more realized and GTA but less realized. I never got into the Witcher games or Fallout so my comparison might not be totally accurate.

Other than a slight mouse acceleration issue, the controls and combat feel good and the scanner adds a really fun dimension to it, though it almost requires a bit of finger dexterity on a keyboard, at least for me. The game is sort of loot and gear based which I'm not a huge fan of, but requires enough skill that you can still manage without swapping for better weapons, at least in the early game, plus there's quick saving. Driving is not great on a keyboard but luckily you can switch to 3rd person so it's not as painful, but I end up traveling on foot most of the time because you miss a lot by driving past everything.

Anyway these are just a few of my thoughts so far on the game. I wasn't going to get it yet because wanted to wait until hype dies down and the bugs get sorted, but my friend wanted someone to share the experience with and I'm glad I did, it's really fun so far!

I might just buy this for PS4. As a bonus I'll be able to replay it when I buy a PS5, which should be sometime around when the PS6 comes out.

It's a blast, there's a lot to unpack but let me just say the RPG stuff never feel like they get in the way of enjoying the main story quests, I almost forgot to spend my perk and attribute points because I got carried away with how good the story stuff is lol, though you still have to keep an eye on your weapon and clothing stats if you don't want enemies to be bulletspongy, the usual RPG affair. This will likely be different for side quests but I haven't gotten to that point yet. The early missions are somewhat slow and feel like introductory stuff to get you acquainted with the mechanics of the game, but thankfully most of it can be skipped with a simple dialogue choice. You can play it almost any way you want, so glad stealth is not mandatory and there's no real level barriers to doing the main quests like there was in TW3.

So far I didn't get any bugs, other than Jackie and other NPCs weirdly walking through doors and vehicles early on, doesn't seem to happen in later missions, I'm guessing they fixed it in 1.04 by the time I got there.

Spoiler

There's a really cool mission later on where you go to an Arasaka building to steal a chip for immortality, you hack into cameras and make way to the bot to find where the chip is being hidden, lots of other cool sequences like that. Also is it bad that I feel a bit shitty everytime I accidentally upset Jackie lol :(

"Gee, this corpo talk can even make hacking sound boring" lol

Edited by sluggard

Ima put my cents on this game, it looks like it has some really good gameplay and a story but it's being held with duct tape. There are bugs everywhere and it looks worse than a 2014 games in some parts. It should have been delayed, this is on the latest patch aswell.

Game is undercooked as shit. PS4 looks like a blurry PS3 game and is riddled with bugs. Story is... fine. Gun play is nothing special at all, a bit clunky. Driving is lol (especially m&k). RPG element feels shoehorned in and half-baked. Honestly the whole thing feels reminiscent of No Man’s Sky. Too ambitious of a project that people hyped to no end. CDPR bit off more than they could chew. Hope the patches keep rolling in 

I knew what to expect leading up to release and I'm happy with how the game is (obviously bugs notwithstanding)

It really seems like people expected an open world on the level of GTA while I expected something more akin to the recent Deus Ex games.

The bugs will get sorted out eventually just like with TW3, especially now that they have more than just internal testers telling them exactly what they need to fix, in all honesty I haven't encountered a single bug other than the one I mentioned previously, though to be fair I'm playing it on PC, I guess nothing will stop those casuals from complaining about literally anything and everything lol.

1 hour ago, Serum said:

Game is undercooked as shit. PS4 looks like a blurry PS3 game and is riddled with bugs. Story is... fine. Gun play is nothing special at all, a bit clunky. Driving is lol (especially m&k). RPG element feels shoehorned in and half-baked. Honestly the whole thing feels reminiscent of No Man’s Sky. Too ambitious of a project that people hyped to no end. CDPR bit off more than they could chew. Hope the patches keep rolling in 

I actually care about the characters, which is extremely rare for me in a videogame. I agree that there is a feeling of clunkyness that I can't shake away, though. It feels like at least half of the game ended on the cutting room floor.

As for the bugs, the patches will roll in. At least CDPR won't get more death threats for reporting their game.